The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

That's just fat deposits in and around the udder. You said she's producing milk? Those teats sure look dry to me. OP, I suggest you exit The Twilight Zone ASAP. This whole story/situation seems odd to me. Owner's been breeding for a while and doesn't know about preg checks and vaccinating during gestation? I probably wouldn't call the vet to determine pregnancy either. The mare clearly isn't. And if she had anything retained, she'd be pretty darn sick, if not upside down, by now. Now, it sounds like a vet might be able to help with nutritional guidelines and such, but no emergency here that I can see (from quite a distance and through a computer screen).
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

That horse is way way way way too fat - on tiny feet to boot. Just asking for founder or some other malaise.

Needs an exercise program and a serious diet.

FYI - most on COTH that breed, are serious breeders, and make sure a vet is involved throughout the pregnancy to help prevent / catch issues. This includes pregnancy checks, ultra sounds etc.

Just breedn' and feedn' them does not get much respect.

2 members found this post helpful.

If she was my horse I would've had the vet check her sooner plus check her for insulin resistance. Supposedly she's broke to ride, I've never seen anyone ride anyone but the one that came back from the trainer last year and that was only twice. The lady I work for isn't on COTH as far as I know, and last year was the first time in at least 4years she's bred any of her mares. She doesn't do much in the barn unless something needs fixed or coming out to put the one foal and mare out. Aside from that she's rarely doing anything due to health problems.

This is the first job with horses I've gotten since graduating college in 2006. I started working here last year, so I'm rusty in some areas of care but I try my best or do my research before doing anything. I'm still learning on care but it doesn't help when I get yelled at for doing what's best for the horse.

I probably have an hour or so of free time a day that I can work with her 5 days a week. The grain she gets is the Wellsolve L/S and I only feed her 2 cups morning and night (measuring cup from my own kitchen). I promised my husband when I started I would never ride alone. Too many risks and majority of the time there's no one but me outside. I don't know how much the girl on the weekend feeds. I already know she doesn't listen to what I recommend unless the vet says so...

Suggestions on an exercise regimen would help me out, as I have no clue where to start. I can't cut out grain completely, so minimally 1 cup of the Wellsolve at night is what I could possibly get away with. She gets about 2 flakes of hay at night and turned out in the pasture during the day, no can do on the grazing muzzle. I asked about that before and was told NO.

Too many cooks spoil the soup! There's you, the owner, the evening guy, the weekend girl and you all have different ideas of what's right and you all feed whatever you feel like feeding? I don't even know what else to say.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by onna View Post
    If she was my horse I would've had the vet check her sooner plus check her for insulin resistance. Supposedly she's broke to ride, I've never seen anyone ride anyone but the one that came back from the trainer last year and that was only twice. The lady I work for isn't on COTH as far as I know, and last year was the first time in at least 4years she's bred any of her mares. She doesn't do much in the barn unless something needs fixed or coming out to put the one foal and mare out. Aside from that she's rarely doing anything due to health problems.

This is the first job with horses I've gotten since graduating college in 2006. I started working here last year, so I'm rusty in some areas of care but I try my best or do my research before doing anything. I'm still learning on care but it doesn't help when I get yelled at for doing what's best for the horse.

I probably have an hour or so of free time a day that I can work with her 5 days a week. The grain she gets is the Wellsolve L/S and I only feed her 2 cups morning and night (measuring cup from my own kitchen). I promised my husband when I started I would never ride alone. Too many risks and majority of the time there's no one but me outside. I don't know how much the girl on the weekend feeds. I already know she doesn't listen to what I recommend unless the vet says so...

Suggestions on an exercise regimen would help me out, as I have no clue where to start. I can't cut out grain completely, so minimally 1 cup of the Wellsolve at night is what I could possibly get away with. She gets about 2 flakes of hay at night and turned out in the pasture during the day, no can do on the grazing muzzle. I asked about that before and was told NO.
    All I can say is run far far away!

If you truly want to get better at riding and caring for horses, this is the last barn you should be working at!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilypad View Post
    All I can say is run far far away!

If you truly want to get better at riding and caring for horses, this is the last barn you should be working at!!!
    Ditto.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

There's not many barns out here hiring as is. I called at least 10 within a 20-30 minutes driving distance with no luck. People can't afford more help or don't need any new help. I'm horrible working in retail and I doubt many will want to hire me when I have a limited time frame I can work in or bring the kid with me.

Now is a good time to change this mares diet one way or another. Yes she's fat and the owner and the couple have their own ideas. The owner has the say so and did say if she's not pregnant she's going on a diet. I just need to figure out the diet and tell the lady that works weekends. As she has no clue about horse care at all. Only reason she's there is her husband was hired on as the same position I'm in about 2yrs before I started, had a stroke and now can only manage to drag his butt off the couch to put them in. They do this in exchange for paying rent. He hasn't messed with feed amounts in years, yet argues with me over how much grain the donkey should have. I've seen him say he'll fix something and 2 months later my husband comes out by owners request to help with shavings and fixes it in 15 mins. The wife I had to remind to add shavings to the stud and donkeys stall for a month. They had both agreed to keep them topped up on shavings while my husband and I took care of the other 8 stalls that needed shavings. I've came in on a Monday to find the aisle unswept, hoses laying in the walkways and found all the buckets needing emptied and scrubbed after doing it Friday. They drive me freaking nuts cause I can tell neither of them care for me, after the whole calling me fat and starving the horse of grain she clearly does not need. The wife has called me on my day off at a birthday party to beg me to come out and put horses up because her sister had a mini-meltdown and she has to go to Memphis cause her husband can't do it alone. I said yes and would cost her $10 to cover the cost of gas for me to get out there. Now 6 months later she's never said a word about it even after I brought it up.

Ok no more ranting. x.x

Why do YOU have to figure out the diet, especially if nobody pays any attention to orders and does as they please?

the whole thing sounds like a reality TV show. I'd drive farther for a better job. This place is not going to make a horseman out of anyone.
    Click here before you buy.

6 members found this post helpful.

At this point, I would hope the mare is just fat.

Let's see, no prenatal care, no twin check, no plan to possibly be on foal watch? I take it the owner really doesn't care at all about the mare? And has never been present when a mare tries to deliver twins or has complications? Poor girl.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

When I tried to open the photos I got "malicious website blocked" which is something my virus protection has never done before so warning to others- proceed with caution.

Quote Originally Posted by onna View Post

Suggestions on an exercise regimen would help me out, as I have no clue where to start. I can't cut out grain completely, so minimally 1 cup of the Wellsolve at night is what I could possibly get away with. She gets about 2 flakes of hay at night and turned out in the pasture during the day, no can do on the grazing muzzle.
    You don't need to ride to exercise this mare, if there's a round pen or arena work her there, lunge, drive, hand walk will all help.

Bring her in off the pasture to reduce her intake if you can't convince the owner re the grazing muzzle. Cut her grain to just a handful - if her food is limited 5 days a week, that will have more influence than the 2 weekend days.
    Talk to the vet & see if vet will write up a feed recommendation, then post it on the mare's stall & in the feed room.
    If you're responsible for ordering hay & feed, then bring in hay/feed that is lower NSC, calorie dense etc.

Let the owner worry about what the weekend staff is doing/not doing, just report your findings & the repairs you & your DH do & leave it at that.
    Until you own the land & the horses, husbandry will always be a compromise, get over the ground as lightly as you can

Based on the pictures she is fat (sorry trying to not be mean) and is eating alot of clover since she has some big ummm, hooters. Or maybe too much soy she is eating.

She doesn't look like she has a foal in her based on the last 2 pictures. The very first picture she has a crest, which is due to fat.

I have a fat one here, so I do have some experience in the big girl department. Mine has some big hooters too. I have her on a diet at all times. She never eats grain, no soy. And I do not have much clover in the limited small pasture she is on. She doesn't swell up as big as your last photo. Can squirt clear stuff out of my mares teats. I do ride her quite a bit.

But if she was bred then, there WOULD be a foal by now. Wouldn't you think so? Have a vet do a check. Then you will know 110% if she is to foal or not.

Well in my opinion she is not fat she is obsese........I would be getting her on a diet asap....I would guess she is about a "9"...she has fat deposits at the tail head, behind the shoulder and her neck looks thick.

Dalemma

I would get the vet out to be sure. I had a mare pregnant I kept thinking did not look pregnant so I would not guess on the matter but if bred one year ago I would think likely just fat.

You could set up baggies with grain for each feeding and leave those, not the entire bag of grain, for the girl who feeds on the weekends. That way the mare will get the same amount of grain each day.

Just fat as a pig.
    Looks like my mare did before I got her slimmed down.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

She is to uniformly fat to be past her due date ( or even bred). If she were close to full term you would see her sides sticking way out, looking at her from the back views.

You are going to have a very hard time slimming this mare down as long as she has access to pasture of any kind. If you start exercise just do it slowly.

Well starting this weekend she's been put on a diet. The other 2 both agreed that 1/2cup of the low carb grain morning and night and 2 flakes of hay. I can get away with just doing hers at night but I know the chick won't. I was working her on a lounge line up until November it just started to get too cold and wet for me to stand. The main pasture does have clover in it but she was in a smaller one for over a month almost two. Since I started here, I only know of one time the owner has came out to feed and clean stalls.

I'll start working her twice a week and work up from there. I haven't tried to ride anyone, mostly cause the round pen is crappy, on a hill and the panels won't stay upright. Last time I tried to weigh this mare the 1400lb weight tape wouldn't fit around her belly, owner said that there was no way she weighed that much. Only plus side as of this week I can actually feel ribs for the first time.

LESS HAY. If she's on grass all day cut her down to one flake at night, especially if it's rich hay. If it's crappy hay she can have more. The fat arabians at my barn get a tiny flake of hay at night, it really isn't going to kill her.

The other person who will not feed her right, who are they in the scheme of things?

Had a mare bred in July 2011 vet confirmed not bred said she had a very ripe follicle. Figured vet was right as mare came into heat every month like clock work no personality changes.. Fast forward to may2012 mare comes out of winter fat every year so didnt think much of start to really work her, but back grain. Took her on a long ride, next day notice she has a bit of a milk vain look at her more closely and that hay belly is no longer looking a hay belly more like a baby belly. Have vet out and hat do you know mare is prego. 6 weeks later I had a huge filly.

In the mean time I signed a breeding lease for a friends mare and paid the stud fee as I wasn't going to try my mare again after 3 years of trying. Now I have an almost yearling and a mare that is going to foal in the hopefully next 60 days

So get a vet check even if you have to have another vet out.