The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cushings

Has anyone had experience with Cushings?
    I'd love any feedback you could give.

Thanks,

There are lots of threads on this on the Horse Care forum. Try a forum search.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

1 members found this post helpful.

Besides Crushing, in your search, look for Prascend, and pergolide.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

The other search term that will yield good info is the acronym for the actual disease name, PPID. You can find helpful information on www.ecirhorse.com also.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

All of the above, I have a Cushings pony who is maintaining very well.

Yup, my turned 29 (today!) year old gelding has cushings. He has been diagnosed with it for about 10 years now. We just make sure he gets his peroglide and keep him on a low starch diet and he is doing just fine. Still tons of spunk even at his age now. Oh yeah and we have to clip him about 4 times a year so invest in some nice clippers.

Cushings, untreated, can lead to founder so you have to treat the horse/pony. That said - you can get the medication relatively cheaply via Internet (but need a vet script).

Older pony I took in as a companion had long hair, after naggting vet I finally TOLD her to test for Cushings - and he had it. Put him on their $100/month powder - which goes bad easily and timing is tough since you have to buy it "fresh" - monthly.

Friend cued me into internet sales where for $15/month (excluding shipping) you can get it in capsule form. Capsules are better than powder as the lack of air keeps the medication "fresh" and horses eat capsule with pelleted feed. Since capsules last longer I can order a 60 day supply, so not ordering meds every month and easier than powder for telling how long it will be fore you "run out" of the medication.

Pony still needs occassional body clipping but does better with a low starch feed.
    Sandy in Fla.

Yes... get the vet out. Run blood work and start meds. It's worth the money to put them on Pergolide. Hairy coats, abscesses and risk of founder are minimized. Ask your vet to help you figure a program for your horse. It's well worth it.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina_32926 View Post
    Cushings, untreated, can lead to founder so you have to treat the horse/pony. That said - you can get the medication relatively cheaply via Internet (but need a vet script).

Older pony I took in as a companion had long hair, after naggting vet I finally TOLD her to test for Cushings - and he had it. Put him on their $100/month powder - which goes bad easily and timing is tough since you have to buy it "fresh" - monthly.

Friend cued me into internet sales where for $15/month (excluding shipping) you can get it in capsule form. Capsules are better than powder as the lack of air keeps the medication "fresh" and horses eat capsule with pelleted feed. Since capsules last longer I can order a 60 day supply, so not ordering meds every month and easier than powder for telling how long it will be fore you "run out" of the medication.

Pony still needs occassional body clipping but does better with a low starch feed.
    Where online do you buy your prascend? I am buying it through my vet and paying $60/mo!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina_32926 View Post

I too would like to know which website that is, if you don't mind sharing
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube