The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help needed, show tomorrow! ? re buckstitch bridle.

Hi all, I am venturing over from englishland to try western eq and western pleasure. I have buckstitch western bridle. It is just a schooling show. Is buckstitching totally and completely out.... or is it making a subtle come back? Doesn't matter since it's all I have but just wondered. Also any hints on getting the buckstitching nice? I heard of using white shoe polish on the buckstitching- anyone ever try that? Or of course for a more subtle look I could let it remain light tan. Thanks a million everyone!!!

It's out at breed shows, but for a schooling show I wouldn't worry about it. Don't try to emphasize the stitching with white polish would be my suggestion. Subtle works better, especially if you're still trying to get the lay of the land, so to speak.

You'll probably see a little bit of everything. Just try to have fun. For years my only goals were 1)don't fall off and 2)don't make a fool of myself.

Is your western eq class a horsemanship pattern? I love those! ENJOY!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    Don't try to emphasize the stitching with white polish would be my suggestion. Just try to have fun. For years my only goals were 1)don't fall off and 2)don't make a fool of myself. Is your western eq class a horsemanship pattern? I love those! ENJOY!
    Thanks so much for your response. That will be much less work to keep the buckstitching how it is. Horse is trained english and well behaved (but she is a versatile gal as we trail ride, show in trail, and occasionally team sort). I'm going to just ride her two handed in a snaffle as that is what she is used to. She doesn't do a jog or a "lope" but we will try for a collected trot and slower canter. It's just for fun so that is my goal. A horsemanship pattern would be fun but I think it is going to be a regular "rail" class.

Also does saddle need to have a breast collar? Does saddle need to have a rear cinch? Thanks a million for any advice.

No, you don't need to have a breast plate and hill girth for the show ring....unless you need the breast plate to keep the saddle in the right place.

Clean tack and clean horse will be fine.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

No judge worth his or her salt is going to place you up or down based on whether your tack or clothing is 'in style.' It does need to be clean and appropriate to the horse. I haven't shown much in the 21st century, but won western classes in the 90s still wearing my '60s buckstitched chaps and proudly using the buckstitched one eared headstall my uncle made for me.

In particular if your horse is properly groomed to a fare-thee-well the 'glow' will outshine your fashion statement or lack thereof.

1 members found this post helpful.

Repeating what everyone else said.

Breastcollars are out of style right now so don't add it for looks. I don't know how people know whats coming or going with styles!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."