The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I feed it both ways - the OTTB's get it dry, with enough veg oil to make it less dusty. My old (30ish) gelding gets it soaked, mostly because his molars are really worn and don't do a good job of grinding. It is easier for him to eat it soaked; same with his alfalfa cubes.

As for the soaking, I've always been told that the "horses' stomach will explode if fed dry beet pulp" thing was an old wives tale - they have stomach acid in their stomachs that break it down. I've had success feeding it with veg oil to the Colic King, but then again, I feed oats, too.

As far as hay goes, I'm waiting for first cutting to come in up in Farmington. The price should come down and the quality go up.

Well...I've never had good luck with BP putting weight on horses. It is a source of fiber and a filler but not a significant nutritional source.

With a skinny OTTB...you want to make sure what they are eating has nutritional value and calories. Enough protien to build muscle, enough carb for energy and high fat. I fed BP primarily to fatties which made them feel like they were getting more food than they were. I've tried it with others...but ultimately, I've never found that it made a huge impact. Now feeding soaked alfafa cubes has put weight on...especially if the quality of hay wasn't great and I couldn't get straight alfalfa (although for some horses alfalfa can also make them nutty...but most of my TBs have been fine on it).

So Balancers are great as you can make sure you meet their nutritional needs....then add fat to up the calories. What fat supplements depends on what you have available. Rice bran (pellets) works well for me as well as Progressive's Envision. I've also fed Ultimate Finish. I've not had much luck with oil as my horses typically wouldn't eat enough to make a difference.

As much high quality hay as they will eat. Good luck. It does take time to get weight on.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I agree, BFNE, I started with beet pulp on mine, but it didn't really do a whole lot in terms of weight gain, really just gave him moisture. I quickly switched to the rice bran and cool calories and he took off (not literally, LOL).

Well, Beet pulp is out, I can't get there to feed everyday and they won't soak food. So I found two people using Triple Crown Lite. It's readily available and from what she had said the hay tested out as I think this may work. I will start slowly and see what happens. When she's "normal" and not fired up from the wrong supplement she is a very relaxed and content horse. Happy to nap in her shady stall.

I feed Empower boost. Puts weight on my OTTB really well and you can't over feed it. Doesn't make him hot at all.
    He was getting hot when I had him on Ultium... took him off the Ultium but kept the Empower and he has been nice and quiet since
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

I tried my OTTB on TC Senior and he went nuts! Now he is on Ultium and doing well. Every OTTB is unique- you have to play a bit and find what works.

That said, TC Senior is definitely worth a try. I was surprised by the change in my guy with it, because it seems like "most" people with OTTBs have great success feeding it. (He also goes nuts with alfalfa hay...)

Good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

^Weird how the TC made him nuts but the Ultium doesn't... You would think the total opposite
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by Amym600 View Post
    Well, Beet pulp is out, I can't get there to feed everyday and they won't soak food. So I found two people using Triple Crown Lite. It's readily available and from what she had said the hay tested out as I think this may work. I will start slowly and see what happens. When she's "normal" and not fired up from the wrong supplement she is a very relaxed and content horse. Happy to nap in her shady stall.
    The lite may not have enough fat in it for her and you may have to add a fat supplement. If they have access to the TC Lite, I would think you would be able to get the TC Senior or the Complete... just sayin

What's IN the feed is just as important (of not more) than the nutritional analysis... Make sure you're looking at the ingredients.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I wrote an article that you might find useful about what we fed the 100 Day Challenge horses on the RRTP website. I have had a TON of success with using beet pulp to put weight on horses. The key is that you have to think of it as a substitute for hay. It is higher in calories than grass hay and is loaded with pectins - a very digestible source of fiber. If it's substituting for hay, you have to feed a lot - we fed 6 pounds per day to a couple of the Challenge horses. If you can't do that, you might check into the TC Complete or the Senior as others have suggested. I agree with BHK above - the lite won't have the calories she may need - it's designed for easy keepers.
    http://bit.ly/11HaqnE
    Last edited by Erin Pittman; Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

I think many people think they are feeding enough hay but truly are not feeding enough to sustain a hard keeping TB. My horses have 24x7 access to lovely alfalfa (no, it doesn't make them hot) and some of them eat close to a bale a day. I reduce waste by feeding in nibblenets in the stalls and slow feeders that we built outside. That allows me to monitor how much they consume.

The trick to keeping them quiet is to pick a feed low in NSC. I personally LOVE TC senior but we switch in the winter to Legends Performance Pelleted b/c the senior freezes like a brick. These feeds are high in fat and protein yet low in sugar which is criticial.

I don't like oil because half of my guys are super picky eaters. I also don't feed beet pulp because most of them won't eat it even when I try little amounts. For fat I have had the best luck with cool calories. I can get some to eat empower or omega fat supplement (made by Legends).

I personally would rather feed alfalfa cubes over beet pulp if I was trying to add weight to a horse (if I didn't have acccess to nice alfalfa hay).

Some horses require quite a bit of feed in terms of lbs fed. I have some who eat close to 12lbs. Oher's that are ottb's but only eat 1lb of ration balancer (I feed the TC 30%). I have found that most of my horses who come here after being let down require quite a bit of food as I put them in work but once I get weight on them and build muscle than I can reduce. However, you just have to play with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    I think many people think they are feeding enough hay but truly are not feeding enough to sustain a hard keeping TB. .
    Yup...most of mine easily eat at least 1/2 a bale a day and some more of a high quality hay--basically free choice in front of them at all times. Now that they are out on really good pasture, they are consuming less hay but always have free choice in front of them.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    I personally would rather feed alfalfa cubes over beet pulp if I was trying to add weight to a horse (if I didn't have acccess to nice alfalfa hay).

Some horses require quite a bit of feed in terms of lbs fed.
    Jess, as always, has excellent points. To maintain weight while in a regular riding/training schedule (and by regular, I mean, when it fits around insane work schedule), mine (who has the metabolism of chinchilla) needs a good 10lbs of TC Complete per day (doesn't really have much grass at current location, but free access round bales) AND I use alfalfa pellets, moistened with water.

Yes, that is in addition to the Cool Calories, LOL. This horse eats my mortgage! At least I have gotten him off the rice bran. For now, sigh.