The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default does anyone live in SW jersey outside philly? some questions

hello, i am looking for a small farm in the philly area, and everything in PA is either way too much (budget=$300k MAX) or needs tons of work. my realtor asked if i was open to jersey, so i started looking at places and WOW...you can get a lot more house for your money there! i looked at 11 places in gloucester, camden, and salem counties so far and liked quite a few of them. there's one thing i want to ask, though, and i feel a little crazy for asking!

all the places that were already fenced with horses had something in common...the pastures looked beat down. i mean i guess it's possible that every last one of the homeowners weren't good at pasture management, but i feel like there has to be more to it. the soil on that side seem (and this is the crazy part!) sandy. i don't see how it could be THAT different from the soil in PA, but the pastures on our side (well managed, but still) of the river are robust at this point.

overall, while driving through jersey, i seemed to notice that the trees seem...stunted, the grass seems sparser and weedier in general, and there were more random bodies of water all over the place (ponds and all other manner of water).

so, my questions are, is the soil there actually poor or am i imagining things? does it take special management, seeding, fertilizing? does all that water mean more flooding and mud? and in general, do you like living in southern jersey? thanks so much for any input!
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Parts of NJ have sandy soil. Parts have great soil. It depends. I am shopping for the same thing, roughly How many acres? A lot of the overgrazed farms I see are just too small for the # of horses.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Much of south Jersey is sandy, flat, and boggy, ergo the Pine Barrens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Barrens_(New_Jersey)

As a born North Jerseyan, I am a NNJ snob. We have marvelous rocky clay up here

1 members found this post helpful.

Wide swatches of SJ are not. Mullica Hill area, for example, is largely un-sandy (is that a word?) and has good grass. It really depends.
    ~Veronica

I live in Medford NJ. My soil is partly sandy, but I have good grass.

My parents live in Moorestown and their soil has a high clay content.

I think much of the condition may be due to poor pasture management and overgrazing-although that wouldn't answer the stunted tree issue.

Do you get the Horse of the Delaware Valley? There are lots of farms listed there.

Taxes are a killer in NJ. I think they are not as bad in the counties where you are looking but up here, they are terrible!!

Feel free to call or PM me if you want to ask anything!

OP- Just a few things to think about with moving to NJ. Property taxes are usually much higher than in PA and car insurance for NJ residents is substantially higher! I learned the hard way!

Boy, I looked at some s-c-a-r-y places today.

Taxes are higher in NJ but if you have sufficient acreage there's the tax assessment. $400,000 doesn't seem to buy you a farmette within 30 mins of Philly anywhere in PA but it does seem to in NJ.
    ~Veronica

thank you everyone for your replies! wrt the taxes, i had heard that, but my realtor said they actually aren't too different bc in PA there are school taxes, but not in NJ. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with selling a place in PA and buying a similar place in NJ and paying more taxes? The taxes have seemed the same in both states-$4-6k. unless there are some hidden taxes in there that i don't know about yet! ack.

vxf, i wouldn't be surprised if we were looking at some of the same places! some of the places i looked at this week i burned rubber to get away from! no wonder they were on the market :P

i'm glad to hear that the soil may have just been bad due to overgrazing! i'm looking for between 5-10 acres. a couple places had too many horses on them, IMO. (one was a boarding barn with 15 stalls and i think they were all full, on less than 10 acres! yikes)
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

thank you everyone for your replies! wrt the taxes, i had heard that, but my realtor said they actually aren't too different bc in PA there are school taxes, but not in NJ. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with selling a place in PA and buying a similar place in NJ and paying more taxes? The taxes have seemed the same in both states-$4-6k. unless there are some hidden taxes in there that i don't know about yet! ack.

vxf, i wouldn't be surprised if we were looking at some of the same places! some of the places i looked at this week i burned rubber to get away from! no wonder they were on the market :P

i'm glad to hear that the soil may have just been bad due to overgrazing! i'm looking for between 5-10 acres. a couple places had too many horses on them, IMO. (one was a boarding barn with 15 stalls and i think they were all full, on less than 10 acres! yikes)

I can't even type out what I saw today, it was beyond disgusting and demoralizing! I saw one "maybe." There's just not much inventory out there.
    ~Veronica

In regards to farm assessment, you need at least 6 acres. If it is not already farm qualified, it probably wouldn't be worth your effort to try.

In my township, we are assessed full taxes on the house and 1 full acre whether or not it is in pasture. You also have to be careful you qualify to keep the farm assessment-breeding counts but keep in mind it costs $10,000 to raise the baby to a 3 year old even on your own property. Boarding can count but then you have to get insurance and have the personality/desire to have boarders. It can be a little more difficult when it is your residence to have people dropping by at all hours.

I'm not sure if you would be commuting to Philly, but that may be something to consider also. The further southern counties are more rural and don't feel quite as suburban, which may or may not be something you like.

I'd be happy to give you a tour of the area around where I live if you are interested, just to give you a feel of what it's like.

mk-that's so nice of you! when i know i will be over in jersey again, i will send you a pm.

vfx-i hope you find something! is your realtor experienced with horse farms? there is actually quite a bit out there and it sounds like your price point is higher than mine. be interesting to compare notes!

My realtor is kind of new to being a realtor but she's a horse person. We should compare notes!
    ~Veronica

How about Hunterdon County? I have a 17 acre farm, 2 barns, riding ring, indoor, 3 BR home I am about to list!

I don't know about dablue but that is way outside my commute range to philly. Hunterdon is lovely!
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I don't know about dablue but that is way outside my commute range to philly. Hunterdon is lovely!
    yes, i'd LOVE to live up there, but there's just no way i could find a job that pays what my job in the city pays. if i had my druthers i'd still be in the lehigh valley but there's just no work.

Starting next year, you must earn at least $1,000 in farm income to qualify for farmland assessment. Not a lot, but twice what it's been for the past 50 years. Also, you pay full taxes on your house and one acre. I live near the Horse Park of NJ and pay over $12,000 a year in property taxes on a 7 acre parcel with no barn.