The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Big congratulations to Lynn, who finished 5th - with a broken finger.
    ditto as well. Lovely rider (and ride) and really nice horse. I saw them at Plantation CIC last year (or maybe the year before) on xc and really thought then they were something special. She needs to wrap him in bubble wrap for 2014!!!!!! (i.e. I hope they make it to WEG in Normandy)
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

2 members found this post helpful.

Finally watched some SJ. Quimbo looked like he was going round a novice course!

Not sure if I'd rather have him or AN
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Once again, Derek just shows his utter brilliance. I have two points:
    1. If you fall off on a Derek course, you are going SLOWLY. Therefore your fall is not a slam down back breaker but usually a tip off or tip over and you can land softly. This is a generalization of course but that is how he sets up his questions - lines, angles, undualation in terrain so that you have to go SLOW at the tough stuff. This helps horses and riders. If you aren't right, your horse simply GLANCES off, rather than tips over or gets caught and flips...of course one cannot possibly design for all scenarios but over the years I have noticed Derek dials down on making sure tough stuff is not designed to be charged at and it's saving horses and riders.
    This "logic" may not hold the way you've stated it. There was a study done a while back (maybe 10+ years ago) when there was a rash of eventing deaths - it showed that the slower the fall, the more likely the rider would end up under the horse. The faster speed coming in, the more likely the rider would get thrown clear.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Wasn't there a rotational fall at head of the lake? Rider was thrown clear but the horse rotated?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Wasn't there a rotational fall at head of the lake? Rider was thrown clear but the horse rotated?
    Ron Zabala was the only fall that I know of at the Head of the Lake, could be wrong on that. He came off at the first element. Anyone else catch Jan Byyny's SJ round? Looked like a struggle for her. Coming from someone who struggles with SJ I really felt for her.

Yes, Viney, I think it was Ronald and Master Rose.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Ron Zabala was the only fall that I know of at the Head of the Lake, could be wrong on that. He came off at the first element. Anyone else catch Jan Byyny's SJ round? Looked like a struggle for her. Coming from someone who struggles with SJ I really felt for her.
    Heather Gillette also fell at Head of the Lake (she was riding Our Questionnaire). Not a rotational fall though - horse paused at the second element, then heaved his way over.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Big congratulations to Lynn, who finished 5th - with a broken finger.
    Can't believe it took someone this long to point out! I was super impressed with her SJ round. Very accurate and correct riding and that is a damn nice horse! Hope TPTB are sitting up and taking notice.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    It looked like her horse was exhausted! After crashing through the combination, I was all in favor of her simply retiring, but then I'm also not riding at Rolex...
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Not the head of the lake but another water jump- fence 7, I think? It looked to me like the horse rotated but I looked away as soon as it happened...thankfully both horse and rider walked away ok...looking back at the entry list I believe it was Rachel Jurgens and Ziggy, but I might be wrong on that one

It was #41 who fell at the lake. Did the big jump and went to the second. I was in the stands. Couldn't quite tell if it was a rotational or just a nosedive into the water. The rider was very kind, patting his horse and even waved to the crowd once he stood up. His air vest deployed too and he had some trouble getting it off. We took pics of all but the fall. My daughter quit shooting when he went down.
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

My daughter and I did the Land Rover drive thing yesterday. So far I have gotten SIX email quotes! Thank goodness I was smart enough to give them the wrong phone number.