The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Redwine IHF 2013?

I might be purchasing a Redwine baby this spring. Will it be eligible to be nominated for the IHF?

I believe the only way it will be eligible to compete in IHF classes is if Redwine himself was nominated and current on all IHF stallion fees in the year in which the baby was conceived.

You will have to check with the IHF on what his status was during that year. I know GFF has a storied history of not being current on dues with registries and others. So if there is/was an outstanding balance with them at the time of conception, the baby will not be eligible.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you!

I would do your research thoroughly if a particular registration is important to you.

I would never blame a breeder for Redwine's troubles (unless that breeder is Jill Burnell herself) but he sure has plenty due to his owner (search her name on this forum and do your research).

Many, many breeders who have bred their mares to Rediwne have been screwed in the past and there is a lot of controversy.

My first comment is "how do you know it is a Redwine baby?" If it wasn't parentage verified via DNA comparison, I would be very hesitant to assume it was by Redwine. And don't just take the seller's word for it - ask for a copy of the DNA results. Or, if it happens to be registered, make sure it is with a registry that does parentage verification via DNA on EVERY foal (some registries only do DNA verification on foals from frozen semen). Remember that JillB ran a VERY sloppy semen processing lab, and she did have another black, blingy stallion on the property . Furthermore, she isn't the only ethically challenged person out there that wanted to capitalize on the Redwine's popularity.

My second comment is that, IIRC, a few years ago, there was some controversy when some owners of Redwine youngsters wanted to do the IHF, but his owner hadn't paid the nomination fees for the year the foals were conceived. Lo and behold, when IHF realized how many Redwine foals might be participating in IHF, it did a complete run-around regarding its own policies and accepted BACK PAYMENT so Redwine could be considered nominated.

5 members found this post helpful.

The policy of allowing a stallion to be back nominated started several years ago and did not involve Redwine. It is now possible, but not cheap, to back nominate the stallion for the year of conception, as well as back nominating the offspring. Again, not cheap, but doable.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com