The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'm sure this has been discussed before..

So if it has please send me a link. I did search for it prior to posting this.

What do you think about this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=GGMTp3dYnIw

It was previously discussed and I'm sure someone will be able to post a link.

I thought the horse was a saint and wished I could afford him!

(No comment about the kid or parents)

I just want the horse. Yes it's been on here before. Not sure of the link.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I think the horse looks adorable.

I think it's inappropriate to critique someone who did not ask for it. Particularly when it's a child.

3 members found this post helpful.

That kid is a pretty good rider for his size and age... I'm with everyone else re wanting the horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

bM is offline Working Hunter
    Original Poster

I'm not looking to critique the kid. But is this really safe? Does this happen often? I've never seen a kid that small, on a horse that big, jumping fences that big.. Are there really pairs like this at shows?

And yes, very nice horse!

They're not at a show. They're at home. It's a sale video. A good salesman will show the horse off, even if that means doing something a little unusual to highlight the horse.

Note that everyone on the thread is impressed with the horse. So clearly the sales tactic worked.

Original Poster

Obviously they are not at a show. But are there pairs like this showing?

I don't recall seeing any.

Amazing horse! I want it. The kid is cute and obviously doesn't look like she is struggling. Working at a sale barn before, the saying was "If we can show that a kid can ride it, anyone will think they can ride it.." and it worked many times.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think the kid and the horse are awesome. The horse looks like a saint and obviously knows his job very well. Even though that little tot is pretty good, that horse knew his job perfectly. The ride definitely looks like a point-and-aim, and what better way to show that than plunking a kid on it? Even if the kid can ride better than some adults several times his age!

As for the safety issue, I'm not that concerned because this 7 year really DOES seem to be in control of his body, unlike most young 'ns.

5 members found this post helpful.

Well I don't know about you OP, but I thought that kid looked pretty solid up there. And the horse was pretty fantastic too!
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

There are little kids showing big horses, definitely. In the low children's jumpers or below though, I can't think of any pairs like this showing over larger fences... mostly because the 7 or 8 year old munchkins just physically cannot do the low juniors yet.

I saw it once. Girl was similar size to this kid, on an imported Irish mare. It was a smaller jumper class (maybe 6 entries) but they went clean and did it about 10 seconds faster than everyone else. But definitely the exception not the rule.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
    Amazing horse! I want it. The kid is cute and obviously doesn't look like she is struggling. Working at a sale barn before, the saying was "If we can show that a kid can ride it, anyone will think they can ride it.." and it worked many times.
    My first thought of the sale video was doped or lunged/ridden into the ground prior to video, not that anyone can ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by bM View Post
    My first thought of the sale video was doped or lunged/ridden into the ground prior to video, not that anyone can ride it.
    I don't think that just because a small kid is on a big horse means AT ALL that it is doped or lunged.. There are plenty of kids out there that can ride the pants off adults.

4 members found this post helpful.

I think it's cute! And the kid's a solid rider. The fences were pretty big but it wasn't a super demanding setup. Just looked like a nice steady horse who knew his job and a kid who knew his...
    "Disapproval of the way other people run their businesses and treat their horses is the meat and drink of the hunter-jumper industry."
    Working Student Blog
    Current Blog

I don't know if it's another version of the same video but in the notes for the video they say that it's a 7 yr old from like China or Korea, can't remember exactly which. When this was posted before it was also discussed that there is a possibility that it was a very small/midget type adult. (which of course the video says it's not but hey, that doesn't mean they are lying! Not saying they are.) This video is a couple years old I believe so I wonder where the kid is now.

They probably lunged the horse into the ground. Then sedated it. Then put a miniature adult on it. Then built funky standards so the jumps would look taller. Then got more miniature people to stand next to the funky standards to make the jumps look even bigger. Then had the cameraman sit on the ground to add to the effect.

< Denotes sarcasm.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    They probably lunged the horse into the ground. Then sedated it. Then put a miniature adult on it. Then built funky standards so the jumps would look taller. Then got more miniature people to stand next to the funky standards to make the jumps look even bigger. Then had the cameraman sit on the ground to add to the effect.

< Denotes sarcasm.
    Aww.. c'mon! Where is your overdeveloped sense of "this is unusual so there must be something fishy going on here"?