The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kind of a shot in the dark, but why won't he shut up?

All is well with both cats as we've had the female for just over a year and the male has been here 2 weeks now with no issue. The two of them get along well, sniff each other, and occasionally they may have a little spat but it's mostly her just being playful toward him. The male stopped scarfing down his food and they both are pretty casual grazers now and that has alleviated my feeding issues as I mentioned in one of my other threads. The male also got a clean bill of health from the vet this past week when I took him in for an exam.

All of that being said, why does he feel the need to meow loudly every. damn. night. It's more of a yowl since he really has quite the voice. He usually starts in the very wee hours of the morning/very late night. He doesn't seem stressed, he could just be laying there meowing his head off. He could be laying on the floor, on the dresser, in the hallway, wherever. I've brought him into the bed with me which helps for a bit but I have no clue why he has been doing this. He has food, and a clean box. Usually he is a calm guy who mostly just lays around and naps. I don't know why he feels the need to express himself at such an hour. Any suggestions? Or will this stop? I've tried ignoring him. I've tried giving him attention. Nothing really seems to fix the issue.

Please let me know if you find the answer.

I have one that announces EVERYTHING he is about to do, currently doing, or just finishing.

1 members found this post helpful.

My cat that I had growing up at my parents house was like that

The thing is, he is quiet except for this late night/early morning thing he does. I'm about to try some earplugs.

I have one who is a mouthy girl anyway, but when she thinks it's time for me to get up, she announces it, verbally, scratching at the door, anything to get me up to give her some attention!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Have you tired enticing him with toys? Obviously preferably quiet ones so they don't drive you more crazy than the cat does!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.

Sometimes they are just amusing themselves. Great, right? Since they can sleep all day to make up for it. If you're really desperate, try some Feliway, a calming pheromone.

Distractions might be good.... I agree with Event. And love the signature quotes!!!!!

If you snatch him up and bring him in bed with you, what happens?

He's either bored or lonely. You can use the old "be careful what you wish for" training technique with a demanding cat. Go get him, make him chill with you for a little too long. He'll figure out that he shouldn't go asking for something unless he wants it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarmette View Post
    Sometimes they are just amusing themselves. Great, right? Since they can sleep all day to make up for it. If you're really desperate, try some Feliway, a calming pheromone.

Distractions might be good.... I agree with Event. And love the signature quotes!!!!!
    Assuming you mean me since no one else has signature quotes - thanks, lol They sum up my life nicely!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I'm with you on this one! Every. Single. Night. Mr Kitty and I go to bed at the same time. Every. Single. Night. he wakes me up around 3am either loudly meowing (which he does not do during the day) or by purring in my face. I try to ignore him as to not encourage the behaviour but that doesn't seem to be working!

Yeah, ignoring doesn't work. Bringing him in the bed and making him chill with me lasts 15 min or so then he's back to being vocal. I've been farm sitting this weekend but SO has been home with him and stayed up with him last night, because really, how can you sleep in a one floor house that has a cat yowling. He thinks that the cat wants to go outside, as he will sit near the door or window and do it. I've seen him do it in the hallway or other places but I guess when SO walks toward him he goes to the door.

We've only had this cat 2 weeks and he was a barn cat for a few months before I acquired him. Prior to that who knows. He just showed up at the barn one day, friend got him neutered, I took him home a few months later after deciding he'd probably be a good fit. Perhaps if we keep doing what we're doing (our normal routine) and don't let him outside he will figure out that he is not going outside? The funny thing is that he doesn't do it during the day and I could have the front door wide open and he doesn't bolt or even walk toward the door in the daytime. Perhaps as an outdoor cat he hunted at night? So that's what he's looking for. We have plenty of toys, but he's not quite the playful type.

I wish cats came with a remote for volume control/mute. I swear, my whole life I have always owned vocal cats. Most that just need to announce what they are doing or conversate in the morning/evening when I get home.

I don't have any advice for you, but my cats yowl when they want to know where I am!! If they start yowling, I just call out "I'm over here" and the cats come to join me.

Wow, I sound like a crazy cat lady!

Since your cat is with you, that obviously isn't the answer!

If he was a barn cat, then I think he is yelling because his night time shift of hunting is starting. Y'all are keeping him from going to work!

Remind me what the problem is with kicking his furry butt outside for the night?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post

I wish cats came with a remote for volume control/mute. I swear, my whole life I have always owned vocal cats. Most that just need to announce what they are doing or conversate in the morning/evening when I get home.
    Me too! I grew up in a house with 2 Burmese and 1 Siamese. Friends who slept over would always wake me up in the middle of the night to let me know a ghost was howling in the hallway.

I was constantly begging my mom to make those cats be quiet! Eventually I just stopped even hearing them. (I did love them though! One of the Burmese used to like when I dressed her up in my Cabbage Patch Kid doll clothes - what a great cat!)

Does 3am not mean breakfast? Thats usually what mine look for and love but food is the main issue

And no i wont feed them at that hour!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

My lovely rescue kitty, George, is a huge talker. I always end up having to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and he promptly wakes up, hops off the couch and follows me in there (because he's a smart kitty and knows that's where it's stored). I have a full fledged conversation with him. If I don't, he won't shut up and will yowl at the top of his lungs until I do. It's so weird, my boyfriend recorded a five minute convo one night because everyone thinks I'm crazy...which is plausible too.

My mom told me that cats talk at night because they're looking for love. I was only seven, so I'm sure there was more to that answer than I knew at the time. lol.