The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ocala Courses in January

A friend and I are considering taking our horses to Ocala in January, at Prelim and Intermediate and just wondering what the courses are like? Good early in the season courses?

Both horses have experince at the levels. They have had a light fall season/vacation (took their winter vacations early) and are back to work so should be well able to event that early in the season, just not sure if the courses are inviting enough that they can go right out at their level or if they should each drop down a level for an early run. Thanks!

They will have some good questions at both levels. If you are from Ga. (athens) then I am sure you do Chatthills? I don't think the HP courses are as hard as Chatthills, mostly because there is no real terrain at the HP compared to Chatthills. There are some new fences built in some new areas that will step up what the courses were like last year but if your horses have exp. at the level it should not be to much.

It is quite flat and inviting. I've been around the preliminary in the past and walked the January prelim this year. There are a couple spots where it is possible to get a bit confused about the approach, but in general, it is an inviting course. There are some pretty big tables. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squire08.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	38994
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Would love some additional input as I haven't started my eventing season before February, so am not familiar with Ocala January tracks. Thanks scubed and nextyear!

Bump!

Ocala has a nice course for both levels, IMO. Watch out for the tables, as they seem to cause their fair share of problems. There was a skinny coming out of the water 2 years ago with brush but everyone did surprisingly well over it. It strikes me as a fair course but not over-the-top challenging.
    You're trying to do something normal people wouldn't do because they're terrified they might fail. -Boyd Martin