The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Where are you in Canada? We are a few on COTH, maybe we could help you finding goods breeders/prospect!

Well... I have a friend with a PSG Arabian she purchased at 2 years old for $800. Off the internet.

There are plenty of horses out there.

Not so many people who can train and ride them well.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Well... I have a friend with a PSG Arabian she purchased at 2 years old for $800. Off the internet.
    Would love to see photos or video

Try the Dressage Horses For Sale page on Facebook..https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...count=1&ref=nf

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    It may be a price point issue? I know we do video of all our horses, but we only do it a few times each year - it takes at least two people to do video, plus time to clean up the horses to make them presentable for video. When I have a two month old video showing all three gaits for a young (not yet under saddle) horse, odds are I won't be doing another video. Once under saddle, we do video more often, of course. I update pics often on Facebook, but I'm a decent photographer. For someone who isn't good w/ photography, they may have to pay someone to do it, and again, it isn't worth updating pics every time someone asks.
    This exactly-I always try to comply with the customers requests but my videography skills/equipment are pretty much subpar. It really does take more than one person to get decent video. You also need something that is a little bit more than a FLIP/Phone to get adequate video (preferable something with a zoom lens). My photo skills are much better and Im happy to supply whatever photos are needed (or try to get them)---and also very happy to answer questions. I know when I was shopping I asked A LOT of questions---some probably sounded silly to the seller but were important to me.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Well... she's shy about pics and video... But if you like, look up Kara Somerville and Psymbad on Centerline scores, all that info is public. I suppose she can't threaten to burn me alive if I point you towards that.

I had someone ask me to send pictures of the horses 'bite' (buyer happened to be a Dental Surgeon-Equine)-that was a first for me, but it made perfect since that they might want to check the horses bite--so we got it done.

I've shopped for low dollar horses always. I still would expect even a rudimentary video and a couple of pictures. I shop cheap because I don't have money for expensive. And for a young horse that is not under saddle, heck, a couple of pix of her hanging with her friends and one or two conformation shots. Nothing fancy!!! They don't have to be clipped or groomed. I wouldn't go look without pictures.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Maybe sellers get lots of calls and requests for video's and many are from people that aren't really serious. I can understand why sellers would rather you stopped by for a look in person; by actually coming out they are thinking you are more serious about a purchase. Of course if you live far enough away that driving just to get a first look might be impossible. If that's the case you might explain that. I'm sure many sellers have gotten calls from day dreaming teenagers just wanting pictures and videos of pretty horses (I don't mean that in a negative way, but just as a maybe reason why you aren't getting requests).

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, it's a HUGE problem. Made shopping hell on earth. My HD video camera was $179 from Costco, you can get great digital cameras for $50 now. With online photo albums and youtube, people shouldn't even have to ask for multiple pictures and video IMO, it should be linked to the ad.

And seriously, if you don't have a single person on this earth that can take a simple video of you with your cheap video camera? Or take pictures? Might be time to re-evaluate your life a bit. I have more video then I know what to do with of all my horses of the last 8 years simply from the husband and friends. And you are selling a horse and can't get any from anyone? Please.

4 members found this post helpful.

Yes, it's a HUGE problem. Made shopping hell on earth. My HD video camera was $179 from Costco, you can get great digital cameras for $50 now. With online photo albums and youtube, people shouldn't even have to ask for multiple pictures and video IMO, it should be linked to the ad.

And seriously, if you don't have a single person on this earth that can take a simple video of you with your cheap video camera? Or take pictures? Might be time to re-evaluate your life a bit. I have more video then I know what to do with of all my horses of the last 8 years simply from the husband and friends. And you are selling a horse and can't get any from anyone? Please.

I rarely had issues getting video when I requested it. And a couple of the videos I received were of obviously lame horses. Unless the horse is only a pasture pet, I expect some kind of video or it's not worth my time. This is even more true the farther away the horse is.

I eliminated a lot of horses through video. And maybe that's why some sellers hesitate to give video. But it saved me time, gas and some of my sanity.

I still ended up seeing a couple horses that the seller conveniently forgot to mention important information until they were point blank asked about it in person when it became clear something wasn't right. Like a 5 year old horse that looked good in a video but hadn't been ridden is over 6 months and acted like she'd never had a bit in her mouth by the time I tried her. I drove 5 hours round trip to see that horse.

I've seen marvelous horses come from the RCMP auction. Have no idea what the price range is, though. Just a suggestion, since you're in Canada.

It shouldn't be a problem. Some may be reluctant with horses still in winter fuzz, but there should be something from 2012. Like others, we typically only shoot video 1-2 a year as it does take multiple people and a lot of time between prep, shooting, edit and uploading. I know I am waiting on updating pics for them to shed out.

You might also look at other breeds like ASB, Arabs or Irish Draughts/sport horses. Someone already posted PLayland farm and their Arab/Irish x that do well in dressage. In Canada Pairadox farm has youngstock by their dressage stallion Steeped in Luck http://www.pairadoxfarm.com/page/page/2683048.htm Kinsale Farm has youngstock by their dressage stallion http://www.kinsalefarms.com/ourstallion.html. KEC Double Diamond is another http://www.adsagsona.com/oisin.htm
    Last edited by horsetales; Apr. 26, 2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: URL added
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Some of us sellers actually would like the horse to stay local. Thus we prefer the old fashion method of just coming over and trying the horse if you like what you see.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I have found that the easiest way to find a horse is make a list of potentials, and make a big trip to visit all of them. That way, I won't get too frustrated waiting for (often lousy) photos or videos and I can ride them right away if all seem well or push on to the next appointment if it doesn't. Besides, since I show up with trailer and check showing how serious I'm, the sellers are a lot more interested in negotiating with me.

When looking for my last horse, I had the same problem. I would find a decent prospect advertised on Dreamhorse, call or email the seller, and hear nothing back. There were lots and lots of horses advertised in the under $10,000 category that were suitable dressage horses. I found my guy for under $5000 and have every expectation of taking him to 3rd level.

I just could not understand a seller not wanting to get back in touch with someone interested in a prospect, but it happened time and again.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

I think you should post a video of yourself every time you demand one from someone else.

3 members found this post helpful.

I think you may be hitting breeders and sellers for whom getting fresh video is not easy. Not everyone in Canada has an indoor and even if they do, a young horse is likely living outside, unfit and looking like a yak.

I know of breeders who have been "once burned, twice shy". They have perfectly nice video from the summer or fall, someone e-mails and wants new video, they catch beastie, make him presentable, haul to an arena, pay for the arena use, get someone to help them...etc, only to never even get a reply from the person making an e-mail inquiry.

I think if you are seriously interested in a horse, call the seller and get as much info as you can and find out if further video is feasible and/or necessary. They might be more inclined to take further steps if they don't think you are a tire kicker.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

It took me three years to find my new horse.

I am certain many thought I was a 'tire kicker'. Perhaps I was. I had specific criteria. I was not going to deviate.

A great many sellers are dillusional. Have no concept of what their horse is.

16 hands means that a 5' 2" person towers over it.

Athletic means minutes of video of horse cross cantering HAPPILY with no effort to correct itself.

Trained to third level means video edited to remove any reference to flying changes.

Buying AND selling is a challenge.

And if a seller thinks I am going to drive many hours to see their horse you can bet I am going to ask hard questions before I do.

That is one advantage of shopping in Europe. You can evaluate 20 horses a day (or better) rather than flying here and there and everywhere.

Or, if you live in my area, she'll be riding at the Memorial Weekend Show. You could catch her live!!