The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

After today, I'm REALLY happy I bought that XC book written by AN at Ollie's for $5! Going to be poring over that daily and committing it to memory.

Does he take Working students ?

Still bumming for Becky, That horse was going great guns, Just maybe got a bit tired and tipped forward, So sad. I really like him He is all business cross country!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

There were a lot of brilliant performances and lovely horses. Am I the only one that thinks that Trading Aces is a heartstopper?
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Good thing Andrew Nicholson wasn't shopping by TB percentages... surprisingly Quimbo is only 28% blood.

I say surprisingly because many "straight" warmbloods (HAN/HOLST etc) tend to hover more in the 40% range (I have never done a study on this, just my sense after typing many names into horsetelex.net)

He handled the XC portion very nicely, making it look easy to forget how skilled a pilot and horseman Andrew Nicholson is.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

here's a more complete pedigree. http://sporthorse-data.com/d?z=hZG_t...imbo&x=16&y=13

It is not the same as AN thought in the EN interview. It doesn't change the TB percentage, but shows more of the Spanish horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse&Bay View Post
    Good thing Andrew Nicholson wasn't shopping by TB percentages... surprisingly Quimbo is only 28% blood.

I say surprisingly because many "straight" warmbloods (HAN/HOLST etc) tend to hover more in the 40% range (I have never done a study on this, just my sense after typing many names into horsetelex.net)

He handled the XC portion very nicely, making it look easy to forget how skilled a pilot and horseman Andrew Nicholson is.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

I didn't like the gallop Trading Aces showed today.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I didn't like the gallop Trading Aces showed today.
    Really? Why? - Actually curious- not snarky.

I thought it was a nice gallop. Very big strided horse. Not too much knee action. I thought he could really open up without flattening.

Looking at the results, it seems as if the afternoon course was very different from the morning course.

WHAT HAPPENED?

There was a sprinkling of rain, but not enough to make the course muddy. And this caliber of rider knows what studs to put in, depending on the current footing.

And reason that 3/4th's of the E's and W's happened after lunch?
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Looking at the results, it seems as if the afternoon course was very different from the morning course.

WHAT HAPPENED?

There was a sprinkling of rain, but not enough to make the course muddy. And this caliber of rider knows what studs to put in, depending on the current footing.

And reason that 3/4th's of the E's and W's happened after lunch?
    I noticed more tired looking horses in the afternoon. Maybe the time they're normally worked each day came into play? Maybe it was just that they were warmed up too long or heard what was going on and got overworked well before they hit the course?

Then again, I felt like I heard that more of the horses in the middle of the day were with inexperienced riders or were horses that were just getting their first go on a course that size.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    I noticed more tired looking horses in the afternoon. Maybe the time they're normally worked each day came into play? Maybe it was just that they were warmed up too long or heard what was going on and got overworked well before they hit the course?

Then again, I felt like I heard that more of the horses in the middle of the day were with inexperienced riders or were horses that were just getting their first go on a course that size.
    The strange thing for me is that even the two problems in the morning, Becky's fall and Caitlin's 20, came with rounds that otherwise made the course look easy. In fact, other than the stop which came out of the blue, I would have said caitlin's round was in the top 3-5 I saw all day, it was that smooth and positive.

With the afternoon, even some of the pairs that got around without jump penalties looked rougher than the morning.

Maybe it got hotter , maybe the light changed for some of the jumps. Maybe the ground got a little heavier? Maybe people got overconfident because the course looked easy after the morning and maybe more people decided to go for time.

It didn't get hotter, and it didn't appreciably rain. A couple of riders at the Q&A seems to hint that the afternoon folks might have thought the course rode easier than it walked based on the morning trips, and so weren't paying enough attention.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think the riders may have just gotten a bit complacent. There were some beautifully smooth rides and some very uncomfortable rides today. Happy to see the newbies doing so well and the Canadians just flying!

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Really? Why? - Actually curious- not snarky.

I thought it was a nice gallop. Very big strided horse. Not too much knee action. I thought he could really open up without flattening.
    It just looked inefficient and very tiring for the horse to me. Maybe too much up and down for the ground covered. He pounded the ground instead of gliding over it.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Apr. 28, 2013 at 09:55 AM.

Just LOVED all the rounds! Some great horse rider combos.
    Today is going to be interesting. Really nice run for Buck on his last go.
    And Andrew! What can you say. A master. Love that Quimbo Horse! Stunning horse! Thrilled with the live feed!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Alright, I would love to go jump around on Kilrodan Abbot. Reminds me EERILY of a sales horse I had the pleasure of sitting on years ago. Was simply a fun, uncomplicated, happy horse to jump.

While she didn't have a particularly good SJ round, Kristen Smoltze (spelling?) looked fantastic in that light grey jacket that matched the fly bonnet.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

One of the announcers on XC last year said about Kilrodan Abbot "I would like to ride this horse, I want my children to ride this horse and my children's children to ride this horse."

I do love him!

3 members found this post helpful.

It's been raining here in Indiana all day and right now those clouds over stadium aren't looking too happy.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    It's been raining here in Indiana all day and right now those clouds over stadium aren't looking too happy.
    I was thinking that - it's looking ugly on the horizon there in KY.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation