The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can you add a curb chain to a baucher bit?

I was wondering if I could add hooks to the upper ring (where the headstall cheeks connect) and use it for a curb chain?

This would be an alternative to buying a kimberwicke. Which I'd like to do but can't afford.

Yes, but it won't do any good because a Boucher is not a leverage bit. It stadilizes the bit in the mouth. The chain will only be cosmetic...not going to act like a kimberwick.

Thanks, that makes sense. Guess I'll save up for the kimberwicke.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Yes, but it won't do any good because a Boucher is not a leverage bit. It stadilizes the bit in the mouth. The chain will only be cosmetic...not going to act like a kimberwick.
    What if you run the chain through the bit ring? Seems just like a Kimberwicke to me or maybe I am having a duh moment...

I have one - a happy mouth version. May be made by Jack's Plastic? Perfect answer for horse who can get strong but hates to be ridden with anything less than perfect subtlety. USed it most recently on a Micklem, with the plastic hooks, so couldn't tell you whether it was the curb chain or the slight hackamore effect which made it so perfect, but we had happy horse and rider, so I'm keeping it in the list of possibilities...

It was a lovely price like 26 bucks new, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    What if you run the chain through the bit ring? Seems just like a Kimberwicke to me or maybe I am having a duh moment...
    Kimberwickes have a purchase and a shank, bouchers only have a purchase. Without having the shank as well there is no way to exert leverage. You can convert an elevator into a curb bit by adding a curb chain, but snaffles can only be rigged into a gag/elevator type bit.

You can -- but it would be pointless. There is no way for the bit to rotate to produce leverage.

Kimberwickes don't have a shank action if you use a single rein - it's simply a D with an unbroken mouthpiece and a possible low port.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I had this exact question, but didn't post it!!! I have a lovely Apx. QH gelding who can get a bit strong. The curb chain - just hanging there - is enough to mellow him out!! Technically "useless" it may help!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I dunno... I would think the effect would be similar to that of a plain cheek Kimberwicke (as opposed the slotted cheek Uxeter). Not exactly the same, but similar.

Just give it a shot - if it works, great. If not, save up for the Kimberwicke.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Lots of kimberwickes available used. I bought my favorite one -- with a quarter moon mouth -- for $10 on eBay.

Check the Bits & Barter Board too.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Take a look at this Kimberwicke vs this baucher. The reins placed in the "D" of the Kimberwicke are lower than the mouthpiece, providing leverage. The reins in the baucher at the level of the mouthpiece - so tension on the reins isn't going to rotate the bit and cause curb action.
    Last edited by cleozowner; Apr. 27, 2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: typo
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

OP, I have a kimberwicke somewhere in my bucket o' bits. It may or may not be the slotted kind, but if you want it, it's yours. I bought it for a lesson horse I had a few years ago and will probably never use (or need) it again.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson