The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Grand Prix Show Coat Sizing

Thinking of ordering a Grand Prix Techlite show coat and am trying to figure out what size to order. My local shop doesn't have anything near my size in stock and the sizing is somewhat confusing to me.

I'm about 5'6 and don't have an especially long torso. I'm average size - not super well endowed but not flat and usually am a 36 in my RJ Classics snap collar show shirts (and usually a 26-28 in breeches).

Any suggestions from those of you who have them? THANKS!!!

Can you try on a wool version of a Grand Prix coat? I found that the fit and sizing is almost the same in the 3 button style and I went up a size from the 3 button in the 4 button style since I thought it fit a bit tighter in the chest area! I'm 5ft and I wear a 10/12 short for reference.

I'm 5'6" around 130lbs, around a 37-29-40 measurement and I wear a 14L, but I have a long torso. In street clothes I wear between a 6-10.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I used this chart when ordering my classic coat. http://www.doversaddlery.com/images/...sSizeChart.jpg.

I found the measurements true to size. I'm a 41 in the bust and ordered a size 18 and it fit me very well. The 16 was just a smidge too tight. However, it was their classic coat. I'm not sure if there is a big difference between that fit and the tech lite fit.

I wear a size 6 to 8 in street clothes and wear a 14R in Grand Prix coats. My torso isn't long, but my arms are. I weigh about 145 lbs and measure 34-29-40.

I wear a 6 in street clothes and a 12 in Grand Prix.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Collective wisdom here says 12R in a TechLite.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Thanks everyone.

I am wondering whether to opt for 12 or 14. I am between a 6-8 in street clothes and don't want it to look boxy but on the other hand don't want to look like a stuffed sausage!

I am looking at the hunter coat (3, not 4 button). I was able to try on a 12R in a wool coat and it was a smidge short in the sleeves and I certainly would not want it any tighter. Then again the wool has little to no stretch - whereas the Techlite might?

I also have an older Elite (same company as Grand Prix) in a size 16R but it is quite a bit too big for me.

I don't want to have to pay to ship it back if it doesn't fit!
    Last edited by LastCall9; Apr. 27, 2013 at 05:15 PM.

The TechLite and Softshell materials will have MUCH more stretch than a wool jacket. Can you get a 12L in a softshell? I believe they do make that option

I'm similar in size - wear a 6-8 in street clothing, 5'6", and what I would consider an average sized frame (meaning "not skinny"). I've always worn a 14 in GP coats. I've got 7 or 8 of them, and I've found that the 14S (slim, not short) fits me the best. One of them is a technical fabric coat that I got when they first came out and that's also a 14. Because it's stretchier it's a hair larger than my wool coats, but comfortably so.

So my advice would be to go for a 14 slim if you have the option (not sure if they offer that option in the tech fabrics).

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    So my advice would be to go for a 14 slim if you have the option (not sure if they offer that option in the tech fabrics).
    They do! I tried one on yesterday. Love the slim option!

14 slim? I have never heard of it - probably because my local shops usually only have the regular size and sometimes tall if you're lucky. Does the slim take away size just at the waist? It sounds JUST like what I need!!

Quote Originally Posted by LastCall9 View Post
    14 slim? I have never heard of it - probably because my local shops usually only have the regular size and sometimes tall if you're lucky. Does the slim take away size just at the waist? It sounds JUST like what I need!!
    Yes, it's a little bit more tapered at the waist and I've found the arms to be a bit slimmer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Yes, it's a little bit more tapered at the waist and I've found the arms to be a bit slimmer too.
    Where'd you try it? None of my coats fit me properly and I'd love a new one before my next show (and it will take 6-8 weeks to order one!)

ETA - anyone on here ever have a Techlite jacket tailored?? Tailors are used to working with your average wool blazer, but I'm not so sure about messing around with modern materials and the mesh lining?!
    Last edited by LastCall9; Apr. 28, 2013 at 09:53 PM.

I just bought that exact coat - thankfully I could try them on at the Dover in Raleigh. I am an 8 in street clothes, short waisted, narrow shoulders and I got the 14R. It fits very well (and I LOVE it) but if I had known about the slim option, I might have gotten that. The "R" in the hunter tech lite is not particularly form fitting. I will tell you this - I was terrified to wash it in the washer the first time. I have now washed it twice and it comes out of the washer in beautiful condition! I put it on delicate and put it on a hanger and it is perfect!
    friend of bar.ka

Default Jacket Sizing

Hi,
    We are the manuf. of Grand Prix.

We have many different size options.

Regular, Short and Tall. The overall length will change but it is taken out or added at the waist. For either short waisted or long waisted people.

We also do slim 1" smaller at the waist. Pro Cut 2" smaller at the waist.

We also have a cut for larger busted riders that is one bust size larger than the same size would normally be, but everything else stays the same.

We also do special orders where small adjustments can be made to the fit.

I hope that is helpful.

3 members found this post helpful.

Default If you have long arms, consider having them add length in the arms

My daughter got a Grand Prix Techlite. The size that fit her best in the body was too short in the sleeves. It was a special order anyway due to color and piping around the collar so we had them add an extra inch in length to the sleeve length and the coat is perfect for her now. So if you are special ordering it anyway, take advantage of that opportunity to ask for alterations like sleeve length.

Quote Originally Posted by LastCall9 View Post
    Where'd you try it? None of my coats fit me properly and I'd love a new one before my next show (and it will take 6-8 weeks to order one!)
    The Kocher Tack trailer at the Garden State horse show in NJ. Last week was the Preview show, so they'll be there through this week. They had the best selection I've seen so far.