The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default low heel and longterm soundess

like the title says...what sort of issues could potentially arise? one front heel is lower than the other. horse is sound, regular shoes in front barefoot behind and travels normally. owner would like to event, level doesn't really matter. we are just poking around for some input.

Tia!

posted via smartphone so please chuckle at any mistakes

Both of my horses have had one front heel that was lower than the other.

My first horse, Mickey is very sound (knock on wood). He raced, we did through prelim, did a T3D and he now has a kid to take care of. He has funky conformation and I'm pretty sure 3 out of his 4 feet are naturally at different angles and shaped differently. He would more than likely be lame-ish if he didn't have a farrier that was really serious about hoof balance.
    He was never lame because of his feet other than a normal abcess here and there.

My current horse also does fine, he doesn't have nearly the milage and his angles aren't quite so different but he also has much better conformation and bigger feet than my last horse.
    I keep atleast front shoes on him.

In both cases, I really kept up with their shoeing schedule, in the summer I try and to do 4-6 weeks between resets instead of 6-8 weeks.
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

My old Intermediate horse had serious hi-low feet. She mildly tweaked a superficial flexor on the high foot once but was never off on the low one. With diligent farrier care though they are nearly matched.

Jennifer

Vernon had this. Good shoeing improved it a good bit (staying up on his shoeing so his toe wouldn't get too long and the heel too low). I ran him through prelim. His feet never bothered him.

Keebler has a bit of this. He did suffer a DDFT injury that was probably related to his foot anatomy, at least in part. He's doing fine, but his hooves need a bit more looking after than your average critter. Interestingly, the foot he hurt was the "better" of the two.
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear the good news. The farrier we use at the barn is amazing, and he's currently on a six week schedule. Bailey has a club foot so I'm familiar with that type of thing, but this was new and I didn't know what to say. I mean, its amazing what they can do in spite of themselves! My trainer's schoolmaster is a conformation train wreck, and my friend's old dressage horse who she took through third level has the funkiest ankle joints EVER and he was sound until 18, then she retired him as a trail horse.

So. Outlook is good. yay!!

I would have him on a 4 or 5 week cycle.

I think the hard going and lack of good grazing in Cali may make a bit of a difference, but my horses go 5 weeks in the winter, 4 in the summer. This is especially important when you have something like you are describing.

My horse has this... and, an excellent farrier is going to be essential. She's on a 5 week schedule, has Myron Mclain pads on front and has never been better since the change.

If you're thinking of buying this horse, factor in the price of good frequent hoof care/shoeing into the over all price.