The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tail rubbed raw and mare is miserable...

I was told when I bought my mare that she rubbed her tail raw every spring, but I thought no that won't happen. Well I was wrong I spent all winter working on her tail and grew it out 4 inches and she destroyed it in 2 days. 6 months of growth for 2days of rubbing. She has rubbed the skin off and most of the hair. She also very sensitive around her dock area. I feel so bad for her and I really don't know what to do please help me help her! We live in Oklahoma and she's spends the day in a stall and she goes out all night with a mare a few years older then her.

Usually it's the result of pinworms. Worm, and wash tail with Microtek anti itch shampoo. I would also put a mosquito mesh fly sheet with tail flap on her, and spray (not on tail when it's raw) with fly spray. Could be midges biting at night.

Things to check...

- Does she have worms?
    - Is her udder clean?
    - Have you washed the dock thoroughly with an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal shampoo?
    - Have you tried a fly sheet with tail flap?
    - Have you tried adding flax into the diet (natural anti-inflammatory)?
    - Have you talked to your vet about adding an antihistimine?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

2 members found this post helpful.

Does she seem itchy? If so my guess it is sweet itch, in which case a good fly sheet with a tail flap should help a lot. Sweet itch would also make sense if she does it every year.

I've also seen a yeast infection in mares cause this as well. You may want to mention this to your vet.

My mare started acting this way....rubbed both her mane and tail off. I suspected that it was either worms (power packed), dietary(mare is 30 years old and can no longer eat grass or hay) or sweet itch but wasn't sure. I added an omega 3 supplement (Smart Omega from smart pak) to her diet and so far this year she's been good!
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Can also be caused by knat bites around their groin area. Since they can't reach their groin with their mouths they will back up and rub the crap out of their butts, destroying their tails. Brown, original style Listerine is a great knat repellent and won't irritate the skin.

Ditto on checking all the other things mentioned, but I've had very good luck with Shapley's M-T-G for this sort of problem.

Ditto on all the above checklists.

I had a gelding here who was a tail rubber and he was put on steroids by the vet. Had been on steroids for a while and owner wanted to take him off them. We added flax and msm to his diet as we weaned him off the steroids. He looked the same on this as he had on the steroids, so it may be worth looking into if everything else checks out fine.

My very itchy and allergic draft used to rub his tail and mane out every year. Last year I discovered Hilton Herbs Bye Bye Itch lotion and supplement....it is simply amazing. His tail started regrowing after a few days and I realized last month as I was trimming up his roached mane that I could actually let it grow out (but since he looks so cool with it and it saves me from braiding, I won't!).

http://calypsofarmeventers.blogspot....d-miracle.html
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep