The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I saw one a day or so ago. Set my trap. Didn't catch anything. Then I saw mrs fox out with her kits, I freaked and put the trap away. Then today, I saw 3-4 small groundhogs, so I went right away and got my trap and set it up again. If I catch a kit then I will let it go right away. Doubt it. WISH mr fox would catch one for supper.

I caught a small one last year same area. I took it and let it go near a stream 10 miles away from my place.

If you put cat poo in the hole, they will just move and dig else where.

I am using frozen strawberries, I unthawed them. Can also use honey dew melon. Today I have FRESH strawberries. I put 2-3 in the cage, rubbed the strawberries on the cage, and after 1/2 a day with no luck I put a strawberry out in front of the cage. Some say they are easy to catch, but I think it takes time. Few days. I did see one out and about but it was ignorning my bait. Maybe they are like rats/mice and they have to get used to the cage. It took forever to catch the fox squirrel. I keep checking the trap. As soon as somebody goes in and pops the trap shut I will get it and take it to the other place to release.

I do not release everything I catch. Rabbits, yes, squirrels yes (but the one I caught was dead), and ground hogs I let loose.

Where can I get a weasel! After reading the weasel thread, I thought those 'hogs were weasels. But, sigh, not so. WISH. I would also take a Sydney Weasley too!!

Maybe that is why I see mr fox in that area frequently! He does have a family to feed.

Yes, no 'hogs for us. I do not want to have a horse break a leg, or me fall in the holes with the tractor and AGAIN get whip lash from the holes, and break my bush hog pin, again.

Maybe I can do as last time put dog doo in the holes, and they would be ousted out and into my trap! Hmmm.

Have you heard the term "whistle pigs"? If you see one in
    the field you whistle and they stand straight up. That's when you shoot them!
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

trapping and relocating wildlife is illegal in most places. It's more humane to quickly kill them. The usual outcome of relocating a wild animal is a slow lingering death. Consider that when young marmots leave their mothers and try to find a new territory of their own an estimated 70 to 80% don't survive being hole-less during this period of time. Marmots are also territorial- if you dump your hog in a place where another marmot lives, there will be a nasty fight. Also consider a major cause of death of marmots is failing to survive the winter hibernation due to insufficient fat stores- if your relocated marmot spends several weeks doing unexpected running, fighting, digging, and looking for new food sources, he'll probably hit winter with insufficient fat stores and die.

If there is only one I would trap it and then get rid of it in the manner in which you choose....
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/