The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    My horses haven't seen a vet in 11 months either. They got spring shots last spring, and we've had no emergencies since, so, its been about a year since they've seen the vet. Should I be calling my vet out to see my horses regularly for no reason, just so I can say they haven't gone 11 months without seeing the vet?
    Farrier?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Farrier?
    Every 5 weeks...

But if a farrier is trimming 20-something horses, do you think they are going to notice 1 new horse and comment on it? They have multiple clients with multiple horses, the farrier may not even have noticed they did 21 horses that day, or nothing was out of the ordinary for them to bring it to the owners attention. The farrier probably figured the owner got another horse.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

2 members found this post helpful.

Every 5 weeks...

But if a farrier is trimming 20-something horses, do you think they are going to notice 1 new horse and comment on it? They have multiple clients with multiple horses, the farrier may not even have noticed they did 21 horses that day, or nothing was out of the ordinary for them to bring it to the owners attention. The farrier probably figured the owner got another horse.
    No, but the person bringing the horses in for the farrier should notice.

1 members found this post helpful.

Every 5 weeks...

Exactly. A farrier doing a herd of twenty is probably not going to comment much on there being 21 (assuming that the colt DID come in--there is the part it being a big field with copses of trees, and he may have decided to head the other way when it was time to go in where the people are.) The farrier's got enough on his plate trying to get a herd of horses done. And not all of them are Chatty Cathys who do a running commentary on their clients' horses.

As for "she should geld him to make adoption easier"--why? She's already going way above and beyond by finding him a foster herself. She could have just handed him off to AC and let them deal with a large animal and let them figure out what to do (probably euthanize or sell at auction.)

But then that doesn't make it the owner's fault...everyone is quick to blame the owner, but she hired someone to care for the horses.

But then that doesn't make it the owner's fault...everyone is quick to blame the owner, but she hired someone to care for the horses.
    Yes, she hired her staff.
    Her staff is at fault and so is she for not having responsible enough staff.

I think most people would feel totally different here if the stallion had been there for a month and it was noticed and now what are we going to do.

But here we have an owner who is complaining about how much these extra horses are going to cost her when there was a horse with her herd for minimally 11 months that she claims to not have known was there.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Exactly. A farrier doing a herd of twenty is probably not going to comment much on there being 21 (assuming that the colt DID come in--there is the part it being a big field with copses of trees, and he may have decided to head the other way when it was time to go in where the people are.) The farrier's got enough on his plate trying to get a herd of horses done. And not all of them are Chatty Cathys who do a running commentary on their clients' horses.
    I have to say that depending on the breed and type of horse there can be some striking similarities. I have two geldings who are as alike as peas in a pod - one is a bit taller and more heavily built. Both are dark bay, white star with a tiny bit below, both have matching white socks in behind. One has a tiny white snip on his nose as the only difference. My BO who sees them daily said that unless she is up close she can't tell them apart - am going to put different coloured halter fuzzies to make it easier.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Yes but somebody had to hold the horses for the farrier, somebody had to pay the farrier Bill that said 21 and not 20. The negligence here comes from handing off 20 horses to somebody and not checking on them for a year. What if the caretaker was starving them? Good grief it's not that hard to drive over and look at your horses once in awhile. What is the point of her even having all those horses if she's not going to bother to see them for a year?
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBreeze View Post
    ... The negligence here comes from handing off 20 horses to somebody and not checking on them for a year.
    I think the negligence here comes from the stallion owner who dumped him into a pasture that wasn't his and left him there.

What is the point of her even having all those horses if she's not going to bother to see them for a year?
    That is none of anyone's business. It appears other than her mares who were knocked up, they were otherwise cared for. If she has the money to care for them and hire someone to carry out that task, then that's her business. They may have been pregnant without her knowing, but I'm certain with all the threads on here about abuse and neglect cases, there are far worse things those horses could be dealing with.

8 members found this post helpful.

The most disturbing part to me is that she had to euthanize one mare because the foal was dead inside her…. I am certainly no expert in breeding, but wouldn’t the mare be showing signs of distress before she got sick enough to have to be euthanized??

I think the negligence here comes from the stallion owner who dumped him into a pasture that wasn't his and left him there.

That is none of anyone's business. It appears other than her mares who were knocked up, they were otherwise cared for. If she has the money to care for them and hire someone to carry out that task, then that's her business. They may have been pregnant without her knowing, but I'm certain with all the threads on here about abuse and neglect cases, there are far worse things those horses could be dealing with.
    But here we are again, a horse person drawing attention to themselves on TV for their unique story, and so they are going to be scrutinized by the horse world. And that includes people who keep their horses rough, and people who bubble wrap their horses - I am somewhere in between and and perplexed that no one saw the mares gaining weight over the winter, bagging up, waxing....and no, not all of the mares look well cared for. A couple looked pretty ragged - which is to be expected for being tossed out in the field to fend for themselves for a year and deliver foals. It's not how many people would do things; so if she didn't want to be judged, she shouldnt have invited a news crew to her property to show off her skinny mares.

7 members found this post helpful.

I have no sympathy. What about wormer? Feed? Basic checks to make sure nobody was missing? If she couldn't tell how many were there, how did she know that none of hers were missing either? Bleeding? Lame? There are about ten thousand opportunities to notice a strange horse in your field before 11 months go by. The TB farms here manage to pull it off every year.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

7 members found this post helpful.

Every 5 weeks...

Not one new horse...but the total amounts of trims he did....
    Unless he figures that eh, he'll give her the 21st as discount....

My uncle kept cows on summer pasture, a bit away from the house. He made it a point to check on them every single day.
    Another farmer had an incident, losing a calf/heifer, I suppose you could call it suicide, hanging itself from a fork in a tree. They did not notice it until a couple of days or so later....

it really does not matter how one twists and turns it, somebody fell asleep at the wheel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Welcome to Kentucky. That's all I have to say.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Not saying the stallion owner isn't to blame here either (and I hope they are able to catch the jerk) but the mare owner is still negligent in leaving her horses like that. As somebody pointed out, if they didn't notice an extra horse, how would they know if one was missing? If one was trapped or injured and dying a slow death in the woods? I don't think it's awful to have a bunch of horses and do nothing with them, but that's IF they are being cared for properly, which apparently these horses weren't. This could have easily been one of those cases where a bunch of starving horses were found in a field and the owner is shocked because she hired somebody to care for them, how could this happen?! We've heard it before.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Welcome to Kentucky. That's all I have to say.
    Yep.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

4 members found this post helpful.

Hahaha, she called them "little corn-munchers." That made me laugh.

I won't comment on anything else.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Not that I can do it, but I know people who don't see their horses for days on end...and their house is sitting next to the huge pasture. They may look out at supper and notice some filly didn't come in with the rest and if she doesn't show up in a day or so, they'll go looking.

My shoer would notice an extra horse. He's a bit nosy, to the point sometimes it makes me a bit unsettled. That's the way he is. I suspect he's a gossiper, too, as I've had to shut down some convos and now am careful what I say to him. But I had an ex who was a shoer and on the larger ranches, it's like an assembly line. Shoe one horse and bring on the next horse. I can see the numbers being confused.

At least she was trying to find him another home. Whomever dumped him was the creep. The rest of it, I'm in the poot happens camp. No matter how I try to keep things straight, life happens and sometimes things don't go to plan, so I'm going to cut her some slack.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

I think everyone agrees that the stallion ending up in her herd is not her fault.

What is her fault is it taking 11 months to notice and then acting all shocked.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I think everyone agrees that the stallion ending up in her herd is not her fault.

What is her fault is it taking 11 months to notice and then acting all shocked.
    That pretty much sums it up!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg