The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default David Hopper and Longgreen Farm Help

Hello, All,

I'm hoping that the COTH collective experience and wisdom can help me out. A friend is selling her high-end hunter and is looking at sale barns in the Connecticut/NY area. Does anyone have any information about David Hopper and Longgreen Farm in Armenia, NY? Is he still in the business with active clientele? I don't want to start a flame war so please PM me if you have anything negative to say.

Many, many thanks.
    Last edited by sammicat; Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: insert COTH
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

~ Loving mom of the world's biggest puppy, my draft-X Sirius Black

I have known David for more years than I would like to admit. Always professional, great staff and a really nice facility. I don't think you will very many bad things about him. He has been in the business since he was a teenager and that was awhile ago.
    Give him a call.

I worked for David a long time ago so cannot tell you what his operation is like today, so from an historical perspective, I can tell you that he's got connections everywhere; I rode jumpers, event horses and hunters for him, and trainers from every discipline came through the barn on a weekly basis. The horses were well cared-for and he did not tolerate sloppiness or inattentiveness in the barn; we had to have the game face on at all times while riding and caring for the horses. He's a long-time horseman and although I thought he took a few shortcuts in training the young horses that I did not always agree with, they were his horses so I went along. In the end, he was usually right and got results that I would not have anticipated. I would not hesitate to send my horse to him for sale.

I used to ride in one barn that bought a LOT of horses from David and later and worked for one of his business partners. David has an incredible eye for an athletic horse and moves a ton of them. I have been out of the area for 20 years, but back then he dealt more in young horses and less in made ones--I don't know if his business plan has changed with regard to that or not.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I would definitely suggest that your friend give him a call. He is meticulous with horse care, has the connections, and will do his best to match the horse with the "right"client. (and of course, get a good price for them)

Thank you, Everyone. I have passed on the information to my friend.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

~ Loving mom of the world's biggest puppy, my draft-X Sirius Black

I would not hesitate to send him a sale horse. I have done so in the past and he was always great to deal with...

I love when this type of thread works out like this.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.