The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

not working for me Says page not found error 404

Yay! watching off usef.org

Mine's working fine but I left it on through the lunch break.
    Last edited by BestHorses; Apr. 27, 2013 at 03:10 PM.

Aww yay, Beth Perkins on the commentary now!

Sorry for Mary though.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

When I see some of these horses looking so exhausted still quite a ways from the end of the course it makes me wonder if the riders wouldn't benefit from learning how to do the old fashioned three day courses with the roads and tracks and steeplechase. Maybe their horses would be more fit?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

9 members found this post helpful.

Man, can't say I didn't see that coming. Horse looked exhausted. Glad they look ok.

3 members found this post helpful.

Great, USEF has decided I am in GB and I still can't get coverage!

http://www.usefnetwork.com/

I was finally able to get it to work using the link above.

Another bummer for Boyd.

I have to say I'm consistently impressed with the horsemanship decisions shown by eventers. I've seen many people in multiple disciplines let their competitive nature get the best of them, and I'm sure it happens in eventing as well, but I'm always pleased to see people make the sometimes difficult choice to save the horse for another day.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

6 members found this post helpful.

Kendal is smoking through this course. Ed is really full of go today. Wowza. Did her vest blow up when he launched the first brush of that combination? Because it looks like it's been inflated the whole course.

Mary really tried to carry her horse around, but he ran out of steam pretty early. She's an amazing horsewoman.

2 members found this post helpful.

Demeter looks like a lovely horse to ride!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Wow- Chilli Morning retiring shakes things up a bit!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Disappointed for Marilyn. They looked all class until they came apart, and I'm sure she could've stayed on (or ridden a better line) if not for the shoulder injury. What a lovely, lovely mare Demeter is.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

4 members found this post helpful.

Boy, is Quimbo a gorgeous horse!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

3 members found this post helpful.

And yes commentators....he is spanish bred by ramon beca. We will be seeing much more of his breeding programme in the coming years.
    Last edited by snoopy; Apr. 27, 2013 at 03:40 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quimbo was AMAZING!

I was glad to see the retirees, though one came much later than I would've preferred. Still happened, though, which speaks volumes!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Boy, is Quimbo a gorgeous horse!
    He is absolutely STUNNING, and what a phenomenal jumper, just a dream! I am in love

Any idea what breed (or breeds )??, beyond "Spanish bred"?? Inquiring minds want to know; there need to be *more* horses like this in existence.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    And yes commentators....he is spanish bred by ramon beca. We will be seeing much more of his breeding programme in the coming years.
    Andrew Nicholson has ridden a number of Beca's horses Internationally. Beca is the breeder of Nereo and Armada and at least two others that AN has ridden. All of these have been out of Beca's Hanoverian line mare Golfi x the TB Fines.

From Eventing Nation:
    When Andrew was finished riding I asked him to explain the family tree; Quimbo and Qwanza were both bred by Ramon Beca’s sister, Ana, and may be related to Ramon’s Armada and Nereo (also brothers), “If you traced the mothers back they probably would be, because Nereo’s mother originally came from Ramon’s father – he was a big breeder and when he died he left the breeding stock to his daughter Ana. I would think Nereo’s mother would go back to Quimbo’s mothers but probably three or four generations ago. Quimbo’s father is German, Lacros, a Grand Prix jumper and the mother is by a horse called, she might be by Florian, he was a thoroughbred.” Andrew has had both Quimbo and Qwanza since they were three years old, and when I asked him how long it took him to assess how good a horse might be in the future, he answered without hesitation, “Five minutes. As three year olds – one minute! Put it this way, when Quimbo was three I bought him and Qwanza, they were the only two I bought. Ramon had asked me to go and look at some young horses Ana had bred for show-jumping that she couldn’t sell them so I looked at half a dozen, and brought this one (Quimbo) and Qwanza.” Qwanza was seventh here in the Rolex Kentucky CCI**** last year. Andrew shared that he has since gone back and bought more, “I’ve got a bunch of them now, and they’re all related and quite similar. It’s a good breed.”

Perhaps Andrew’s best horse currently, Nereo’s father is a racehorse who raced in Spain and his mother is “English/Irish/French/American….” Nereo’s full brother Armada will be first out on the course next weekend at the Badminton Horse Trials CCI**** with Oliver Townend, after Andrew recommended him as a jockey to owner Paul Ridgeon, “It’s all good publicity; it was my suggestion that Oliver take the ride on the horse, and if it goes well people might buy me horses!” The combination looked very impressive last year, notching up an 8th place at Luhmuhlen CCI**** in the Spring, and then coming back to be 4th at Burghley CCI**** in September, and I had to ask Andrew if he was now worried that he might have helped his competition out a little too effectively, which he completely denied, “The whole idea is it goes well for them; if he beats me he beats me. The owner is still going to have horses with me. I think a lot of people get upset if they lose a ride but although Armada had been very good, I’ve got horses like Nereo, Avebury, Mr Cruise Control all coming along so Armada had become surplus to requirements and I suggested they try Oli.”

-
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Yes I know this....most however do not. I think that in the near future Ramon may be selling instead of handing them all to Andrew. He is proving his programme through Andrew and that has basically been assured in the past few years.