The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default That cat isn't ours!

So, I keep my horses at my folks who are a few towns away. I get there this morning to do chores, walk in the barn, and notice a kitteh sleeping on a pile of stuff that I had set aside to be laundered the other day when I cleaned my tack room out.

I said "Hi Clem!" thinking it was my parents dark tabby cat. Then, I noticed that this cat doesn't have gray under its chin (their cat is older). SURPRISE! Some other kitteh is sleeping in my barn! I walked over to it, and it just stayed snug as a bug in a rug. I petted it and it got up and meowed at me, and it looked like an adolescent kitteh. It followed me into my tack room, meowing the whole time. It's not thin, and at first glance I thought it was female that was in a family way because the tummy looked kind of plump, but lo and behold! HE has equipment back there still! Guess we're not dealing with a preggers female! So, I promptly removed him from my tack room because the last thing I need is kitteh spraying my tack!

I brought him up to the house and knocked on the window. My dad came and looked out and I said "This isn't your cat!" and he looked closer and said "nope, it's not!" I got some dry food from my folks and went back to the barn and set him down and gave him a snack. He ate and then followed me around while I did chores, meowing at me. When I put the horse's grain dishes down, he trotted right up to my mare, and jumped INTO her grain dish while she was eating! She looked at him like "excuse me, but what do you think you're doing?!" and then he jumped out and trotted behind me back to the barn.

He was still there when we left for work (I carpool with them). I am secretly hoping he's still there when we return...I was just saying how I wanted to barn kitteh to keep the mice under control, and he is super friendly. If he sticks around for any length of time, I'll officially adopt him and cut his nuggets off
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

10 members found this post helpful.

Please don't feed him right way. If he's fat and friendly, he may be someone's pet. Put up 'found cat' signs and if he is still there in a week, consider feeding him. But right now, you don't want to encourage him to stay until you know if he's a stray or someone's pet.

2 members found this post helpful.

He's not fat, it looks like a wormy belly, bloated.

Stray with a wormy belly? I'd take him to the vet asap & have his nuggets cut off anyway - regardless of whether or not he belongs to someone. He's obviously not someone's priceless breeding tom.

14 members found this post helpful.

Well, I don't have additional funds laying around to just take him and get him neutered only to have him disappear and never be my barn kitty! LOL! That's why I figure if he sticks around, then I'll take him and get him neutered.

If he is still around tomorrow, when my vet comes to do spring shots for the horses, I'll have him give him a rabies vaccine.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh no, I agree. I just meant that I wouldn't wait around waiting for someone to "claim" him while, in the meantime, he's out making more kittehs - lol.

I'd get him neutered regardless -- first thing I'd do. It's cheap enough and I'd just be doing a good deed -- heck, your horse vet can probably do it at the barn. I'd also start feeding him and hope he stays.

Anyone who owns an unneutered male cat doesn't deserve to have him back -- and if they do come looking, I'd ask them to pay me back for neutering him
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Well, I don't have additional funds laying around to just take him and get him neutered only to have him disappear and never be my barn kitty! LOL! That's why I figure if he sticks around, then I'll take him and get him neutered.

If he is still around tomorrow, when my vet comes to do spring shots for the horses, I'll have him give him a rabies vaccine.
    I think getting him neutered, even if he does not stick around, would be the responsible thing to do.

If you are short on funds, maybe contact some cat rescues and see if they can direct you to a neuter clinic, affordable vet, etc.

Hope he sticks around, though, if he's that friendly and sweet
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Another option for that all important neuter is some of the feral cat TNR programs also do barn cats (that are not feral).

Before I would worm, neuter, etc a cat I would ensure he is healthy enough not to die from it. Op is feeding him (good move) - that is step#1. Rabiies and later neutering is a good idea also - but to do so before his body can handle the trauma is not smart.

OP - sounds like you know what to do.
    Sandy in Fla.

I'm pretty sure between the OP & her vet she has everything well in hand.

Um... you know what to do for this cat. But! All of us might need a review about the nature of cat ownership.

The thing is, we are their scenery, their available resources. So when a cat comes to you for help (extra balls, food, love), you have to give it. If he comes to you several times, he becomes your cat. Now a cat can have several people he considers his owners.

Just roll with it. If you can get him neutered cheaply, do it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina_32926 View Post
    Before I would worm, neuter, etc a cat I would ensure he is healthy enough not to die from it. Op is feeding him (good move) - that is step#1. Rabiies and later neutering is a good idea also - but to do so before his body can handle the trauma is not smart.

OP - sounds like you know what to do.
    He isn't skinny, his coat is shiny, he has clear eyes, very active, just looks like he may have a little worm load (if cats get a wormy belly like horses do!)

I'd say he's perfectly healthy enough for a rabies vaccination and a neutering. The vet will only charge me $5.00 for the rabies vaccination tomorrow, so I'll start there if he's still around & go from there.

I am hoping he sticks around...he was a friendly fella and I needed a barn cat!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Schune View Post
    I think getting him neutered, even if he does not stick around, would be the responsible thing to do.
    Its possible that if he is still there tonight and tomorrow morning, I'll see if my horse vet will dispose of this little kitteh's manhood tomorrow morning while he's there. Then, I'll contain him in my tack room (all things valuable above reach for kitteh to spray if he feels so inclined) and keep him there for a few recovery days. Then, if he disappears eventually, my good deed is done anyhow.

LOL, I just texted my vet and said "I have a barn cat I may need altered tomorrow. Can you do it?" and he responded "yes, if its a male" and I said "yes, how much?"

His response: $23.95

What an odd figure! LOL!

So, if the little studmuffin is around tomorrow when the vet comes, I'm going to have him neutered.

14 members found this post helpful.

Good for you. I hope he repays you by working hard.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    Anyone who owns an unneutered male cat doesn't deserve to have him back -- and if they do come looking, I'd ask them to pay me back for neutering him
    DITTO THIS!

I am currently feeding a handsome male stray that decided he lives in my barn last July. He's fairly regular - showing up for meals not every day but at least several times a week.
    I can pet him and my little (spayed) female barncat hasn't hissed him off the place - her usual approach to strays in "her" barn - in fact they have touched noses< not thrilled with this since I don't know what,if anythring he's been vaccinated for, but so far so good.

If he'd let me cage him he'd have his "equipment" off ASAP!
    We are working up to that -I can pick him up and he gets very squirmy - no claws, no biting but definite PutMeDownNOW!
    I don't care if he has a 2nd home, I agree with Bacchus 1000% - if he eats in my barn he lives by my Rules and those Rules include: No Kitten-Makers! For any feline resident. Period.

ETA:
    OP - soundsl ike you have things well in hand.
    Soooooo:
    Name for the new guy?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

The kitteh is still here!

He's getting locked up tonight so my vet can take his nuts tomorrow! Haha!

I'm thinking of calling him Milo...is that too unoriginal for a tabby? Haha! Pics on Monday!

Okay, so I locked him in my tack room (which has walls that don't quite go to the ceiling) and within minutes he was out...

So, he is either gunna be here tomorrow or not...ill let ya know tomorrow!

SuckerforHorses, and Apparently Cats,
    Are you going to test him for Felv/Fiv too?
    That would be a good thing.
    What will you do if he's positive for either?