The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Horrible presentation -- RIP Stella and foal

My friend/barn partner just experienced a breeder's nightmare. She lost her beautiful mare Stella and unborn, actually partially born, foal tonight.

It was a horrible presentation. Neck and head pointed straight at the mare's head, with a front and hind leg in the birth canal. It was impossible to reach the head or neck. Mare crumpled to the ground from fatigue and blood loss while an embryectomy (sp?wd?) was being attempted, and the decision was made to euthanize. Not sure if she hemorrhaged or if all the blood was from the foal, but it wasn't working and the mare had suffered enough. It seemed terribly painful even though she had heavy sedation, pain meds and an epidural.

Not sure why I'm writing other than I was present for the vet work and the horror is fresh and overwhelming. This was my first bad foaling and right now I don't want to breed another mare. We each have another mare due this year and I'm going to have to struggle to get enthused. Please jingle that our luck will return -- I've lost a mare to colic and a beloved barn cat to some sort of internal failure, both this winter. And please jingle for my friend who is devastated. This would have been her stallion's first foal, and the mare was a dear, beautiful and sweet.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

So sorry for the tragic loss. Knowing you can help your friend through this will help you too. Sending jingles and best wishes.

I'm so sorry for all your losses. It's absolutely heartbreaking to lose beloved animals.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

so sorry. so heartbreaking. so terrifying. ( it is so hard reading this as my mare is due in a month - this will be our first foal )

hugs to you and your friend.

Very sorry to hear of your friend's tremendous loss. Losing a mare or a foal is tragic enough but both from a traumatic birth leaves me speechless. Jingling hard for both of you in this difficult and emotional time.

just came in from foal watch-hard to read something like this.

So sorry for your friend .

Oh, honey.. A birth gone wrong, of humans or horses, (both) have been the most traumatic events that I have witnessed,and are very difficult to "get over".

It may help for you to remember, that childbirth has been deadly for many species for eons, it is never easy or pretty , not in my experience.

I am so sorry. Nature doesn't take our finer feelings into consideration does she?
    Last edited by skydy; Apr. 26, 2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: To correct horrible sentence structure etc..

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm so very sorry. May that sweet mare and her foal graze in the greenest pasture together.

Very sorry for your loss

I am so sorry to hear of her loss.

I am so sorry for everyone and everything. Combined with the excitement and anticipation of every foal is the always present dread of "What If" this is a bad foaling? And we breathe that big sigh of relief when both Baby and Mom are fine but we all know, just around the corner with the next mare, we may have to face something similar and it does fill you with that quiet sense of dread until all of the mares have safely foaled.

{{{HUGS}}} to everyone involved and Godspeed to the wonderful mare and her baby

3 members found this post helpful.

I am so sad and sorry for you and your friend, and her beautiful mare and foal.
    I don't have any words of wisdom, only hope, and the belief that we can only do the best we can, and that sometimes despite our best efforts, things are out of our hands.
    Sending you both kind thoughts and the hope that you heal from the sadness of this terrible and heartbreaking loss.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

3 members found this post helpful.

I am so sorry for both you and your friend. Jingles that your hearts heal and all goes well with your mares yet to foal.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I'm so very sorry for your, both of you, loss. And I feel your worry for the future. Sending prayers, jingles and hugs for easy foalings and healthy babies.
    Ride like you mean it.

Sending everyone affected healing thoughts. Rest in peace sweet mama and baby.
    Nani Lio Farm, LLC
    www.naniliofarm.com

so very very sorry. I decided not to breed my mare again,despite having 2 lovely fillies from her,in large part because we were very lucky with the 2nd foaling to have an experienced person present and the mare was willing and able to just wait and not push until the foal was re-positioned. I realized at the time that we were just lucky,and that despite our best efforts horses foal very quickly and it can easily go horribly wrong even with expert care. There are things we just can't fix. I am so very sorry for you and your friend's loss. Remember that most foaling goes very well.

I am so sorry to hear My condolences
    www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

I am so sorry for you, your friend and all involved. I have been through a very similar presentation and loss and can say it still haunts me six years later. I used to really enjoy foaling and now I do have an element of dread and fear with each delivery. Knock on wood all foalings have been textbook since then. A wise breeder friend told me not to take a year off and keep breeding...and she was right. What I learned from the expereince is when it goes wrong...it goes wrong super fast and can't always be fixed in the barn. I now keep a hitched up trailer ready to go right outside the barn and will head to the vet clinic at the first show of trouble. Sometimes things can be surgicaly fixed if found on time.

So sorry....
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm so very sorry to hear about Stella and foal. It must be an incredibly hard thing to swallow, and I can only imagine how you must feel.
    Lorelei Welsh Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
    Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for the hunters, dressage, in-hand, and more!