The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any disadvantage to riding with too long a flap?

My saddle maker who made my EZ fit treeless saddle

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5296733...in/photostream

is going to make me a dressage-legal saddle. So he had me sit in my favorite feeling dressage saddle and take some dimensions. What do you think about the fit here? The seat is an 18 -it's not a big deal to go to an 18.5. The flap is quite long. Is there a disadvantage to having a too-long flap?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5296733...in/photostream

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Paula, I think that flap length is pretty good for you. You could go maybe an inch or two shorter, but I wouldn't go any shorter than that. Not every dressage rider has their knee at the base of the flap; it all depends where the thigh block or knee roll is on the saddle in relation to your leg/knee.

My irons hang an inch, maybe inch and a half below the end of my flap; I have some short legs. I have not had an disadvantages riding in a flap that's too long. Do I think it looks good? No, but it doesn't effect my aids to the horse.

Still, I want to eventually get a saddle with a short flap so that I feel better about my short legs.
    Boston Strong

Founding member of the Wheat Loss Clique!

Thank you so much! Do you think the seat size is okay or should I go to 18.5?

Paula

That seat looks WAY too small.... is it really an 18"? You should be able to fit a hand span from your bum to the top of the cantle (varying somewhat according to the saddle design). You should be sitting in the lowest part of the seat, and it looks here like much of your weight is on the cantle. Most importantly, you need room to MOVE.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

3 members found this post helpful.

I think the seat looks too small. Protect your pudendum and give yourself more room. Reference trying on shoes-standing in them isn't the same as really moving in them. The flap is OK, I think. No more than 1" shorter.

3 members found this post helpful.

Cool. I can easily go up to a 19 even.

Thanks, guys.
    Paula

That sounds good. I bought a too-small dressage saddle once because I WANTED it. It was agonizing to ride in. Same with a closetful of shoes

If that is indeed an 18", I'd do at least 1" - maybe even 1.5" or 2" (so says the dope with a mess of gorgeous shoes in various sizes less than a 10)

6 members found this post helpful.

Nice thing about a treeless saddle -it's not going to bridge or stab. I guess the endurance saddle I have is 19 or 19.5 maybe. It comes in S M and L and I have the L.

Paula

Just give yourself plenty of room to move. I suspect that if you could ride in the tack store saddle, you'd be "HAYULL NO!"ing after 6 walk strides

1 members found this post helpful.

I know what you mean. I tried to ride in a 17 AP once and when I posted it tried to know me

It's hard to believe I rode in a 17.5 all this time. I just didn't know any better. It's like life BD -Before Danskos - when my feet didn't know any better, any foot-shaped piece of material was acceptable as a shoe.

Paula

5 members found this post helpful.

It's nice to have some length in the flap. I have long legs and the top of my boot can catch on the bottom of the flap if it's too short - very annoying.

Oh, Paula, you had to go there and mention Danskos I have at least 6 pairs of hadda-have-might/might fit without socks/AND THEY'RE ON SALE old school Danskos in my "nevermore" closet, along with the size 4s, 6s, and many more et ceteras

1 members found this post helpful.

The moral of that story is, "This above all, to thine own self be true"

So consensus is: flap good, seat bad. So keep the flap length and go 19 on the seat. Maybe I'll swing by Stablemates and sit on a 19 just for the seat difference. Anyway, Eli knows my seat size from the endurance saddle so we can go there.

Thanks, guys.

Paula

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by norton View Post
    It's nice to have some length in the flap. I have long legs and the top of my boot can catch on the bottom of the flap if it's too short - very annoying.
    Yep, but then there's the fine line with that and having a nice soft feel with your calf and the horses that gets a bit blocked with a flap that's too long. You need to find the happy place and also see what your horse tells you about it! (Meaning, you might think he's suddenly gone deaf to your leg if you don't get it right.)
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

To me the flap looks too long. You don't want it to interfere with your leg. Do you have to have a seat that's as deep as the saddle you are sitting in? I agree that it's too small but you might also consider a flatter seat.

I liked riding in a deep seat saddle many years ago but over time I found that I didn't want to be held in place so much and now prefer a flatter seat.

Be careful if you go with a long saddle that it doesn't extend too far on Fella's back. The saddle can't extend beyond the last floating rib or there won't be enough support for it.

This is a good explanation of fitting a saddle in terms of length:

http://www.schleese.com/Schleese-Sad...-Saddle-Length
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Cool. I can easily go up to a 19 even.

Thanks, guys.
    Paula
    I wish I could go up to an 18.5 or 19. The 18 I have now is the limit of what will fit my horse's back.

Paula, it is cool that you have the option of going bigger with your Fella. I envy that.
    Sheilah

Be sure to measure Fella's back from behind the scapula (when the scapula is as far back as it can go <so have someone stretch his leg out front while you mark the spot>) to where his last rib meets his spine. Whatever measurement that is, is the space you have to work with for placing a saddle.

I do think you need a bigger seat or a more open seat. If you look closely in the picture, you'll notice how the cantle of the saddle is pushing against your bum a bit, and rocking you on to your pubic bone. This will result in some serious lower back pain, or a fork seat. Neither is fun.
    You, my dear, were blessed with a derriere as was I. I've found that I have to go up a full inch in a deep seated saddle, or find one with a long sweet spot (the lower point in the saddle is a 3-4" flat space) to not royally screw up my position. Sit in Albions SLK, Passiers Grand Gilberts from the mid 90's, or the Custom with the short knee blocks. All of those seats have been fine for maintaining my position and riding pain free. The worst was a Prestige Grand Dressage. Oh. My God those are not made for tall ladies with butts! Hopefully once you find the magic seat, he can design your saddle around how it is contstructed/angles, etc.

I think hip to knee it fits you lovely. The flap length is fine, but if we are nitpicking, I'd take it up one inch.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Imho perhaps slightly bigger seat, but the thighs are too lower/straight (which cause the pelvis to be anteriorly tilted because the panels being too long/straight). The horse should be able to feel the lower calf (too short and the boots get caught).

And you live close to the dansko outlet...lucky u.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Okay then, a flatter seat (which is fine with me actually) and maybe an inch shorter on the flap. I'll go back to stablemates and sit in an Albion 18 and an Albion 19. I do like Albions BTW.

And regarding the length on his back -these saddles are awesome. They are treeless and self-supporting. It's dream on my short-coupled horse. No pressure on the loin or anything. The panels below the saddle velcro (like piano velcro -the stuff you'd use to velcro a piano to the ceiling) and Fella's panels have a curve -they are thickest in the middle and sweep up behind, and thin out over the shoulder. Not quite as curvy as banana, but you can see the curve difference when you look at them. And then of course they all sit on a custom treeless pad.

Paula

I think it's so cool that he's custom making this for you. you'll have to post lots of pictures when it's all said and done.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble