The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tell Me About Your Kleptomaniac Cats

I ask because I could hear the four 12-week old kittens roughhousing in the bathtub last night after I went to bed. This morning I walk in to take a shower and discover the six ugly anti-slip suction-cup "flowers" from the bottom of the tub are gone. Just gone. I eventually found 4 of them widely scattered in various rooms. Two are still MIA.

First the kittens had to pry up the 6 flowers individually, then carry them in their mouths to random parts of the house. Makes me wonder what else has gone missing that I just haven't noticed yet!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

1 members found this post helpful.

My almost-one-year-old will dumpster dive for used Q-tips then will either carry them around the house like a dog with a bone or bring them to me to throw and play catch.

The old lady will hunt down any nail file that hasn't been put behind lock and key -- not the old emory board type (that have a fish based glue I guess?) but the more modern foam core ones. I once found three in a stash under the bed when I went to rotate the mattress.

I have one of those. He is a newbie. Since he has come, he goes on a nightly rampage, crying as if his heart is broken. When I wake up, I see laundry, clean from the basket, strewn across the entire house! It is as if he has nothing better to do-like sleep-and spends the entire night dragging my clean clothes around. I guess I will have to actually put things away!
    Another killer of threads

Mine just steal my pony tail holders - the kind that are rubber covered with stretchy cloth. They'll take them off my door knobs so I had to stop putting them there. Started putting them around the tub of vaseline but they figured out how to get them off that. If I don't put them in a drawer, they're gone. And if I leave the drawer open at all, they get in it and get them.

If find these things in food bowls, water bowls, the toilet - everywhere.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Yep, I have one that just loves q-tips and another with a pony tail holder obsession. The q-tip lover also used to pick up my cell phone and try to carry it around (tiny phone) whenever it rang????? Pony tail holder theif also loves her toy mice and delights in hiding them in shoes- fortunately they are only toys LOL!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

My cats will open the medicine cabinet to remove the hair ties found therein, and relocate them two flights down to the basement.

Under the refrigerator is also popular.

I used to have a half Maine Coon who would walk off with things. One morning I woke up to see the cat casually sauntering across the room with my Mickey Mouse watch dangling from the watch strap held in his teeth. Um kitty, you might have the Mouse Hunting 101 course work completed, but you just failed the applied lab.

4 members found this post helpful.

My 2 year old PITA steals bottle caps and hair ties with alarming frequency. Also, anything plastic will be either chewed to shreds or relocated.

My kitty adores my boys and will steal anything she can carry from their rooms and bring it downstairs to play with. It`s kinda cute and only bugs me because I clean it up only for her to bring something else down. Thank God - for no mice in the house.

Better than Dynamite though, she goes for my bra`s and underwear. I know she loves me, but its so gross.

I have one He like ponytail holders most but will hide anything he can carry or drag. You can't go though his hiding spot when he can see you or he'll change it and you have to find the new spot.

He really likes to get a hold of the plastic grocery bags so it's a mad race to get them away before he grabs one. DH went to the dentist and left his parting gift bag on the kitchen counter. He took that and hide it

His latest spot is in his kitty condo hammick. He has never tried to sleep in it, but he thinks its a great place to stach his stolen goods!

I had a cat that would collect coins and pile them by size underneath my bed. He also would try to steal keys if left out. Weirdest animal ever since he seemed to like metal in his mouth.

One of my current cats like to rearrange shoes. I once saw him take a hiking boot up two flights of stairs.

My other one steals twist ties and puts them in their water. She also put all her toys in her water.

I've got a ponytail holder thief too--Snickers. Someday when we move, I'm sure I'll find hundreds, secured away in her lair.

Same one also loves the plastic ring that comes off the gallon milk jugs. Once it's played out, they become tiny pieces strategically placed within the carpet so that one experiences maximinum pain when stepping upon it in barefeet. I think she laffs at us.

The other, Pumpkin (formally a barn cat), is a toy thief. I keep a small handbasket on the floor, tucked under a side table, containing all sorts of wee toys. Pumpkin will turn the basket over and then stare at the pile that's spilled out. Once a selection has been made, that toy will, once played out, disappear. Maybe they're keeping the ponytail holders company?
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

My cat used to run and get into the shower with whoever was using it.
    If we beat said cat to it and got the door closed, she would get on the bathroom counter, reach under it and open the sock drawer and, one at the time, take a sock out, check it over carefully and drop it on the floor.
    Never figured why she did that.

The trouble with a cat in the shower with you, then you had to take time to wash and dry the now wet cat, didn't want her to go out all wet.

She would also bat a golf ball sized foil ball you trow at her and when tired of it, run off with it and hide it behind the sofa.

one of my barn kitties is my CONSTANT companion when I am outside, and loves to run off with my garden/barn glove(s) as soon as I remove them.............he actually stands on hind legs in anticipation of removal so he can grab it before it hits the ground...he is my quirky fella........also loves to ride around in the car with me

Receipts! I have one kitty that will steal and shred receipts.

Lord, I thought I was the only one! My 2-year old, Sassy, loves pens. If they're on the desk, they're fair game. I discovered a hoard of them last weekend when vacuuming under the bed. Now I believe she is collecting them again . . .

I have two of those! Though the older one is by far the worst. He even stole an apple from my mother. Just picked it up by the stem and went waddling out of the room. He's also stolen scarves, pens, golf balls, these blue tinted glasses (like the old cheap 3-d glasses without the red lens) and plenty more.

The younger one is obsessed with straws.

We all have hoarder kitties. Thank god they can't shop!
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

2 members found this post helpful.

We used to have one - my mom found his stash when she moved the couch one day. Pop tart wrappers, pencils, rubber bands, anything plastic, cat toys, etc. Funny enough, his name was Bandit. He was also known to jump on the counter and try to steal an entire turkey, chicken leg, etc.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

I'm still missing a diamond tennis bracelet. I know it's in the house somewhere, but the thief hid it well. I haven't torn the couch apart yet, but I'm considering it.

I simply cannot leave jewelry out. It has to be locked up immediately after removal or I'll never see it again.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef