The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

So very sorry for your loss. RIP Stella and foal.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Oh no, what a horrible way for anyone to experience. I am sending my deepest condolences to you for your losses.

So sorry Every breeders worst nightmare.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Godspeed Stella and little one. So very sorry for your friend's loss. *hugs*

I'm so sorry! Foaling season can be so joyful and also so heartbreaking! Your situation sounds like a nightmare! Best of luck for an uneventful remainder of the season....

I think it is good for people to post here. Always best to share your sorrow. I can't imagine how you and your friend feel right now. This is so painful. I am sorry that the mare suffered but thank goodness for the ability to limit the time she had to suffer. I hope we can help you just by sharing in the emotional burden with you.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    I am so sorry for everyone and everything. Combined with the excitement and anticipation of every foal is the always present dread of "What If" this is a bad foaling? And we breathe that big sigh of relief when both Baby and Mom are fine but we all know, just around the corner with the next mare, we may have to face something similar and it does fill you with that quiet sense of dread until all of the mares have safely foaled.

{{{HUGS}}} to everyone involved and Godspeed to the wonderful mare and her baby
    Ditto.

I have never lost a mare due to a foaling complication, and I'm hoping that I can somehow manage to make it through to the end without this ever happening.

I did lose a foal due to a dystocia -- the foal was breech and died only minutes after we got her out. I felt that if the vet had only gotten here sooner, we could have saved the foal, but since I've been on this board, I have yet to hear of a breech birth that resulted in a live foal. Apparently I was lucky I didn't lose the mare...

My heart goes out to your friend...as TC says, this whole breeding experience has tragedy and loss lurking around every corner, just waiting to spring.

JoZ is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Reading this thread has been very comforting and therapeutic. I hope it hasn't ruined foal watch for those experiencing it this year. I do think people should be aware -- I have never taken breeding lightly, nor do I think that it should be avoided or clouded with dread, but a middle ground where the risks are known and respected is appropriate.

Stella was buried this morning. The pregnant mares are sun-bathing and grooming each other. Their fat tummies are full of hope. Ok, some of it is "I hope I never have an experience like this week's ever again". But there's also the good anticipating kind of hope in there!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I am so sorry for your loss, JoZ. I can't even imagine going through that, though I know it is a possibility. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers