The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Advice for horse that jumps too far out on the backside of the jump

I have a horse that overjumps and lands really far out on the backside of the jump. If I put a placing pole on the backside of the jump he almost lands on top of it. He's really scopey, but it tends to make him flat on the front side of the jump so that he catches the front rail with his front legs. What exercises can I do to teach him not to jump so flat and land so far on the backside?

I would suggest practicing over bounces set with low wide oxers with verticals in between. The low wide oxers will teach him to form a proper bascule over the fences and not get so flat while the verticles will keep him pushing from behind and rocking back on his haunches. The bounces will teach him that he must regulate his rhythm and distances between take off and landing.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

1 members found this post helpful.

You have to fix the front of the arc to fix the back of it. Use a six foot trot rail to a jump with a wide groundline, then a landing rail. Once he's comfortable you can make the jump a rampy oxer to further encourage him to finish his arc. You have to slow down the front end instead of speed it up.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    You have to fix the front of the arc to fix the back of it. Use a six foot trot rail to a jump with a wide groundline, then a landing rail. Once he's comfortable you can make the jump a rampy oxer to further encourage him to finish his arc. You have to slow down the front end instead of speed it up.
    This.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

I have a big geldign with the same problem. CBoylen/Equisuasan, how far out would you put the landing rail? Would you put it farther than "normal" at first and then gradually move it closer, or just put it in the normal place and let the horse figure it out?

Also, mine is pretty good trotting into fences, but jumps out past the right arc when he's cantering them. Would you just use a ton of singles with landing rails to work on this?
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Quote Originally Posted by ElementFarm View Post
    I have a big geldign with the same problem. CBoylen/Equisuasan, how far out would you put the landing rail? Would you put it farther than "normal" at first and then gradually move it closer, or just put it in the normal place and let the horse figure it out?

Also, mine is pretty good trotting into fences, but jumps out past the right arc when he's cantering them. Would you just use a ton of singles with landing rails to work on this?
    I use landing rails 10ft from the base.

I also use them in the middle of lines after my mare got used to placing rail before and after, both 10 ft.

After he is used to landing rails both before and after, try...

Rail -10ft- Fence -10ft- Rail -10ft- Fence -10ft- Rail

I play with the combinations but you get the idea.

I second or third the bounces....
    My mare has the same problem, pretty flat jump naturally and more off her front end.
    The higher,2.6-9, trot fences really help her strengthen her hiney and learn to rock back then push up and over vesus just over and relying on her knees to be tight.