The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: WNV vaccination by itself or is a combo o.k.?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I vaccinate for WNV separately

16 42.11%
  • I use a WNV combination vaccine

22 57.89%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No, you don't booster anything like that if they've already been vaccinated through the original booster period.

So yes, if this is the horse's first (known) time for any vaccine, you do the appropriate booster for just that vaccine.

Horses down here in coastal GA have died from WNV. I know some of their owners personally. So I vaccinate for it and have been doing so since the vaccine became available. My service, Edisto Equine, uses, I think, a separate vaccine for WNV. I'll have to look at my last invoice, but I think it's a separate vaccine. Since I have my 2 horses vaccinated for everything 2x a year, except their rabies shots which are done only in the early spring.

While the WNV vaccine is supposedly not totally effective as is the rabies vaccine, it is supposed to lessen the effects of WNV if given.

I'd much rather pay for prevention than have my horses get diseases that can be prevented or lessened by vaccines. 2x a year, because of all the bugs and skeeters in coastal GA. I trust my vet to tell me whether or not a vaccine is good in combination or should be a separate shot. (My vet told me years ago that the EPM vaccine would not work, and it was withdrawn from the market a year later. John is never wrong.)

The WNV and PHF vaccinations are only "good" for 90 days.

While I give the WNV in combo in the Spring (from about mid-March to early April) with the EEE/WEE, Tetnatus (to have only one injection site)...we booster for both of those (WNV and PHF) within the next 90 days to carry them through the high vector season for those warm weather diseases.

Of course, those are single injections -- not in combo.

Hope that helps.

WNV is "good" for at least 6 months, and debatably 12. In areas where mosquitoes are a real problem for well more than 6 months, many vets recommend a late Summer booster

I cannot even IMAGINE not giving WNV. Good lord, just LOOK at all of it! When it first hit Colorado, no one expected it for another year and most horses were unvaccinated. A lot died and my vet still talks about that year. If I were dead set on cutting back (for whatever reason) I'd skip Eastern or Western (very little of that in Colorado) but I would never even dream of skipping WNV.

I would like to give it separately, but I have a horse that has some issues with the Intervet EWT vaccine, and I'm not brave enough to try the Fort Dodge EWT (given that it's known for causing reactions) so this year I'm trying the Vetera EWT/WNV vaccine. We'll see how she does.

1 members found this post helpful.

Simkie, that's interesting you have such trouble with WNV, but not EEE. Any info on why that is?

If I HAD to choose between WNV and EEE, I'd skip WNV. EEE is quite deadly, where WNV has somewhere in the "only" 30% mortality rate, compared to well over 90% for EEE. Of course, if things were so tight I was choosing between these 2, I shouldn't have horses, but just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Simkie, that's interesting you have such trouble with WNV, but not EEE. Any info on why that is?

If I HAD to choose between WNV and EEE, I'd skip WNV. EEE is quite deadly, where WNV has somewhere in the "only" 30% mortality rate, compared to well over 90% for EEE. Of course, if things were so tight I was choosing between these 2, I shouldn't have horses, but just sayin'
    I really have NO idea why we have WNV but not really any EEE or WEE. Perhaps it's the breed of mosquito?

I'd only not vaccinate for Eastern and Western if my horse had a serious, life threatening reaction to those, so it's not something I'm likely to explore (they're also required for boarding) but I've honestly never heard of a local case of either one and the map doesn't show anything, either.

But I've certainly heard a lot of local cases of WNV with several deaths. In fact, I was one of my vet's very first clients to vaccinate. It was not predicted to hit here for another year, but I was very concerned about the possibility of it moving more quickly than expected and wanted coverage. That was way early in the days of the vaccine and it was not without considerable controversy...

Equine cases of West Nile Virus in the US for 2011 was 87 horses. In 2012, that number rose to 618. I got this info from a program that was broadcast on RFD TV this past month. I was taking notes.
    The vets on the program thought the reason for the drastic increase was partially due to the fact that since the numbers were relatively low in 2011, people felt comfortable to skip the vaccine in 2012. With 618 cases last year, I will certainly be vaccinating for WNV. I did the combo shot. None of my horses had any reactions or soreness whatsoever out of 20 horses. I was concerned about the combo shot I admit but I'm glad I went that route.

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    We do the combo of EEE/WEE/T/WNV in the Spring. Then we booster WNV 3 mos. later as the coverage is for only 3 months.
    According to the AAEP:

"These available vaccines have been tested with a challenge model and have been proven to be effective as an aid in the prevention of viremia in experimentally infected vaccinated horses compared to nonvaccinated control horses for as long as 12 months after primary vaccination with two doses of vaccine. Following the label instructions, primary vaccination of previously non-vaccinated horses involves administration of 2 doses of vaccine 3 to 6 weeks apart. In endemic areas, boosters are required or warranted according to local conditions conducive to disease risk. Vaccinate semi-annually or more frequently (every 4 months), depending on risk. Annual revaccination is best completed in the spring, prior to the onset of peak insect vector season."

http://www.aaep.org/pdfs/AAEP_WNV_Guidelines_2005.pdf

The AAEP also recommends WNV as a core vaccine.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    The WNV and PHF vaccinations are only "good" for 90 days.
    That's just not true. I've posted the info on WNV, I believe the PHF is "good" for 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by About Time View Post
    Equine cases of West Nile Virus in the US for 2011 was 87 horses. In 2012, that number rose to 618. I got this info from a program that was broadcast on RFD TV this past month. I was taking notes.
    The vets on the program thought the reason for the drastic increase was partially due to the fact that since the numbers were relatively low in 2011, people felt comfortable to skip the vaccine in 2012. With 618 cases last year, I will certainly be vaccinating for WNV. I did the combo shot. None of my horses had any reactions or soreness whatsoever out of 20 horses. I was concerned about the combo shot I admit but I'm glad I went that route.
    For anyone that skipped a year, check with your vet, but I'm fairly sure you need to repeat the two dose, primary vaccine protocol.

Nope, don't need to do the 2-shot booster series if the horse skipped a year.

2 members found this post helpful.

JB: I've done combo shots now for a few years....last year I switched to the Prestige V + WNV, previously the combo shot was missing Rhino? Or something like that so I'd do the combo then Rhino separately, but I honestly dont' remember off the top of my head.

When I vaccinated my (now two year old) I did the combo, then the combo booster 30 days later.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    That's just not true. I've posted the info on WNV, I believe the PHF is "good" for 6 months.
    Re: PHF -- AAEP recommends every 3-4 mos. in high risk areas. We do 3 months, because we are in high risk area. You're right, AAEP states WNV as frequently as 4 mos., not 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    I do not give WNV. I quit 2 years after the hype.
    Hype? What hype?