The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ouchy tall boots

I have a pair of Ariat Crowne Pros I've been trying to break in for awhile now. I don't wear them very often because they don't have zippers and besides I hate schooling in boots.

Anyhow, I watered them and then walked around in them for a week and I've worn them about a dozen times since then.

They have dropped and are wrinkled in the ankle area but the wrinkles are like knives. For real, if I wear the boots for two rides in a row I end up with bruises on my feet and ankles.

They are also a smidgle tight in the left calf and my calf goes a bit numb, any ideas for stretching them out a bit?

Ugh, I HATE the sharp, rubby, pointy ankle wrinkles! Those do hurt like a sonofabee!
    They make some leather conditioners that soften and help stretch boots, the name is escaping me right now. It's a bit of a pain, but sometimes the most direct fix is to bring them to a bootmaker or cobbler and have them remedy the problem. When it's not altering them, it's not expensive. They have spring forms they can put into the ankles and the one calf and they can stretch them/reform them for you.
    If you try at home, I've found using a deep hydrating conditioner rubbed into those ankles wrinkles and them stuffing them *tight* with wadded up newspaper or tightly rolled pillowcases and leaving them like that a help. Also vet-wrapping your ankles, LOL! Or a pair of heel risers, those can help raise your ankles over the worst of the wrinkles until they soften up.
    Not sure the best way to stretch a calf at home, can't think of how to increase the pressure inside it to stretch it.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

What about rubbing alcohol?

It sounds like the ankle folds are not in the right place, ouch! I've had some success using conditioner on the inside of the boots (Lexol or something), not outside or they won't take a shine, to soften the folds up and then kind of work them with my fingers to push the sharpest part of the fold out.

Last pair of boots I bought, I decided to make the folds where I wanted them, rather than leaving it to chance...put the boots on and figured out where I wanted the ankle to break, then took them off, put conditioner in the areas where they would fold and then weighted them down, in folded position, to force the break in the right place and left them overnight, each evening, while breaking them in.

I just started using mink oil on the inside of the ankles of my boots. I've only done it once, I'll keep it up and let you know how it goes!

Well, apparently I lack rubbing alcohol so I rubbed the inside of the boots on the calf with hand sanitizer, put them on, and then squished Leaderbasalm all over the folds and wore them in my home while I watched Rolex.

Several hours later I took them off, or tried to. Took me a good 5 minutes to get each boot off and my calves still hurt. Fail.

How about moleskin on your ankles to shield the rubbing?

I feel you. I bought a pair of Ariat Crowns off TOTD to use as schooling boots. I hate them. I don't think I've even worn them in the last 2-3 years. I need to just take them down to Middleburg Tack Exchange and leave them there.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Your boots need a new home or professional help
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

2 members found this post helpful.

Agree with petstorejunkie but in the meantime a pair of the gel ankle wraps are awesome! I bought some at Dover's and big difference in the ankle rub zone! I wish I could get an entire suit made of the stuff!!!

The problem seems to be I'm somewhere between a slim calf and a regular calf but more closely to a slim calf.

So no chance of them stretching at all?

I was hoping that they got stuck on because I was wearing thicker socks under my boot socks to protect my ankles and I got them wet with the conditioner.

They probably got stuck on because your legs swell throughout the day.
    I tend to run between slim and regular... It's a real PIA
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Ugh. I literally have 4 pairs of boots sitting on my tack trunk right now.

One Nittany in a 7 slim that I've had for 10 years that suddenly make my calves go numb.

One pair of 7 slim tall effinghams that come over my knee caps

One pair of size 6 effinghams in regular calf that are not only brown dress boots but are also too short (I ermmm, wear them with sweater dresses and skinny jeans)

One pair of ariat crowne pros in size 7 slim regular that are really nice looking boots but also cause the calf numbness.

I have not gained weight but my calves are more muscular.

I just got my new pair of customs in and the ankle folds are painful on mine too! Someone I know suggested the equifit wraps for it they make ones with silicone on the inside and they are supposed to help! I am going to pick up a pair this week and will report back on how they work

RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

Isn't the boot stretch just rubbing alcohol? Do you use it on the inside, the outside, or both?

FWIW I have had my Crowne Pros for 5 years and have shown, clinic-ed and once spent the entire winter in them, and they have. not. broken. in. Mine are pull-ons and yes, I spent about $200 at the cobbler's trying to get them to work. No go. Now I'm going to try and trash them as quickly as possible so I have an excuse to buy new boots.

My 20-year-old Dehners, on the other hand, are absolutely lovely. They look like they might need replacing soon, and I am dreading the day when I will have to retire them for a new pair.

Ok, do I put the alcohol on the inside or the outside of the boot or both?

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Ok, do I put the alcohol on the inside or the outside of the boot or both?
    The inside, if you put it on the outside it will strip the polish off (handy if you have a build up of polish though).