The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shades of International Velvet but with a different outcome.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trak_Eventer View Post
    My opinion is that riders should think about if they are still able to give the horse the ride they need with whatever injury they have. If not... then they should make the judgment to not compete.

She was galloping with only one hand on several occasions which was what seemed worrisome to me.
    For the record, her mare was braided for cross country yesterday. I was like "you go girl" when I saw her sail over the ditch/brush with a braided mane and knowing she had a buggered up shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    If you listened to the commentators during her ride they commented on her being able to let the horse go w the loopy rein, and I believe saying something along the lines that if the horse had been a puller/stronger (they mentioned an earlier horse) it would be a much more difficult ride. I think it's always easy to sit back and armchair quarterback especially after it's done. Several people were popped out of the tack- some similar type falls - they weren't able to right themselves back into the tack either and didn't have any injury. Now I'm going to go rewatch her ride.
    Mary King had some Irish luck on the jump out of the sunken road. Did you see her? Her gelding did a thrust/bobble and she found herself in the inelegant position of being sideways on his neck. Within two strides she had righted herself and galloped on. Epic save!

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    For the record, her mare was braided for cross country yesterday. I was like "you go girl" when I saw her sail over the ditch/brush with a braided mane and knowing she had a buggered up shoulder.
    ???? Just trying to interpret this one. Surely you don't think she braids her own horse's mane. I guess I could be wrong, but I would guess that she has staff do that, LOL.

2 members found this post helpful.

Just my 2 cents.. I really like her, I loved her Dressage Test, And Her Cross Country was great until the unfortunate spill.
    I cannot see that she harmed the mare at all. I never saw her grimace either.
    Hope she did not land on the shoulder.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    ???? Just trying to interpret this one. Surely you don't think she braids her own horse's mane. I guess I could be wrong, but I would guess that she has staff do that, LOL.
    My point was that she didnt have mane to grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Just my 2 cents.. I really like her, I loved her Dressage Test, And Her Cross Country was great until the unfortunate spill.
    I cannot see that she harmed the mare at all. I never saw her grimace either.
    Hope she did not land on the shoulder.
    I like her too! But man oh man a lot of people do not. And that is fine different strokes for different folks. I feel like she has always handled herself with class when mud has been consistently thrown at her.

She's rich, beautiful, young, well mounted via her own family finances and connections, and freaking good. Of course people won't like her! If she wasn't competitive she would fly under the radar.

Personally, I would have liked to see her mare with a little more flesh but she looked amazing when I saw her gallop by early on cross country.

She's a tough lady and beautiful rider. Sometimes it is just not your day.
    Corgigirl14

5 members found this post helpful.

I saw her galloping w/ one hand too, and sometimes it was her left hand free and it was her right shoulder she injured correct? I also saw her adjusting plenty using both reins and often using her body to bring horse back, which I think comes from her jumper background more than her injury.

Quote Originally Posted by corgigirl14 View Post
    I like her too! But man oh man a lot of people do not. And that is fine different strokes for different folks. I feel like she has always handled herself with class when mud has been consistently thrown at her.

She's rich, beautiful, young, well mounted via her own family finances and connections, and freaking good. Of course people won't like her! If she wasn't competitive she would fly under the radar.

Personally, I would have liked to see her mare with a little more flesh but she looked amazing when I saw her gallop by early on cross country.

I agree she is a class act. And isn't it her that is friend with KOC?
    I thought it was last year where her and Karen were interviewed and KAren helps her with Dressage she helps Karen with Show Jumping?
    Whatever, She is a cool lady and I hope to see her go places in the sport!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I am a big ML fan. Eventing needs to embrace its converts! I admired her grit to compete with a separated shoulder, and I am sure there have been many riders in past years competing with injuries as painful if not more than hers.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    I find this amusing, simply because Percocet at any dose is about as effective as a Tic Tac for me, but Vicodin is a warm and VERY effective friend. Given the variability of human reactions to medications, seems like it would be nearly impossible to make such a list. But I guess you have to pick something.
    I'm guessing that they are choosing what narcotics are allowed, by "schedule". It seems that most narcotics listed as schedule II in the U.S. are on the prohibited list, . I don't know how the UK or European nations classify their narcotics so, I may be mistaken,however all the prohibiteds ARE schedule I or II drugs in the U.S.

Your reaction to different medications is an example of what I mentioned in the post you quoted. Some people would be able to ride while taking certain medications and others would not.

I have always found the WADA lists fascinating, mostly for what they do NOT include as prohibited!

Quote Originally Posted by kch7238 View Post
    I am a big ML fan. Eventing needs to embrace its converts! I admired her grit to compete with a separated shoulder, and I am sure there have been many riders in past years competing with injuries as painful if not more than hers.
    This! I don't event but have enjoyed attending Rolex twice now. Yesterday I grinned watching the ropes fill up with pre-teens and teens anytime a Big Name competitor was heading down the lane towards the jump. They would squeal then get their cameras ready. It was fun to watch their excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by corgigirl14 View Post

As one of the people on this forum who has been critical of MLM, I just can't let this one stand. I don't care if shes blond, so are sinead, Allison, jessie phoenix, emily beshear,and Lynn symansky and I think they're all pretty impressive. I don't care if she has money, so did Nina Ligon and I thought her family's quest for the Olympics was one of the more fun things I've followed along with in the sport for a long time. For me, it's the repeated instances of poor horsemanship combined with a lack of a track record giving me any reason to give her the benefit of the doubt. I also don't care if KOC thinks she's the bees knees. The O'connors were pretty enamored of the parellis for a while there as well.

As for the topic at hand, I obviously don't know the situation with her shoulder well enough to judge this one one way or the other, but I would like to put out the general proposition that it's not always a good idea to idolize athletes who push their bodies through extreme levels of pain. There can be severe long term ramifications to that. Im not sure its something we should encourage for the sake of the riders or their horses.
    This wasn't the Olympics and there are a few more four stars left on the calendar for the year. Why not a luhmuhlen reroute. Shes heading to Europe with the rest of her string anyway.

6 members found this post helpful.

It seems that WFP broke a finger in SJ and it sure didn't seem to slow him down any. Should he have just pulled up when that happened? Should he just scratch out of Badminton because he broke his finger a week out? Same strokes, different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    It seems that WFP broke a finger in SJ and it sure didn't seem to slow him down any. Should he have just pulled up when that happened? Should he just scratch out of Badminton because he broke his finger a week out? Same strokes, different folks.
    breaking a finger and having a grade 3 separated shoulder are two different things.

ML pushes herself like she pushes her horses. She knowingly agree to be an Olympic alternative knowing her horse was severely injured. She has been seen doing very shady things in the FEI stables, and has been observed making very poor horsemanship choices.

Of course we wish we had her money and horse power, but wanting those things doesn't give you a reason to dislike someone. I dislike her attitude and the way she is in our eventing community. I also wish I could ride like Mark Todd, had his money and horses but I admire him dearly.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    breaking a finger and having a grade 3 separated shoulder are two different things.

ML pushes herself like she pushes her horses. She knowingly agree to be an Olympic alternative knowing her horse was severely injured. She has been seen doing very shady things in the FEI stables, and has been observed making very poor horsemanship choices.

Of course we wish we had her money and horse power, but wanting those things doesn't give you a reason to dislike someone. I dislike her attitude and the way she is in our eventing community. I also wish I could ride like Mark Todd, had his money and horses but I admire him dearly.
    I appreciate your opinion of MLM's horsemanship but why do you only focus on her? Why have you not questioned Boyd's ankle injury?

Personally, I think it is up to the rider to determine their ability to ride on an injury and there is no evidence to show that the horses were at any greater risk because of rider injuries, but if you are going to argue the other side, you have to look at everyone - not just the riders you don't like.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDogs View Post
    I appreciate your opinion of MLM's horsemanship but why do you only focus on her? Why have you not questioned Boyd's ankle injury?

Personally, I think it is up to the rider to determine their ability to ride on an injury and there is no evidence to show that the horses were at any greater risk because of rider injuries, but if you are going to argue the other side, you have to look at everyone - not just the riders you don't like.
    I think it's likely that BM wasn't being the brightest bulb in the shed by riding on his ankle either. By being unsuccessful, he and MLM do open themselves to more scrutiny than someone like Lynn Symansky who looked great in all three phases at Rolex and in winning the Fork in her test run with the claw before Rolex.

I had hoped with Buck not riding last year after his injury that maybe the trend was moving away from riding at all costs given that they've all seen what can happen if you always push past the pain to ride on but evidently not.

It's an interesting paradox. Someone pushes through and does well despite an injury and the crowds are enamored with their perseverance. But push through and fail and it's "tsk tsk"
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post

I had hoped with Buck not riding last year after his injury that maybe the trend was moving away from riding at all costs given that they've all seen what can happen if you always push past the pain to ride on but evidently not.
    Do you have any actual examples where a rider pushed past their own injuries and injured the horse, specifically from compromised riding?

... Because I don't think "we have all seen what can happen", as it relates to the topic of this thread, at all.
    Last edited by SevenDogs; Apr. 30, 2013 at 01:49 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I'm guessing that they are choosing what narcotics are allowed, by "schedule". It seems that most narcotics listed as schedule II in the U.S. are on the prohibited list, . I don't know how the UK or European nations classify their narcotics so, I may be mistaken,however all the prohibiteds ARE schedule I or II drugs in the U.S.
    This would make sense to me -- the schedules would at least provide a "legal" structure to build a list from. Although, I had the same thought as you - if it doesn't include ALL of SI/II, I'd love to have heard the discussion as to how they picked. And some of the SIII stuff I'd pick before SII -- i.e. I'd take away your anabolic steroids before I'd take away your Adderall, LOL. Anyway, you are very correct (of course, dr. skydy, LOL) that there is such a massive variation in human tolerance and reactions, I am very glad I don't have to be in charge of that list!