The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I think without knowing the woman and her whole story, I am not going to make assumptions or judge her.

Edited to add: I did watch the video and saw one skinny mare, hip bones and all and have to agree that is not acceptable. even if you did not know they were preggo, that condition should have been noted and addressed. Geesh.

Has anyone heard anything about where the horses came from? Did she breed them or collect them...

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about where the horses came from? Did she breed them or collect them...
    Here is another article with more information:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/23...ates-five.html

It doesn't say anything about her 20 horses, but it does mention she supplies lead ponies to racetracks which is why she is away from home so often.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

I am acquainted with the lady in the article slightly, though I haven't talked to her in a few years. As someone stated, there was a newspaper article a few days ago that brought up a few points that this one didn't.

Here's what I do know, for starters, Marilyn is not often on her farm. She owns the pony horses for both Keeneland and Turfway last I knew, and maybe has more tracks now. Her daughter used to run the business at Turfway, but there I heard her daughter was running around and was pregnant a few years back so maybe she quit and Marilyn had to take over running it at Turfway, I know she took care of the Keeneland aspect of the biz and you could find her there everyday.

Owning lots of pony horses means lots of horses coming and going from the farm for breaks between meets, injuries, etc. She had quite a few horses on the farm anytime I went, both pony horses and her TBs. Every one I saw at that point was in good shape.

I imagine that if she was relying on someone else to care for her horses while she is away for months on end, you would assume that person was counting heads everyday and paying close attention to the counts with horses coming and going, but this *is* Kentucky and you'd probably assume wrong *sigh* A lot of people doing farm work around here JUST DON'T CARE and I've met far too many who don't have anything above a 6th grade education and even less common sense.

Marilyn seemed like a decent person anytime I dealt with her and I don't believe she's doing this for any sort of handouts. She seemed to be pretty well set with her pony horse business and was always pleasant to me. If she is trying to track down this stallions origins, it would probably be for business reasons- papered horses sell better than grade horses in any economy.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Farrier?
    Depends on the ground. Not all states are soft grassland that yield to a horses feet.
    Who trims a mustangs tootsies?
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

And yeah, random horses showing up on farms in your fields or in your trailers if you go to a low dollar sale does happen way too often around here!

1 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't fault her for not noticing the extra horse as a semi absentee owner and not even for not noticing the preggo mares. I could see that if you have horses in a transient herd, you might think some of them are easy keepers. But one of those mares was awfully skinny and that should have been noticed even by an uneducated horse keeper.

Just to put this to bed, I know this woman, she does keep her horses fairly rustically as do a lot of horse people who own large herds; but they all receive proper vet, farrier and nutritional care. We share a vet, so I know none of them are in crappy condition as many of you have accused.
    After she found the stud she had him gelded and moved to a trainers place that she knows and he is now being trained to be a track pony. She did do DNA testing to try and find out who this horse is and worked with the state police and anyone else she could to find out who this horse belonged to.
    As for the skinny horses, she will, on occasion take on rescue horses. I know this for a fact because this wonderful woman is who I got my amazing OTTB from when some dirt bag had left him in a barn to die, she rescued him and found him a home with me. If there are any skinny horses out there it is NOT from neglect.

Like spookhorse said she runs a track pony business and is often gone from her property and takes care of Keenland, Churchill, sometimes Turfway and Ellis Park. She has a man who lives on the property that takes great care of this herd.

If the owner of the stud had just asked her if she wanted a stud she probably would have said sure and went ahead and cut him, however, those babies are extremely impressive and will make amazing steeplechasers, eventers and show jumpers. As displeased with her vet bills and feed bills as she is, she knows she's got some amazing foals.

She's not looking for handouts, and she's not trying to blame anyone. She's called the original owner a jackass, done what needs to be done and is making preparations for new babies. And actively looking to give them new homes with owners who will appreciate their size and conformation.

10 members found this post helpful.

Somebody mentioned similar looking horses, and it made me think of my sheep. My husband & I have spent way too much time counting and recounting sheep But, we do have livestock guardian dogs, and they will let us know if something is awry. A new horse would definitely be noticed. We have 2, and I feed them twice a day. However, I have to admit that somebody probably could sneak in a grown sheep - especially a wether; and it would get sheared and vetted. The shearer and vet always ask me at the end how many we did; so no help there. And, while I am watching the animals throughout the day - all day long - I am looking for any signs of illness or injury; not extras. We have 18 sheep... I think
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyCharlie View Post
    Just to put this to bed, I know this woman, she does keep her horses fairly rustically as do a lot of horse people who own large herds; but they all receive proper vet, farrier and nutritional care. We share a vet, so I know none of them are in crappy condition as many of you have accused.
    After she found the stud she had him gelded and moved to a trainers place that she knows and he is now being trained to be a track pony. She did do DNA testing to try and find out who this horse is and worked with the state police and anyone else she could to find out who this horse belonged to.
    As for the skinny horses, she will, on occasion take on rescue horses. I know this for a fact because this wonderful woman is who I got my amazing OTTB from when some dirt bag had left him in a barn to die, she rescued him and found him a home with me. If there are any skinny horses out there it is NOT from neglect.

Like spookhorse said she runs a track pony business and is often gone from her property and takes care of Keenland, Churchill, sometimes Turfway and Ellis Park. She has a man who lives on the property that takes great care of this herd.

If the owner of the stud had just asked her if she wanted a stud she probably would have said sure and went ahead and cut him, however, those babies are extremely impressive and will make amazing steeplechasers, eventers and show jumpers. As displeased with her vet bills and feed bills as she is, she knows she's got some amazing foals.

She's not looking for handouts, and she's not trying to blame anyone. She's called the original owner a jackass, done what needs to be done and is making preparations for new babies. And actively looking to give them new homes with owners who will appreciate their size and conformation.
    Thanks for posting. I'm glad that it isn't as bad as it seems - I've personally learned a lot from this story and thread. While the questions were fair, the accusations were probably not. Good for her for taking the steps that she has after having a horse, and several foals, dumped on her.

nevermind