The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Just for the record, since it hasn't been mentioned, at an FEI event riders are required to fill out medical information and turn it in to event medical personal before they compete. And since they are pretty well known people saying they had "a concussion" when in fact they were knocked unconscious, air lifted and spent a couple days in a coma doesn't fly. (Honest it has happened!) ML had to get cleared by event medical personal before she could ride. Riding injured isn't just at rider discretion. It pains me that my clarification puts her in better light.

Personally, I think she fell off because of the injury. It wasn't just a stickablity question once he stumbled over the fence. As JER mentioned she looked like she was struggling with the terrain which probably contributed to the bad jumping effort in the first place.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDogs View Post
    Do you have any actual examples where a rider pushed past their own injuries and injured the horse, specifically from compromised riding?

... Because I don't think "we have all seen what can happen", as it relates to the topic of this thread, at all.
    I wasn't talking about injuries to horses with that quote, I was talking about rider injury and the fact that I had hoped riders would be making smarter choices for their own bodies (which has the tangential effect of making safer choices for their horses too)-I was talking about rider injuries that never seem to heal, and old arthritic horsemen and jockies who are dependent on strong pain regimes to manage the activities of their daily lives. We honor them during their careers for fighting on against doctor's advice-for getting back in the saddle weeks before they should, but what happens when they can't do it anymore.

Every once in a while, someone does listen to the doctors, but most of the time, people hop back in the saddle well before their doctors want them to.

Sports are populated with incredibly competitive people whose bodies have always been an asset to them. I don't think they always make the right decisions for themselves and I don't think they are always capable of accepting when their current physical limitations may have an impact on their horse's performance.

From the outside it's hard to know but it seems like the default position is to ride unless someone else stops you. That has to factor into the choices people make.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDogs View Post
    I appreciate your opinion of MLM's horsemanship but why do you only focus on her? Why have you not questioned Boyd's ankle injury?

Personally, I think it is up to the rider to determine their ability to ride on an injury and there is no evidence to show that the horses were at any greater risk because of rider injuries, but if you are going to argue the other side, you have to look at everyone - not just the riders you don't like.
    I didn't know about BMs ankle injury....that is why. It has nothing to do with playing favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    It's an interesting paradox. Someone pushes through and does well despite an injury and the crowds are enamored with their perseverance. But push through and fail and it's "tsk tsk"

We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    That's true about everything in life. If you do something that's pushing the envelope a little, you better hope it works out because if it doesn't, people are going to question you. Whether it's taking a horse up the levels with the minimum number of qualifications, running a very young horse at advanced, tackling Rolex after an unsuccessful prep schedule, riding Rolex immediately after a serious injury, etc., you need to be prepared for questions if it doesn't work out.

This is yet another area in which the FEI qualification rigamarole might inadvertently lead to risky decisions to ride while not 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    This is yet another area in which the FEI qualification rigamarole might inadvertently lead to risky decisions to ride while not 100%.
    Yep
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    As one of the people on this forum who has been critical of MLM, I just can't let this one stand. I don't care if shes blond, so are sinead, Allison, jessie phoenix, emily beshear,and Lynn symansky and I think they're all pretty impressive. I don't care if she has money, so did Nina Ligon and I thought her family's quest for the Olympics was one of the more fun things I've followed along with in the sport for a long time. For me, it's the repeated instances of poor horsemanship combined with a lack of a track record giving me any reason to give her the benefit of the doubt. I also don't care if KOC thinks she's the bees knees. The O'connors were pretty enamored of the parellis for a while there as well.

As for the topic at hand, I obviously don't know the situation with her shoulder well enough to judge this one one way or the other, but I would like to put out the general proposition that it's not always a good idea to idolize athletes who push their bodies through extreme levels of pain. There can be severe long term ramifications to that. Im not sure its something we should encourage for the sake of the riders or their horses.
    This wasn't the Olympics and there are a few more four stars left on the calendar for the year. Why not a luhmuhlen reroute. Shes heading to Europe with the rest of her string anyway.
    Jeez, Well I guess we know how you feel. Save your venom for someone who deserves it. She has come to Eventing from the Show Jumping world and done nothing wrong. Wow. I don't get people!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    breaking a finger and having a grade 3 separated shoulder are two different things.

ML pushes herself like she pushes her horses. She knowingly agree to be an Olympic alternative knowing her horse was severely injured. She has been seen doing very shady things in the FEI stables, and has been observed making very poor horsemanship choices.

Of course we wish we had her money and horse power, but wanting those things doesn't give you a reason to dislike someone. I dislike her attitude and the way she is in our eventing community. I also wish I could ride like Mark Todd, had his money and horses but I admire him dearly.
    Wow those are interesting accusations, Got something to back it up with?
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Jeez, Well I guess we know how you feel. Save your venom for someone who deserves it. She has come to Eventing from the Show Jumping world and done nothing wrong. Wow. I don't get people!
    That she has done nothing wrong is debatable. Many of us feel that some of her horsemanship decisions are extremely questionable.

4 members found this post helpful.

I rode last week at intermediate with a shoulder injury (dislocated in a fall from the baby horse). My balance was off and in hindsight, I wouldn't do it again. It worked though, we placed in the top ten but on a less honest horse or over a tougher course, I wouldn't have tried.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Comedy View Post
    That she has done nothing wrong is debatable. Many of us feel that some of her horsemanship decisions are extremely questionable.
    I am uninformed, Care to share that information? It almost seems like some folks do not like the fact that she was a Show Jumper and suddenly fit into the Eventer role quite well. I am trying to understand why folks are not thrilled with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Wow those are interesting accusations, Got something to back it up with?
    Search the forums....these discussions have been hashed out a bunch of times...some with eye witness reports.

It has nothing to do with the fact that she came from showjumping and is now eventing, so did Blyth Tait and Mark Todd also rode in the Olympics for Showjumping. It has nothing to do with the fact she has a lot of money supporting her and buys the best of the best from Europe. Most eventers are happy for riders with that type of opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Search the forums....these discussions have been hashed out a bunch of times...some with eye witness reports.

It has nothing to do with the fact that she came from showjumping and is now eventing, so did Blyth Tait and Mark Todd also rode in the Olympics for Showjumping. It has nothing to do with the fact she has a lot of money supporting her and buys the best of the best from Europe. Most eventers are happy for riders with that type of opportunity.
    Well I have not been on the eventing forum much in the last year, so I have not heard of anything.
    I figured if it was legit, and not just BB gossip someone would have said so.