The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equifit Shoulders Back - yes or no?

I've been getting progressively more pain between my shoulder blades and I was thinking of getting the Equifit Shoulder's Back brace to help me with both the strain and my position. Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with this?

http://www.smartpakequine.com/equifi...x?cm_vc=Search

I was just looking at those this week so I'm really curious to see what people have to say about them. I thought it might be a good way to "train" me to be better at keeping my shoulders back.

I bought one of those YEARS ago and interestingly I have never worn it and I don't know why.

Maybe I will use it and let you know how it goes. Sorry I am no help at this point
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have one. It was some of the best $$ I've spent. As a desk jockey, I have one sorta trashed shoulder and it did wonders for it. I've never used it on a horse, only in front of a computer, but it worked great.

Well worth the money, both on and off the horse! Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I have one. It was some of the best $$ I've spent. As a desk jockey, I have one sorta trashed shoulder and it did wonders for it. I've never used it on a horse, only in front of a computer, but it worked great.
    Same here. I noticed my posture was getting worse. Now I wear it for a few hours a day at my desk. I never really had pain though so I cant speak to that part.

I don't know. I'm very tall, thin, large breasted, work at a computer all day and, well, old! So, slumping around is a tendency/habit I've fought much of my life. I tried the Shoulders Back thing and hated it, it was uncomfortable and didn't really do much for me. What has worked is stretching my pectoral muscles, everyday, working my back, purposefully several times a week (lat pulldowns, bent over rows/deadlifts with heavy weight, etc...), getting myself a better chair at work (with lumbar support in the right place for a tall person) and, finally, getting over being embarrassed about my height or endowment .

3 members found this post helpful.

SAMMICAT please check your PMs

I haven't used it in years, but used to wear it quite a bit. I think it did help with my posture. But it DEFINITELY helped with shoulder pain. I went through a spell where I was separating my shoulder a lot. It was often weak and sore, and the Shoulders Back gave it some stability and support.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I have myriad back problems and cannot straighten my spine and pull my shoulders back on my own. I used the Shoulders Back as training wheels while I developed muscle. I really like it and wore it as a back support off the horse also.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Thank you very much, all. Addison - thanks again.

I'm definitely going to try and it and see if it helps with my posture, position, and pain.

I bought a generic one like that off ebay. I was having very bad pains between my shoulder blades (I broke my shoulder a couple of years ago) and nothing I did helped much long term. I started wearing the brace for a few hous a day and the pain went away. The straps are a little uncomfortable for me; they dig into my arms in front a bit. But it was definitely worth the investment!

I have always had a problem hunching my shoulders riding. I bought one and have worn it a couple of times. I did however over-do it and make it WAAAAY too tight and pulled muscles in my abs. That hurt a lot and for a while, so use it, but don't tighten it too much!

I bought one after being diagnosed with arthritis, tendonitis and fluid build up in my right shoulder from bad posture and super flexible joints. I have to make sure that the muscles around my joints are built up properly or else I get severe pain. I use this sometimes at work and sometimes riding just to help remind myself where my shoulders should be. I wouldn't use it everytime because that won't train your body but if you use it when you know you will have a hard/long ride or a stressful day at work it really helps. I did use it more in the beginning when the pain was worse and I was doing physical therapy and exercises at home. Once the really bad pain went away I phased.

I bought one a couple of years ago and used it for a few weeks. It was annoying to put on alone (I'm a bit uncoordinated), and in the summer you can't really wear it with any sort of sleeveless attire due to rubbing. I think I mainly stopped using it bc it was annoying, made me hurt (lol), and I felt like I was a bit stiff when riding with it. If you put it tight enough to work you will be in ALOT of pain, but if you make it loose so it doesn't hurt it won't really help much. I think it's sitting at the bottom of my trunk collecting dust. Kind of a $$ waste :/
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I have one and use it when I need a reminder to not slouch in the saddle. It works well, but I do wear it over my shirt so that it won't rub.

My daughter thought it changed her life. Me - I'm too confirmed a sloucher for it to do much and it cut into me, even with a t-shirt under it.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Count me among the converts! I had a fairly bad fall earlier this week and the fact that I was wearing the brace to keep my shoulders back helped minimize the impact to my spine and neck. On top of that, the ride, prior to the fall, felt really good and balanced.