The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What does it take to qualify for Rolex

My husband asked me what it takes to qualify and I honestly didn't know. By looking at some of the results for "rider" there are people that have never been in the top 10 at anything and still are at Rolex.

So, what does it take?
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

A CCI*** with no XC jumping faults, I believe. Don't have to be "ranked". There are a lot of people who dream of just completing Rolex (or one of the other 4 stars).
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

If I am reading the rules correctly, for most riders, 3 Qualifying Results (as a pair) at "three stars" of which at least one must be a CCI***, and the other 2 can be either CIC*** or CCI***, and one of them can have 20 points on cross country, but the rest mst be clear (with thresholds also for the dressage score and the show jumping score).

Placing doesn't count, only the scores on the phases.

And if you are a foreign national, you also need the permission of your "home" NF.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I meant to put his in the Rolex competition thread. . . sorry I don't know how to move it.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Default Qualifying for Rolex

Janet is correct, the dressage score must be under 75 and no more than 4 rails in the Qualifying competitions. For 4*'s that are over subscribed results do matter, which is why Badminton has a waitlist. A good bunch of the riders in today's field would have no hope of qualifying for Badminton.
    Most years at Rolex, dressage scores in the sixties would not see you finish in the top 20, even with double clear xc and clear sj rounds.

And then of course for husband's benefit, there are similar qualifications to be able to run those CIC*** or CCI***. And so on.

Some of the riders at Rolex may not have top placings at recent 3 or 4 * competitions, but even those riders probably regularly sweep up high placings at 2* and below.

Just to qualify to run Rolex makes you an elite rider.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Yeah I have been trying to figure it out, because my husband asked what I had to do to qualify my mare *snort*

Done 1 Intermediate, so looks like I'd have to do another Intermediate, Then either a CCI* and a CIC 2* or two CIC2* to qualify for a CCI2*, do that then an Advanced and a CIC3*, to qualify for a CCI3*, do that and another 2 3* events (CCI or CIC) to qualify for Rolex. Presuming all went perfectly.

Caveat in the USEA rule book: candidate must have met all FEI MER requirements, which I take to mean "we have no idea either, good luck".

Jennifer