The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quimbo's breeding?

I'm very curious as to what (breed or breeds) comprise his pedigree??; he is simply spectacular! (They say "Spanish-bred", but he is obviously neither a mustang nor a baroque breed, so there must be some purpose-bred TBs and/or WBs in their breeding program.)

Be still, my heart...He is simply exquisite, and what an athlete! Yummy.

(Some good riding --not to dismiss the "pilot's" influence--he too was phenomenal. It was a pure PLEASURE to watch them jump around that course.)
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

3 members found this post helpful.

Assuming Horsetelex is correct....

http://www.horsetelex.com/horses/pedigree/1529105
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Interesting!

By a holsteiner stallion out of a Spanish bred mare that looks to go back to some hannovarian blood. Grandfather is Landgraf I. Only 28% blood which certainly was not apparent in the way he tackled that course. Beautiful horse.

I do believe horsetelex is correct as it lines up with the FEI database.http://https://data.fei.org/Horse/Detail.aspx?p=FD083D872332AF87DAD4B2C616EE7F7B

I just watched them go xc, gorgeous horse! And flawless riding of course.
    Quimbo's dam is listed as a CDE (Spanish Sportshorse?)...I've never heard of that breed before. Interesting!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Do you think that's his real tail? I guess these guys would all have fake tails from dressage yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by ellebeaux View Post
    Do you think that's his real tail? I guess these guys would all have fake tails from dressage yesterday?
    Nobody really uses fake tails in eventing. I'm not even sure they are actually allowed in eventing.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

3 members found this post helpful.

oh! Then there are some awfully nice tails out there

Or some really excellent grooms

Some horses use fake tails in dressage, I can think of a few off the top of my head who have lovely 3 day tails, and no so nice every day tails

They don't run with them cross country though.

1 members found this post helpful.

SNORT wrongo! Fake tails aplenty in the dressage phase and the jog-up.

Jennifer

2 members found this post helpful.

ROFL, Jennifer is absolutely right. LOTS of fake tails in both of those sections. I personally find them ridiculous, but it doesn't hurt the horse so to each their own, I suppose.

CDE stands for Caballo Deporte Espanol (sorry can't find the correct squiggles for the vowels on my keyboard).
    They are given that upon being sold/shipped/removed from Spain to elsewhere. I do not believe that denotes that they are of Spanish breeding but merely that they were raised in Spain and deported.
    So don't think he's like baroque bred. I understand from Snoopy who posted a very nice snippet of an interview with Andrew, that indicated his owner and breeder, as well as the sister, have been breeding superb jumping line horses for many years, coming from an original herd developed by their father. Andrew purchased Quimbo and another Qwanza as 3yo's from them, originally meant as jumpers.
    They have some warmblood breeding but the mares are developed by the family in Spain and are of their concentration from what I gathered from Snoopy's snippet. It's on another thread and I'll try to find it and link it.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ed-here!/page3 - post #59, viney's got it
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    CDE stands for Caballo Deporte Espanol (sorry can't find the correct squiggles for the vowels on my keyboard).
    They are given that upon being sold/shipped/removed from Spain to elsewhere. I do not believe that denotes that they are of Spanish breeding but merely that they were raised in Spain and deported.
    So don't think he's like baroque bred. I understand from Snoopy who posted a very nice snippet of an interview with Andrew, that indicated his owner and breeder, as well as the sister, have been breeding superb jumping line horses for many years, coming from an original herd developed by their father. Andrew purchased Quimbo and another Qwanza as 3yo's from them, originally meant as jumpers.
    They have some warmblood breeding but the mares are developed by the family in Spain and are of their concentration from what I gathered from Snoopy's snippet. It's on another thread and I'll try to find it and link it.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ed-here!/page3 - post #59, viney's got it
    From what Horsetelex lists, he's got Hann/Holst/SF and a little TB way in the back - unless there is something in that unknown part of his dam's lines, I thought it was a little confusing that they refer to him as "Spanish-bred", which makes people thing he's got to be part PRE or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    From what Horsetelex lists, he's got Hann/Holst/SF and a little TB way in the back - unless there is something in that unknown part of his dam's lines, I thought it was a little confusing that they refer to him as "Spanish-bred", which makes people thing he's got to be part PRE or something.
    Yes, they should have said bred in Spain, maybe? The Spanish-bred did bring to mind a Baroque breed, which was quite funny when you looked at Quimbo.

I still don't understand why the term "CDE" looks just like a breed acronym on the Pedigree, when it really is not.

In any case...Gorgeous horse!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/quimbo

This is the pedigree I came up with - dam's damline missing. I haven't found a single person that didn't flat fall in love with him! Jeez, and I always thought Andrew N. was sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    SNORT wrongo! Fake tails aplenty in the dressage phase and the jog-up.

Jennifer
    REally ? in eventing?? Bummer..
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Hmm I seem to be vaguely remembering an interesting discussion a while back about using some kind of paint or whatever to get quarter marks on greys and I know there was a question if this was legal because of some rule stating something along the lines of "no artificial alterations" or something like that. Fake tails in eventing is news to me! Honestly, I thought eventers were above that vanity stuff. But then again, I don't even pull my horse's tail because I think its ridiculous.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Yes, they should have said bred in Spain, maybe? The Spanish-bred did bring to mind a Baroque breed, which was quite funny when you looked at Quimbo.

I still don't understand why the term "CDE" looks just like a breed acronym on the Pedigree, when it really is not.

In any case...Gorgeous horse!
    I think the confusing part is that (IMO) usually, when referring to the country of origin, you include a breed after that, like an Irish-bred TB. Just saying the horse is Irish-bred would sort of imply some RID lines in there somewhere.

Anyone know if/what Quimbo is registered as? Allbreed just says WB and Horsetelex just shows CDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    I'm very curious as to what (breed or breeds) comprise his pedigree??; he is simply spectacular! (They say "Spanish-bred", but he is obviously neither a mustang nor a baroque breed, so there must be some purpose-bred TBs and/or WBs in their breeding program.)

Be still, my heart...He is simply exquisite, and what an athlete! Yummy.

(Some good riding --not to dismiss the "pilot's" influence--he too was phenomenal. It was a pure PLEASURE to watch them jump around that course.)
    I feel like Nero and Armada both came from Spain as well. I could be wrong on that. Must verify!
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Johnson View Post
    I feel like Nero and Armada both came from Spain as well. I could be wrong on that. Must verify!
    Nereo and Armada are full brothers and were bred in Spain. Their breeder, Ramon Beca, also bred Quimbo and Qwanza, I believe.

http://manage2.badminton-horse.co.uk...og128_2011.pdf

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by JFCeventer View Post
    Honestly, I thought eventers were above that vanity stuff.
    I suspect there is very little vanity that goes into the decision. A whole lot of smarts about the human eye, balanced views and subjective decisions in jogs/dressage movements, maybe... But vanity? Not so much.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.