The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Future Eventing Super Stars - Class of 2013 Rollcall!

With all the attention on Rolex, and the competition schedule in full swing around the world, we sometimes forget that those wonderful horses start out as babies.
    And there is a subgroup of humans (note I did not say subhumans - though right about now most of us are feeling that way)
    who wil NOT be going to Rolex, or anywhere else for that matter, who are stumbling around bleary eyed and Zombielike from lack of sleep.
    Yes, we are the breeders, and right now many of us are on Foal Watch.

And across NA, these purpose bred babies are being born - the result of months (years?) of planning, anticipation, and the infusion of hope, love, damn hard work and plenty of $$.
    When all goes well, it is a time of joy and hope, when things go badly, as they sometimes do, it is a time of intense heartbreak.

Since many of us here are also bleary eyed breeders, I thought it might be fun to share our breedings, our foal announcements, and maybe keep up with updates on our Class of 2013.

My first foal of 2013, purpose bred for eventing, is 'Highclere Romance' (yes, I am a Downton Abbey addict).
    By A Fine Romance out of Trinity Creek ( Yellow CreekxAvies Copy)
    He's big, very well balanced, seems to be black, and has confidence and attitude to burn.
    Hoping for decent pictures this weekend!
    I am on foal watch for two more.....

The second foal of 2013, bred by a COTH member Lyrical is a beautiful filly by A Fine Romance out of an Abdullah mare.
    Here is a tiny clip of her first day, hello world!

https://www.facebook.com/kate.mcnall...type=2&theater

So please share your breeding plans, baby pics and news and let us know about those Future Event Stars!
    Last edited by Fred; Apr. 27, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Anxiously awaiting my first foal... Due in June by Concerto Grosso, who now has two kids competing at Intermediate, and out of Casey Darling xx, full sister to Sea Lion and her sire also sired a GP dressage horse who competed to Prelim, and two other Intermediate Eventers. I also just found a full sibling doing H/J on the A circuit too! I really feel like this foal will be super special, cannot wait to meet him/her!

2 members found this post helpful.

Wonderful mare magic - I agree your foal should be special indeed. Best of Luck with him/her!

I have two more mares in foal: another Yellow Creek daughter in foal to A Fine Romance, due in May (but starting to cause me loss of sleep now) and my young AFR daughter Tuscany Romance who is a full sister to a winning GP jumper, advanced event horse and * competitor in foal to VDL Windsor.

I am envious, well not so much of the lack of sleep, but by all the new possibilities that come with that new life. No foals for me this year, so will have to live vicariously!

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth Callahan View Post
    I am envious, well not so much of the lack of sleep, but by all the new possibilities that come with that new life. No foals for me this year, so will have to live vicariously!
    I took a couple of years off from having foals of my own, EC, and like you missed the excitement of the "new possibilities that come with that new life" (so nicely said!)- that lifts our hearts and our spirits - but did NOT miss the anxiety or the sleepless nights.

Another thing I missed is that feeling of losing your heart to that new foal which I have now done, completely, with Saucy aka Highclere.

I have one coming. No lack of sleep...she is with professionals

She is bagging up now and will probably foal in a week or so. Mare is Dutch/TB--a half sister of Rock on Rose and a lovely mare (same TB dam). Sire is Royal Prince. This is a more commercial cross for me...aiming to hopefully sell this foal quickly but if I still have him/her in 3-4 years it should still have enough blood and jump in the pedigree to go eventing (It really is a cross more for dressage but still with a good jump and enough blood to be modern).

My filly from this mare last year is looking like either an event prospect or jumper (she's by the SF sire Desir du Chateau).
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Apr. 27, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

My 2013 foal has had a couple of dedicated threads already but why not add her to the general list?

Misty Kiss is the daughter of Kissy Kiss and Chairman. Young Misty has a very old-school pedigree on both sides, and is the only filly foal by Chairman in the US. This is Misty and Kiss on their first outdoor adventure.

Misty was born on April 7 in an unattended, surprise birth. I supposed we shouldn't have been surprised because the vets we used last year at NCSU Repro were so utterly unprofessional and incompetent, why on earth would we expect them to calculate a due date correctly? That they could get even one mare in foal was something of a miracle.

I haven't seen Misty in person yet but plan to go see her sometime in May. I'm told she's a very pleasant foal and that Kiss is a good mum.

I am on foal watch as well, our third and last for the year. A TB, crossed with Holsteiner, purpose bred for eventing.

Here is the last one, and there is a thread about her, but anyway:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lna2zX0h6Aw
    Love her, she is gorgeous and a total brat! Also Holsteiner. I also just purchased what may be the very last straws of available Fleetwater Opposition to breed to this mare. Very excited for this next year.

And this is the one that started off the year, also Holsteiner x Oldeburgh:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqJLvvGbxZ4 No more breeding for this mare, she goes to work now, and she had a tough birth, colicked, and just isn't mean to be a mom....she lets everyone else do that.

Please excuse manure, we hadn't had any rain, and grass is so shallow at time, that it can come right up if try and drag. So we had lots of rain next couple days, and it looks so much better...lol.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Our first foal of 2013 was purpose-bred for eventing. His owner wanted a full sibling to Harry Houdini but wound up buying the colt by Tzigane *Pb* (sire of HH and Kyle & Jennifer Carter's FEI mare Sayyida) out of our imported Orania (Harlem Go - Heraldik xx). Champion foal @ the huge show in Graditz 2007, Orania is a beautiful mare combining the blood of Mahagoni (rideability) and Donauwind (sire of Abdullah) with #1 eventing sire in the world, Heraldik xx.

We think this owner hit the jackpot and will definitely be repeating this breeding for a 2014 foal. Outstanding in type, temperament and conformation (a ton of bone on this colt), Overlord (Oli) showed us on day 4 he had the stride to make time xc: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7pWLpa0D1s
    Owner of ATA and Verband-Approved Trakehner stallion, Tzigane *Pb*, breeder of ATA-approved Semper Fidelis

www.twingates.com

Our purpose-bred are of a shorter Irish variety We have three mares by the Connemara stallion, *Grange Finn Sparrow, sire of numerous upper level event horses (both purebred and partbred Connemaras). We are crossing our mares to Thoroughbred, Irish Draft, and Irish Sporthorse stallions, and plan to retain some daughters to cross back to one of our Connemara colts.

We only have one for 2013, Brambleridge Avril Sparrow, a RID x Conn x TB : https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...9829068&type=1

We had one filly in 2012 by Salute the Truth: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9829068&type=1

We plan to breed two of our mares to the TB stallion Artrageous this year, and Sparrow's Tiptoes will go to Flexible.
    Last edited by GAEventer; Apr. 28, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Very exciting everyone, so much to look forward to!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by GAEventer View Post
    Our purpose-bred are of a shorter Irish variety We have three mares by the Connemara stallion, *Grange Finn Sparrow, sire of numerous upper level event horses (both purebred and partbred Connemaras). We are crossing our mares to Thoroughbred, Irish Draft, and Irish Sporthorse stallions, and plan to retain some daughters to cross back to one of our Connemara colts.

We only have one for 2013, Brambleridge Avril Sparrow, a RID x Conn x TB : https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...9829068&type=1

We had one filly in 2012 by Salute the Truth: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9829068&type=1

We plan to breed two of our mares to the TB stallion Artrageous this year, and Sparrow's Tiptoes will go to Flexible.
    Totally in love with your palomino filly! Tiny, but gorgeous and spunky!!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I only have one foal coming this year... Not sure if he/she will event (we'll see when he/she is born, which will hopefully be in the week), but the blood says it is possible/probable. By Tate and out of my Trakehner mare (who is mostly TB), Emerald Fire.

But last year I had one that is purpose made for eventing - and had two relatives running at Rolex this weekend. On the sire side, Seacookie, is closely related and on the dam side is Can't Fire Me although it is a bit further back.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

I'm taking (Hanoverian) As di Valentia to the MD Horse Trials for the Three Year Old FEH class. He's out of the Han.-approved TB mare Camille (good TB jumper blood there and she herself is a jumper) and by As di Villagana, the grand prix jumper. "Vals" is currently starting under saddle with Bobby Meyerhoff and we hope to event him. So he's the class of 2010 but I'm expecting a Sir Wanabi in a few weeks if all goes well so we'll see........

Diane Halpin/Laurel Leaf Hanoverians: Facebook

Not eventing, but a lovely story for breeders:

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=20979

Jacqueline Brooks' horse D Niro reunited with his breeder.

We also have two Concerto Grosso full siblings. CG has some chrome hidden back there because dark bay mom and dark bay dad produced TWO chestnuts with chrome. Mother is my BWP mare, Galiba.
    Here is mom & dad.

The filly was born on 4/12 to an ET mare.

The colt was born on 4/20 to Galiba.

I couldn't be more thrilled with these babies. They are so friendly and seem very balanced and athletic.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Love Galiba JWB! she looks so much like two of my fillies, both by Landslide out of my full sister to AFR.
    I'll try to post a link to one of them

.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...al_comments=23

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5373854&type=1

This is 'Bittersweet'. She is competing as a hunter, but I think she would make a wonderful eventer, and producer of eventers, bred to the right stallion.
    Last edited by Fred; Apr. 29, 2013 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Totally in love with your palomino filly! Tiny, but gorgeous and spunky!!
    Thank you She's a pistol!
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Sat night our Irish Draught mare foaled an IDSH filly.
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/eponas+rose+of+tralee

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/horse...26833295718427

I can now go back to fully rested until summer when we have an Irish Draught foal due
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Love Galiba JWB! she looks so much like two of my fillies, both by Landslide out of my full sister to AFR.
    I'll try to post a link to one of them

.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...al_comments=23

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5373854&type=1

This is 'Bittersweet'. She is competing as a hunter, but I think she would make a wonderful eventer, and producer of eventers, bred to the right stallion.

Check the privacy settings! I can't see your photos. I'd love to breed Libby to AFR and get something with a little higher % TB blood, but I think she's going back to work for now.
    The rebel in the grey shirt