The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well, the kitteh isn't here this morning

Last night I gave him food and a litter box in my tack room, but the walls don't go all the way to the actual ceiling. The ceiling is 9' and the walls on two sides go to about 8'. After I closed him in for about 10 minutes, he reappeared outside the tack room, so apparently he is an escape artist who can successfully jump down 8' from the ceiling. I didn't try to lock him in again, because apparently that wasn't going to work. When I came back this morning, kitteh wasn't here to greet me. I haven't seen him yet today.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Well, it IS Spring & the luvvin season with hormones a-raging. He may very likely return soon looking for a cigarette & a brandy.

2 members found this post helpful.

I bet he shows up again as soon as the coast is clear.

1 members found this post helpful.

Maybe...

I'm sad...I was looking forward to having the kitteh around. Although, he used up one of his nine lives on Friday night when he followed me into the horse pasture and while I was feeding my mare, he walked UNDER my gelding in an attempt to rub on the back of my gelding's front legs...I have never seen a horse make an attempt with EVERY foot to stomp a cat into the ground...poor kitty is lucky he isn't dead...it was pure luck that he didn't get stomped because Jet couldn't get his aim down, and when I ran over the kitty ran; otherwise, little kitty was just standing there with not a care in the world, not a clue that he almost just died because the horse hated him! Then, he proceeded to walk over to my mare and do the same thing to her...lucky for him, she doesn't get a thrill over trying to kill cats! Yikes!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

SforH:
    He may return - food is a powerful incentive.
    Locking him in anyplace with walls that do not go all the way up will not work.
    You need to cage him, then prepare for the fact that once neutered, he may adios for a while if not forever.
    If you want a barn cat check your local shelter.
    Ours has a program specifically for rehoming ferals as barn cats.

LOL on your near-death-by-horse story.
    I once found my bitty barnkitten hanging from my TWH's tail.
    One swish and she would have been launched into space, if not brained on something solid.

Hope your stray boy comes back, gets de-nutted & sticks around.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I don't really need a barn cat, my parents have two other cats on the property, but they are fat lazy house cats that have apparently decided that hunting mice is beneath them. They go out for like an hour each day and then are back in sleeping on the couch.

I would feel bad if any kitteh got killed by my horse...I'll hold off on getting a barn cat on purpose. If this guy comes back around, I'll try to get him to stay, but I won't purposefully go get a kitty.

You can band a male cats berries. They do that with cows, sheep, etc.

Hold him down and put a band on those berries. Cheap. You can use a rubber band. Make sure it is tight.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post

Hold him down and put a band on those berries. Cheap. You can use a rubber band. Make sure it is tight.
    I'm not going to go into all of the MANY reasons why one SHOULD NOT DO THIS.

JUST DON'T DO IT!!!!!

6 members found this post helpful.

Whoa, I just happened across my thread again and saw this:

No worries, I would NEVER neuter a cat this way!

I would neuter this way. No worries.

So now he is out spraying and making more babies. No worries.

Whoa. More babies. SO WHAT.

A vet here in our rural area takes the male cat, puts him face down in a boot, and plucks his berry fur, then neuters him, then sends him on his way. No drugs. This is for barn cats. The cat you mention IS A BARN CAT. She does this for $5 with the purchase of a farm call. Or it could be free, I forget. But she does. Whoa. No worries.

Banding works for other farm animals. Whoa.

You were wanting to go the cheap route, this is a cheap route. Whoa.

You want some kittens??? I have a friend who right now has 3 female cats - barn cat type - 2 have litters 6 each, and one is due any day. She can't "afford" to spay them, so what can she do? Let them make more, of course. Whoa. No worries.

You are woefully ignorant. Please don't recommend practices that you know nothing about - your "rural, cat-in-boot, no drugs vet" notwithstanding.

Yes, banding is still used on certain farm animals - sheep & goats in particular - although the method has lost favor in recent times. However, sheep & goats are decidedly NOT dogs & cats, which have different, & more delicate, vascular systems "down there". BIG DIFFERENCE, & one that can mean the difference between a healthy, hygienic, pain-free, quick surgical moment, and/or an agonizingly painful, long & drawn out, quite possibly infectious situation.

"Barn cat" or housecat, I know which situation I'd choose, & it certainly isn't your backwoods "Lil Abner" route.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    You are woefully ignorant.
    Don't you mean "whoafully"?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    Don't you mean "whoafully"?
    You're right. That should have been "whoafully". Lol!

I would neuter this way. No worries.

A vet here in our rural area takes the male cat, puts him face down in a boot, and plucks his berry fur, then neuters him, then sends him on his way. No drugs. This is for barn cats. The cat you mention IS A BARN CAT. She does this for $5 with the purchase of a farm call. Or it could be free, I forget. But she does. Whoa. No worries.

You were wanting to go the cheap route, this is a cheap route. Whoa.

You want some kittens??? I have a friend who right now has 3 female cats - barn cat type - 2 have litters 6 each, and one is due any day. She can't "afford" to spay them, so what can she do? Let them make more, of course. Whoa. No worries.
    Barn cats deserve quality and appropriate veterinary care every bit as much as a house cat does. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would let that vet near one of my animals. Ever. Such a vet has no business practicing, and deserves to have their license revoked.

8 members found this post helpful.

In my county Animal Control would be involved if they found out someone was neutering cats with a rubber band.

6 members found this post helpful.

Um, maybe I read a different thread than you did.
    The OP was willing to pay her vet to neuter this cat. Her vet had quoted her a wonderfully cheap price and was going to do the neuter. The cat left before it could be neutered.

No fault of the OP and the OP not caring if the cat went out and sprayed and made more babies.

The OP was going to do the right thing the right way.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Um, maybe I read a different thread than you did.
    The OP was willing to pay her vet to neuter this cat. Her vet had quoted her a wonderfully cheap price and was going to do the neuter. The cat left before it could be neutered.

No fault of the OP and the OP not caring if the cat went out and sprayed and made more babies.

The OP was going to do the right thing the right way.
    I didn't willingly let the little stud muffin go with his nuts...he didn't stick around long enough for me to get him neutered the CORRECT way by my vet. Had he been there on Saturday morning, the little guy would've woken up from sleepytown without the family jewels.

Furthermore,
    The cat you mention IS A BARN CAT.
    What the hell is your point? That its okay to neuter a barn cat with his head stuck in a boot but if it was a house cat I should take it to the vet for the procedure?

FYI

Home : News : Crime Checker : Anne Arundel Crime :
    Police: Man tries to neuter his dog

SEVERN, Md. - Police say charges are pending against the owner of a golden retriever puppy who they say caused serious injury to the dog when he tried to neuter him at home.

On Friday, April 13 an anonymous caller told police that residents in the 8000-block of Sebring Court were attempting to neuter their dog.

An Animal Control Officer arrived at the home and found 4-month-old "Cola" with a rubber band wrapped around his testicles. The skin around the band was red and irritated, police say.

Cola was seized and taken to the Greater Annapolis Veterinary Hospital. The doctors offered to treat Cola pro-bono. They completed the neuter and treated Cola for an internal infection.

Police say charges are pending against Cola's owners. Cola is now in foster care.

Read more: http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/cri...#ixzz2S95sDUFg

Quote Originally Posted by judmor View Post
    FYI

Home : News : Crime Checker : Anne Arundel Crime :
    Police: Man tries to neuter his dog

SEVERN, Md. - Police say charges are pending against the owner of a golden retriever puppy who they say caused serious injury to the dog when he tried to neuter him at home.

On Friday, April 13 an anonymous caller told police that residents in the 8000-block of Sebring Court were attempting to neuter their dog.

An Animal Control Officer arrived at the home and found 4-month-old "Cola" with a rubber band wrapped around his testicles. The skin around the band was red and irritated, police say.

Cola was seized and taken to the Greater Annapolis Veterinary Hospital. The doctors offered to treat Cola pro-bono. They completed the neuter and treated Cola for an internal infection.

Police say charges are pending against Cola's owners. Cola is now in foster care.

Read more: http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/cri...#ixzz2S95sDUFg
    Good Lord. The "Lil Abners" are everywhere.

Hm, I recall a guy passing himself off as a vet who neutered animals. I thought the legal consensus was he could only be prosecuted for performing surgery on other people's pets, but not his own. And my take is many people do vet stuff on their own horses that would be illegal to do on others, or maybe I'm getting that confused with advising others.