The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I scared my dog on a trail ride today...

I went out to the barn today to enjoy the trails with my two buddies(my TB mare and my mini aussie). I saddled up and off we went down to the woods. Got a little ways into the woods and I could here some rustling in the leaves. Since it was about 5pm, I figured it was deer. I followed the sound and indeed I could see a deer. I kept my mare walking and all of a sudden about 5 deer went bounding thru the woods. My dog had stopped a little ways in front of me. I continued walking and after a couple of minutes, I realized my dog was no where to be seen. I called her several times and still not around. I turned around and started walking up the trail and I found her standing at the edge of the woods, looking towards where the deer had been. I had to call her a few times before she would follow me back down the trail. I guess she decided she didn't like those big creatures, which is very funny because if I'm not careful she will try to "herd" the horses.

Close Encounter! My girl thought deer were Aliens. Always had very active dreams after seeing them.

Our norwegian elkhound was about 6 months old when we were moving some cattle with our aussie and she came along.
    She was doing fine, was showing to be as good a herding dog then as the aussie.
    Once the cattle were settled, we started back toward's home thru the brush and out of nowhere, this one doe jumped the norwegian elkhound, rolled her around and sliced her back from shoulder to shoulder with her hooves.
    It took 40 stitches to close that cut.

Be very careful, does don't play games, they mean it, keep dogs close and safe when deer are around.

Glad that yours was a nice encounter and didn't end up with an emergency vet visit on a Saturday afternoon.

I have no experience with deer and dogs, but Bluey I have to say - I had a Norwegian Elkhound and I've never known anyone else who has as well! She was a great dog - barked a little too much for anyone's liking but that is part of the breed's characteristics as I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie22 View Post
    I have no experience with deer and dogs, but Bluey I have to say - I had a Norwegian Elkhound and I've never known anyone else who has as well! She was a great dog - barked a little too much for anyone's liking but that is part of the breed's characteristics as I understand it.
    Ours didn't bark, was a wonderful herding dog, border collie style, with lots of eye and power.
    When our vet saw us come in with a norwegian elkhound puppy, he said: "Don't tell me you too bought one of those pain in the behind dogs!"

She kept getting into porcupines, that she never was too smart about.
    Several times a year we had to take a bunch of quills out of her mouth.

She was also my first obedience dog and it was terrible, they are not the nicest breed to train for obedience the old way, by handling them, without treats to guide and motivate them.

Teaching the stand, after she was so quick and good to learn the sit and down, I reached under when I stopped heeling, to keep her from sitting and she turned and bit my hand, offended.

When we weaned calves and kept replacement heifers, she would guard the gate when we went to feed and not one calf would get past her, no matter how much they tried.

I am surprised yours barked, as ours just never did.
    Then cattle working dogs generally don't bark, are too busy working.

OP, any pictures of your mini aussie to share, please?

Bluey here are a couple of pics of my mini aussie...
    Embarassed in her fairy costume for Halloween http://www.flickr.com/photos/simbalism/8137889858/
    Herding lesson http://www.flickr.com/photos/simbalism/7063787297/
    Baby pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/simbalism/8287697268/

Default Mine chases the deer

This is funny, my mini poodle will chase deer whenever we come upon them while trail riding. He thinks he is a deerhound.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbalism View Post
    Bluey here are a couple of pics of my mini aussie...
    Embarassed in her fairy costume for Halloween http://www.flickr.com/photos/simbalism/8137889858/
    Herding lesson http://www.flickr.com/photos/simbalism/7063787297/
    Baby pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/simbalism/8287697268/
    Beautiful, typey aussie she is.
    In the picture with the costume, she looks a bit embarrassed.