The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default chances of selling a horse that recently coliced

Just when I was deciding to sell my horse, he coliced. No surgery needed, but did spend three nights in the hospital. Is this a deal breaker?

do you honestly have any idea why he coliced ?

Most horses have colics at least once in their life.
    Most don't need surgery.

If you know why your horse had a colic, of course you now can prevent it from doing another one.

How old is your horse? Has he ever had a colic before?

He's 13 this year. Never coliced I know of (I've had him for three years). He recently moved to my trainers, so the only thing I can think of is the difference in grass.

There! You have your answer. He just need a bit more time to settle and be gradually adjusted to the grass.

No big deal and unless there is some complications, you shouldn't have trouble selling it.

I sold a horse that colicked 6 months prior. No surgery but 1 night in ICU and a 2nd night in the medical ward. No known reason but it was the only colic she ever had. Buyer never even asked questions about it.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Full disclosure to interested parties and you're fine. Horses colic all the time, outta the proverbial blue. The only time my OLD gelding coliced, he needed surgery. It was an intussusception. No history there, and no way to prevent. That's horses, right?

1 members found this post helpful.

If you disclosed it to me - I would be fine with it. Especially with no surgery. Horses colic sometimes, no matter what you do.

No surgery colic is ok as long as you have some honest idea of why. Moving is a decent reasonable reason

Could it have been sand colic? Sometimes the stress of moving or something like a 4th of July fireworks excitement day can bring on colic that actually is a sand colic. So maybe try using sand clear or something like that to prevent future possible recurrence.

Not a deal breaker for me.

I would be curious as to what type of colic. Was he impacted, did he have a gas colic, each of these has a different inciting cause.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Not a deal breaker for me.
    www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

I was standing with a sales horse in the arena, showing him to a prospective buyer. As soon as the buyer said, "I am really interested," Tex dropped to his knees and began to colic.

Quote Originally Posted by narcisco View Post
    I was standing with a sales horse in the arena, showing him to a prospective buyer. As soon as the buyer said, "I am really interested," Tex dropped to his knees and began to colic.
    And you know that he did it on purpose!!!

(hope he is fine now!)

Lol perfect example of horses. Hope he is fine now and he sold.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

HAHA! What a jerk! I swear some horses are too smart. My mare pulls crap like this. We haul to a show or clinic, getting on the trailer she's sounder than sound. We get to our destination, she's LAME. I mean three legged lame. So we scratch, get back on the trailer and go home. Get home - sound - like magic!

She also did this recently when I had a friend come out to ride. I think she thought she was on the sale rack and proceeded to act like a total lunatic while we were free lunging her (keep in mind this is my 20 year old baby beginner lesson horse). Poor lady thought I was trying to kill her by suggesting she ride this horse.

OP - to answer your question - no. It wouldn't bother me too much. If you were willing to provide vet records with him, I'd feel all the better about it.