The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need help in PA...sick rescue horse needs a place to go!

An old friend of mine in PA recently rescued a sick horse. She did everything remotely and on short notice...He's coughing so was sent to a "quarantine" barn sight unseen...upon seeing facility my friend is very concerned about his safety and care. Does anyone on here know of a quarantine type place that she could board him. Would love to find a place where someone temporarily has no horses so cough wouldn't be a concern..or somewhere that has a separate stall/barn/paddock etc where he could be on his own.
    Please let me know any ideas! THANK YOU!!
    Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com
    Home of Pinto Dutch Warmblood Palladio

Where in PA is he at (not the facility but what area is the horse in) and has he been seen by a vet yet?
    Kerri

I don't want to give out the name of the city as it's not my place to out the barn....my friend has trailer and can move horse. I believe he was seen by a vet as he's supposed to be on antibiotics...hopefully getting them but barn owner has tucked away. It sounds like a mess so I'm trying to get her some options. She will provide more details to anyone that thinks they might have a place. I know he had neg coggins but barn owner also will not produce that for her so she's having redone.

THANKS!
    Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com

Can you give a general geographic location, I am in south central so giving her a place in my area may not be of any benefit if she is in northwest, PA is a big state.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm asking because I have a place, not to out the barn. We have quarantine facilities available- central PA. I don't think we'd take on a horse that has a cough already and hasn't been seen, but if he's on antibiotics it might be ok. You can go to the website to see the farm (http://skystables.weebly.com/index.html) I was managing it but I'm not doing that any longer, it's still family owned though. Horse would be more than perfectly safe and cared for there.
    Kerri

1 members found this post helpful.

Looks like he's in more SE PA....I think the county could be Lancaster?
    Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com

That's about an hour and ten minutes from this barn. If she's interested, let me know - I don't really have any suggestions for out that way though. Good luck to her, hope she finds something.
    Kerri

Thank you! I'm not sure which direction she lives as well...I'm directing her over to this thread so she can chat with you guys!
    Keep ideas coming...this place sounds like a mess!!!
    :-)
    Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com

i tried to pm you but you have no space. i will send to the email on your siggy.

Default Rescue horse's owner

Andrea's friend here... (Thank you Andrea!) we are near Kimberton, PA (think Chester County, Delaware Valley environs) and the horse is near Lititz (vicinity of New Holland, naturally). I want very much to get him within range of a veterinarian and farrier I trust, but my number one concern is getting him somewhere that does not have metal protrusions at leg level, hanging wires from low ceiling, debris with nails on floor, exposure to unknown horses, etc.

I know of a place in eastern NJ just over the Delaware that would do if that is not to far to transport the horse. It is run by two Qualified Vet Techs and they also have boarders that are vet techs. PM me if this is of interest to you.

Call new Bolton and ask them for a recommendation for a rehab quarantine barn.
    When I pulled my horses from their boarding site (years ago, in NY) for mismanagement I called my vet who had three recommendations and the one I picked was really really good.

do not know this facility personally, but they do offer rehabilative care http://www.veridafarm.com/

this farm is near New Bolton...they offer rehab care...not sure if that is for injury only http://www.mauimeadowfarm.com/

I can personally vouch for Maui Meadow Farm. My best friend is one of the managers and my family has known the owner for years and previously had racehorses there. Maui is an excellent facility with excellent care and I highly recommend them for rehabilitation. Please Please Please do yourself a favor and contact them as soon as possible. Visit their website at www.mauimeadowfarm.com - tell them T. Berardi sent you - she will know who it is.