The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jumper farms near University of Florida?

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to UF Law next fall and am looking for a place to keep my two horses. One is a 22 year old thoroughbred who is semi-retired. I still hack him around and occasionally pop him over some lower jumps. The other is a 10 year old warmblood who unfortunately has become a spoiled pasture pet. I would be fine with a pasture board for both of them as long as there is some sort of run-in available. Does anybody know of any places that may be suitable and relatively close to UF?

Also, I am looking to take lessons at a jumper farm and potentially lease a horse next fall as I would like to continue competing (we'll see how insane my life gets with school first.. ) I've been showing Level 3 jumpers and am wanting to continue to move up and compete but am looking for the right barn to train at and potentially lease a horse from.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. My two boys do not have to be at the same barn as where I would be taking lessons from.

Thanks for your input!

1 members found this post helpful.

I would reach out to the show secretary for Horse Shows in the Park. They have a regular show at the Canterbury show grounds that is very well attended and will probably know of many local barns that participate. IT is a great organization and has never been anything but helpful.

http://www.horseshowsinthepark.com/

I don't have any suggestions, but.... UF Law. Takin' both your ponies with you. Lookin' to move up in the jumper ring and, you know, maybe lease something cool....

You go, girl. You've got it going on. Best of luck to you!

Derick Petersen is around Gainesville, he has a good jumper program, you can look up his information on his website. Google Legacy Farm

I know someone who does the jumpers and rides here. She absolutely loves the trainer and people. The barn is about 30 minutes from UF and I believe it is where the UF IHSA team rides out of.

http://www.saltwaterstables.com/

Lucy17 -

Haha! Thank you!

Everyone tells me I'm crazy but I couldn't imagine my life without riding. Plus, everyone stresses about how you need to have something you enjoy while your at school, most students do kick boxing or yoga, but I'll stick with my horses

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I really appreciate it!

If you want to board your 2 horses on pasture board I would recommend Misty Morning Hounds. I boarded there for my whole stay at UF. They have over 500 acres filled with trails and cross country jumps. There are also 2 dressage rings and 2 stadium jump rings. It's a very low key place and everyone is very friendly. I think they even have a trainer going out there now. Not sure if there would be many showing opportunities there for showing, but definitely great p lace for your other 2 horses. The website is:

www.mistymorninghounds.com

Dom14, I sent you a PM.
    Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
    and
    http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

I would also look into Mauricio Garcia's farm, which is near Derek's farm in Newberry (near Gainesville).
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

1 members found this post helpful.