The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: WNV vaccination by itself or is a combo o.k.?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I vaccinate for WNV separately

16 42.11%
  • I use a WNV combination vaccine

22 57.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WNV vaccination question

Just thought I would do a poll to quickly ask what people use for the WNV vaccination. Do you use the stand alone or it as a combo? I have done the Fluvac 5 way vaccination in the past and then a week or so later the WNV separately. The vet I am using this year has a WNV + EWT combo that she recommends. What does everyone feel here, that it is o.k. to use as a combo or should I continue to give it alone? Thanks!
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

I do not give WNV. I quit 2 years after the hype.

Maybe you should make a vote spot for that opinion.

I have not seen where it is in a combo shot.

Hype? What's the hype? It's a real disease that kills horses every year in many different states. Just because it doesn't have as high a mortality rate as, say, EEE, doesn't mean it's nothing.

The poll is about "how do you give the vaccine, single or combo", not "do you give the vaccine"

ps - I lied on the poll, sorry - was in a hurry My WNV is a separate vaccine.

8 members found this post helpful.

WNV is VERY real.
    I do a combo
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

I do the Vetera EWT+WNW and the Calvenza EIV/EHV. Typically our vet comes through and does both vaccines on the same day. I would prefer separating the two vaccines, but that would incur considerably more expense and, so far, I haven't seen any significant side effects from two vaccines on one day. However, I typically don't ride day of, or day after the vaccines just to be safe and not tax my horse's system.

I hope someone told the 10 people that died in Dallas last summer that the disease they were dying of was just hype.

5 members found this post helpful.

We do the combo of EEE/WEE/T/WNV in the Spring. Then we booster WNV 3 mos. later as the coverage is for only 3 months.

I'm in NYS, and we had a human fatality within the past few years, too. Very sad.

We use WNV in a combo vaccine.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

I use a 5-way plus WN.
    http://www.unitedvetequine.com/horse...e-vaccines.asp

I then have Rabies done when my vet comes out to do Coggins.

It's so hard to decide whether to stuff it all in one vs. multiple shots, but I have a few who are very sensitive and they do best with the "all in one" method.

In my general area, every year, there are cases of WNV. It's not "hype," what an absolutely ridiculous statement to make...

I don't like big combo vaccines. I give the smallest number possible, spaced out several weeks.

The replies make me ask the OP - by "combo vaccine", do you mean, WNV that is part of a another vaccine(s) in a single shot? because if that's what you mean, I don't think that option exists.

But if you mean "combo" as in, do you give it at the same time as other vaccines, then that's probably the most common way to give it.

WNV (as a separate shot) + EWT is my standard, then rabies 1x/year as well.

I do it separately, and last year was so warm, I gave a booster in the fall.

Hype...are you kidding me?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    The replies make me ask the OP - by "combo vaccine", do you mean, WNV that is part of a another vaccine(s) in a single shot? because if that's what you mean, I don't think that option exists.
    Yes, there is a combo of EEE/WEE/Tetanus and WNV in one shot. We started using it last year, I think. Prior to that we gave a single, separate injection for WNV.

Ah, gotcha - is that relatively new?

I still prefer to have everything as broken out as possible, so you can use different locations for each stick and at least have some better idea what the horse reacted to if there is a reaction.

My opinion is the less needle sticks the better!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

you reduce your risk of side effects if you give fewer shots, overall. Combos are the safest way to vaccinate.

you reduce your risk of side effects if you give fewer shots, overall. Combos are the safest way to vaccinate and no less effective than given separately.

combos are the safest way to vaccinate- giving fewer shots overall reduces your risk of side effects or bad reactions. And they are just as effective given as a combo vs. separately.

My gelding has had two severe reactions to vaccinations in the 8 years I have owned him. The last was in 2009, in the spring. It was clear that the protocol we had followed the four years previous wasn't as successful as we had thought.

So up until this spring, the WVV vaccination was the ONLY one he got. The first year we gave it (2006) he needed a booster a couple of weeks after the initial vaccination. Since then he gets one in the spring and one in the fall.

Since I moved barns last fall, I no longer felt comfortable with such a minimal approach. There are horses coming and going for training and lessons daily where we are at now. So he needed full protection. Plus, I might want to attend some schooling shows this year.

Anyway, we did the 5-way (with bute started the day before and bute continued daily for another three days), and then two weeks later he had the WNV and strangles.

No problems, so I hope we are good.
    Sheilah

Thanks everyone for the input. Of you that use the combos and are vaccinating for the first time (I just got a new horse that is now a yearling) do you do a combo and then booster 3/4 weeks late with another combor? Or when you do the booster is it just a single shot of WNV? Thanks!
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!