The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saddles Similar to Black Country?

I have been saddle shopping for a while now and I finally tried a Black Country on my horse the other day. He seems pretty happy with it and it fits me well. It is about double my price range though. Is there anything that has a similar fit to the Quantum? My horse seems to prefer short tree points and upswept panels and I need long, forward flaps. Thanks!

You may find it useful to more specifically define "your price range." A lot of the stuff that will tend to fit (and sometimes ride) like the BC Quantum is, not surprisingly, in that same MSRP price range. So you're about to get deluged with suggestions to try Frank Baines, Ideal, Borne, Hastilow, Albion, etc. but if your budget can't accommodate, that's just getting your hopes up for nothing.

Don't be shy. Give the nice folks at home a dollar figure.

Probably wise advice. I am trying to stay under $2000, preferably around $1500. Thanks!

You can find used Black Country saddles in that price range. Might have to hunt a little, depending on your exact needs, but they are definitely out there. Not to be all Captain Obvious, but if that's what you really love and what works for you, etc.
    http://longestformat.blogspot.com/

"The present tense of regret is indecision."
    - Welcome to Night Vale

Default Try at Rolex

Are you going to Rolex? I believe Black Country and Patty Merril each have booths at Rolex. They may have demos or consignment saddles for sale. I know Patty has my Vinici Jump if anyone is looking for one of those

1 members found this post helpful.

If you are willing to look at used saddles, you may be able to find a BC in your price range. Try looking here at Trumbull Mtn

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/store/dem...eat-size-17-2/

also, I have been told that the Corcoran saddles are similar to BCs. Fine Used Saddles has a Corcoran saddle as well and has some good buys on several brands of saddles.

I second looking at used Black Country saddles. Patty Merli always has a very nice selection of consignment saddles and she's at Rolex right now. She is in KY quite frequently and if you email her, she can tell you when she'll be by next! Contact info is on her website: www.pattymerlisaddles.com/ We purchased a lovely saddle from Patty, a gently used BC, in your price range. Patty is a very talented saddle fitter and a great person to deal with in general.
    A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I am missing where all the cheap Black Country saddles are? Everything I have seen (used) is over $2k and that includes Patty Merli's site and Trumbull's. I need something pretty specific, so that is why I was wondering if any other brand fits like the Black Country. I had thought about ordering from Heritage, but I am a little concerned about my measuring skills. I will check out Corcoran. Thanks for the tip!

Well, I know Patty has a ton more then what are on her site. Mine is not on there and when I rode in a bunch of hers the ones she put me in were not on the site. It might be worth just shooting her an e-mail and asking.

Other then that, it is just hunting them down, ebay, google searches etc. Not terribly helpful, I know!

Check hastilowusa.com they have some that are probably in your price range. I know I got an ideal from them for almost half price and it was brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I am missing where all the cheap Black Country saddles are? Everything I have seen (used) is over $2k and that includes Patty Merli's site and Trumbull's.
    Hint: the good stuff is gone long before it hits the web site. This is not an abstraction. In the last 12 months alone, I've helped at least six people acquire a high-quality British demo/used saddle in the $1500-$2000 price range. Call and chat people up.

If it were my problem, I'd be calling every good saddle fitter in the country who tends to carry a fair amount of demo inventory in a wide variety of British brands: Patty Merli, Annette Gavin of All English Tack in Pennsylvania (she tends to have *tons* of demos, and they're often in your target price range), Bill Wood in Virginia, Colleen Meyer of Advanced Saddle Fit in New England, etc. There are more, but those are the folks I'd hit first. They're all familiar with the BC Quantum and can give you the specs on anything they have that might be similar for the horse. Not all of them will ride like a BC Quantum, but they're all good saddles that will have their own unique ride experiences.

That said, if access is a priority, some-but-not-all Quantum horses will fit nicely in some of the Kent and Masters S-Series saddles. Those retail around $1500-$1600 and are an excellent value for the money, similar to Heritage in that regard but available stateside for demo rides. Annette at Hastilow reps for K&M, as do some other fitters.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Apr. 25, 2013 at 07:47 PM.

Try:
    http://www.blackcountrysaddles.co.uk...s-for-sale.php

Direct from the saddler's mouth, as it were. It's where I found my used BC last summer- I love it!
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

With $2k or less I wouldn't even consider buying new. You are much better off getting something of quality with a little wear on it than a new inexpensive/cheap saddle!

As far as maintaining value, that inexpensive saddle will be worth next to nothing in a few years and a quality saddle will always be worth something to somebody even with wear.

Trumbull also carries Kent and Masters and we have some used Corcoran saddles.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird660 View Post
    Trumbull also carries Kent and Masters and we have some used Corcoran saddles.
    Would you say that Kent and Masters fit the rider similarly to the Black Country or just the horse?

If you're not going to Rolex, give Patty Merli a call next week.
    She's fabulous to work with! Also, put in a favorites search on ebay.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I am missing where all the cheap Black Country saddles are? Everything I have seen (used) is over $2k and that includes Patty Merli's site and Trumbull's. I need something pretty specific, so that is why I was wondering if any other brand fits like the Black Country. I had thought about ordering from Heritage, but I am a little concerned about my measuring skills. I will check out Corcoran. Thanks for the tip!
    Dude, I got my barely used MAELSTROM for $2k. They're out there for sure. Here's a Quantum on eBay for $1200.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

The Kent and Masters has a deeper front panel so that would be somewhat similar to a Quantum or Ricochet with a deeper front panel. The Quantum saddles have a choice of a standard panel, trapezius with wither gussets or full front gussets while the Kent and Masters have full front gussets.
    For the rider, you may notice that the saddle is a bit more saddle, though not much. The leather is not quite as soft and pliable and the blocks are a bit bigger on the front and you as the rider may notice that although they are re-positional. For the price, they are a wonderful alternative if the shape and panel construction work for your horse.

Thank you for the replies, leads, and PMs everyone! I have been in contact with some of the fitters and stores listed. Part of my issue is that I need something pretty specific as both me and the horse are hard to fit. No way could I fit myself into that 16.5 Quantum on ebay, lol! I have probably tried 20 saddles on this horse now. Some of them he has said "NO WAY!!" pretty clearly from the first few steps. Others he has dealt with fine but came back the next day or two with obvious back soreness. The Black Country was the first one that pretty clearly worked for both of us.

You might also give Happy Horse Tack & Consignment in Colorado a call. I know it's far away, but they're BC dealers and are FANTASTIC to work with. I bought my last dressage saddle through them. Claire Painter is quite good at doing what's necessary to get a good fit (she fitted my used Quantum to my horse when I bought it). They ARE out there!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com