The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Waiting for call back from vet..in the meantime, food question

In January at the recommendation of my veterinarian, I switched my dogs to California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato after doing a trial on Prescription Z/D trying to rule out food allergies. We'd been dealing with loose stools in my older dog post GI surgery for months. Did the metronidazole, Tylan, probiotics, etc etc. Finally a prednisone trial ended the inflammation and we've had smooth sailing for about 10 weeks. YAY!

Well, I went in this afternoon to get another bag of food and guess what? All California Natural dry food got recalled due to salmonella found in some of the cat formula.

Not sure when it will be back in stock.

I do not have enough food to mix with anything new. I am contemplating picking up another bag of Z/D just to be on the safe side but even that might be problematic.

Left a message for my boss at the clinic but may not hear back until later this evening as he's booked solid.

In the meantime, anyone have suggestions for comparable foods?

This is what I'm feeding now...and I'm off to google some more but thought some of you might have ideas so I don't elicit more GI issues...

http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products/1201

TIA!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

http://www.pinnaclepet.com/Canine/dog_food_salmon.htm

Or

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/pro...ry+Dog+Formula

Or

http://bluebuffalo.com/dog-food/basics-salmon

Or

http://www.canidae.com/dogs/grain-fr...morePURE2.html

Or

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/produ...120&dm=allergy

Or if you're willing to give another protein a try:

http://www.acana.com/products/singles/

I've fed Pinnacle and have been very happy with it. You know I love the Orijen/Acana stuff. Natural Balance isn't my favorite, since it's not meat first, but might work fine for you for now.

AFAIK, there's NOTHING out there quite like CalNat with the one protein and the one carb and nothing else. (Natural Balance looks to be the closest.) Could you cook for him?

Yeah, I can cook. I just don't want to if i don't have to. Cooking for two 90+lb dogs might put ME in the dog house. DH wasn't very thrilled back when I was doing rice and chicken or beef. Not sure how he'll feel if I start buying herring and sweet potatoes and stinking up the house. LOL

NB is what I found as well. I will look into the pinnacle. That's not one I've seen here before but I haven't looked hard either.

I'm not a very big fan of Bluebuffalo but for totally silly reasons. Had trouble with it with our youngest dog and eventually the food was recalled but took a lot of doing trying to get them to admit there was an issue. (that's what he came home from the breeder on.)

Will keep looking. Cooking myself may be easier/cheaper than going back to Z/D. I'm just kind of leery of changing variables right now.

Are switching permanently because of the recall, or do you just need another food until the recall is straightened out?
    If it is just temporary, and you know that something will work (Z/D, chicken and rice, etc.), then I would do that. For myself, personally, I wouldn't want to feed Z/D forever unless I absolutely had to.
    Fromm does have a Whitefish and Potato that might work. It also has other types of potatos, but it might be something to check on. Frankly, with as much GI stuff as you've dealt with, I'd be tempted to go back once the issue is straightened out.

I also feed California Natural grain free salmon and peas. My feed store was out, I needed dog food. I went with this: http://nutrisca.dogswell.com/salmon.html until the California Natural is available again.

My dogs dont' have terribly sensitive tummies, though, as long as I stay with grain free (going back on grains makes my cattle dog get GI inflammation and he pukes until I clear it up with some metronidazol).

They've been on this Nutrisca for a few weeks now and no issues with either one of them.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, my thought was buy a bag of something to use temporarily and go back to what is working. I'm not opposed to switching long term but frankly, I'm not a fan of changing things up when everything is FINALLY working properly. Especially now that I'm working and can't be home to deal with potty breaks every hour due to explosive diarrhea.

Simkie, I'll look at those too. Thanks. Have to pop off to tutor for a bit. Will check back.

Thank you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Casey09 View Post
    Are switching permanently because of the recall, or do you just need another food until the recall is straightened out?
    If it is just temporary, and you know that something will work (Z/D, chicken and rice, etc.), then I would do that. For myself, personally, I wouldn't want to feed Z/D forever unless I absolutely had to.
    Fromm does have a Whitefish and Potato that might work. It also has other types of potatos, but it might be something to check on. Frankly, with as much GI stuff as you've dealt with, I'd be tempted to go back once the issue is straightened out.

Is it a recent recall? Maybe there are some older backs kicking around at petstores that havent been recalled?

The only one I have tried is the wellness whitefish and sweet potatoe. Dog loved it...but she eats anything anyway.

I hear what you mean about not wanting to change up anything though!!! Hpefully the pred will keep his belly functioning properly while you find another food that works.

After the last recall of salmonella laced innova prime I switched to Castor and Pollux Ultramix, grain free and poultry free. It is made with salmon. The last bag I grabbed was 38% protein content which is great for my super active springer spaniel. Best of all, it is available at petsmart now!
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

More salmon ones
    http://frommfamily.com/products/four...almon-a-la-veg
    http://frommfamily.com/products/four...almon-tunalini

My husband wouldn't be impressed if I started cooking salmon and sweet potatoes in the house either, even for the dog!

Shiaway, you have some good points about the quality control of various foods posted. I am one of those who refuses to use Natura Pet since the P&G buyout--NOT because of the purchase but because I noticed *consistent* changes in their dog and cat food following the purchase. My cats ate EVO great pre P&G, my cats did not eat EVO well at all post P&G, and the food LOOKED DIFFERENT case after case. SOMETHING CHANGED. You simply CANNOT convince me that something did not change, because I saw it with my very own eyeballs. I tried to continue for some time, but could not, because the cats weren't eating enough.

I am not at all surprised that Natura Pet has had a recall since the P&G purchase. You cannot say "this is the first recall NP has had in 20 years" because it's no longer Natura Pet. Quality control is obviously not excellent, or they would not be in the middle of a massive recall. How many recalls has P&G had in the last 20 years?

That said, I'm sure as hell not going to be the one to tell BuddyRoo that she shouldn't feed her dog CalNat, because her life was hell due to her dog's issues and this food seems to help. If Natural Balance (or one of the other "questionable" kibbles) works too, more power to her. As much as I wouldn't feed it, sometimes you have to make concessions based on what works for your dogs. And damned if CalNat isn't perhaps the best kibble out there for allergy animals.

Honestly, I think it's just a terrible shame NP was sold to P&G.

A couple more fish based foods, although they are not limited ingredient:

http://www.acana.com/products/regionals/pacifica/

http://www.orijen.ca/products/dog-fo.../six-fish-dog/

I have been exceedingly happy with Orijen and the quality is excellent.

I'm in the same kind of boat since Innova is part of this recall. I'm grateful I don't have the allergies to contend with, but it's kind of tough when you can't get the food you prefer! Although I do have to admit I've watched the quality going downhill, too.

That said, my youngest dog is on Fromm and does VERY well, so I switched my elderly dog to it when Innova went away. He is thriving on it! Which is a comfort (since he IS 13 and fragile, but he gallops like a mad man again, so YAY!). I'm still working on what I like best now for my 17-year-old cat, but the Fromm (who apparently has never had a recall, btw) is good for my dogs.

They do have sweet potato and other allergy-fighting recipes, too. I haven't compared protein values, etc., but since my animals are doing so well I'm not overly concerned about that right now.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Dang BuddyRoo! That recall is not going to make this easy on you. There are several good alternatives listed but make sure to read all the ingredients. The Nutrisca, Nutro canned, and Pinnacle salmon all have egg products in them, meaning more than one protein. Oils and fats are not going to cause problems, although I would still avoid chicken fat. But it's why dogs that can't tolerate fish based foods can still have fish oil supplements with out problems.

Hope you find a good solution!
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Well, I ended up buying a 17lb bag of I/D (for 52 bucks! Yikes) while I waited for more input. Vet A mentioned Natural Balance. Vet B (the one I work for) was of little help and said sure, I/D or Z/D or whatever you want to try. Oh...had he only known me during the bad months!!!! He feeds Purina. No offense Purina lovers, but that is probably never going to happen in my house.

I appreciate the suggestions. I will look into more of these. I was really hoping that I wouldn't need to "officially" switch at all. But time will tell. No issues switching to the I/D so I will try to find something else in the next few days that I can transition to with the I/D on board.

Thanks again!!!

Petsmart sells a limited ingredient salmon and sweet potato food under their brand "simply nourish"- it has salmon and sweet potato, 24% protein, 12% fat.

Keep in mind that your food has herring, barley, oatmeal and sweet potatoes, and is quite low in both fat (11%) and protein (21%); and since you never knew the cause of the problem, you don't know quite what you can change and what you can't.

It's possible the prednisone cured your dog and you can feed anything.

Agreed...I don't know which of the many variables actually ended up helping in the long term, only know that a 10 day course of Pred seemed to seal the deal. And by that time, we'd changed food for a few months, had been doing the Tylan, the probios, etc etc... So who freaking knows, right?

Thanks for the input wendy. I know you'd prefer that I just go the raw route but I seriously do not think I could remain married if I went that direction. It's still something I'm looking into and pondering, I just don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    Petsmart sells a limited ingredient salmon and sweet potato food under their brand "simply nourish"- it has salmon and sweet potato, 24% protein, 12% fat.

Keep in mind that your food has herring, barley, oatmeal and sweet potatoes, and is quite low in both fat (11%) and protein (21%); and since you never knew the cause of the problem, you don't know quite what you can change and what you can't.

It's possible the prednisone cured your dog and you can feed anything.