The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Peter Atkins and Henny made it home with a couple of time faults.
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf

4 members found this post helpful.

Vineyridge, your math lesson was amazing! I can now understand and finally get it! Seriously, thank you for that!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    If you don't understand my point then you haven't ridden a super fit horse. Most GP dressage horses are not super fit, because most are ridden cranked down and bottled up and are not really *working* as they should.
    Sorry, but this is laughable. Unless, of course, you can point to your experience competing successfully on these unfit GP dressage horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't think that dressage horses aren't fit, and they aren't all cranked down and bottled up either. However, the fitness required for a GP dressage horse is much different then that required for an eventer. You only need to look at the programs needed to get a horse ready for this level of eventing. Eventing horses have three phases to do before they are done, not just dressage, so often on dressage day they have all sorts of extra energy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Sorry, but this is laughable. Unless, of course, you can point to your experience competing successfully on these unfit GP dressage horses.
    You can't compare the fitness between the two. They are entirely different. Of course a GP horse has to be fit, but it's not the same kind of fit, not even close. It's like comparing a professional ballet dancer with an Ironman athlete. Yes, they both have to be very fit to do well, but it's not the same kind of fit. Different muscle groups and different levels of cardio.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    You can't compare the fitness between the two. They are entirely different. Of course a GP horse has to be fit, but it's not the same kind of fit, not even close. It's like comparing a professional ballet dancer with an Ironman athlete. Yes, they both have to be very fit to do well, but it's not the same kind of fit. Different muscle groups and different levels of cardio.
    Also look at how these horses attacked the XC course, looking for the next fences. Normally a top event horse does not have the temperament required to do straight dressage and vice versa.
    More than a few people have discovered that their next, great event horse, who has the scope and speed, is not happy going Novice, Training or Prelim. Many of those horses go on to successful careers in straight dressage or in some cases HJ.
    That said, many of us eventers need to do a better job understanding dressage so we can train and ride our horses better.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Have you ridden a dressage test on a super fit horse? Most straight dressage horses, in comparison, are not super fit.
    You obviously have not competed in the FEI ring.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I don't think that dressage horses aren't fit, and they aren't all cranked down and bottled up either. However, the fitness required for a GP dressage horse is much different then that required for an eventer. You only need to look at the programs needed to get a horse ready for this level of eventing. Eventing horses have three phases to do before they are done, not just dressage, so often on dressage day they have all sorts of extra energy.
    How many FEI dressage horses have you competed? Different muscles. Different requirements. Fitness is DEMANDED.

Jessica Phoenix was interviewed on the Horse Radio Network on Friday and was considering withdrawing from the competition then. I think it had something to do with the dressage phase...?

Ill weigh in Gymnasts are fit an built for gymnastics, long distance runners are built and fit for running distances and basketball players are built and fit for basketball. A gymnast is fit but will not beat the long distance runner at distances.

Being good at all three phases is what makes great eventing horses so few and far between and the balance so difficult to get its what makes the sport exciting. Don't bash straight dressage horses. The best moving horses can be very forward and almost explosive sometimes. Ever seen Salinero blow through halts? The rider bottles that energy in a positive way. Event horses are being judged against each other not against dressage horses and the rider has to find the combination and horse that fits them and ride that horse to produce all three phases.

Theres something to admire in the fact that horses fit into all kinds of disciplines and are versatile and its important to find the right rider and discipline to make the most of each horses abilities. Dressage takes a different type of mental toughness than Cross Country too Just my humble opinion.
    Gallop on

Interesting stat from EventingNation which would seem to speak for itself: 50% of the top 10 after dressage failed to complete.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by mjhco View Post
    How many FEI dressage horses have you competed? Different muscles. Different requirements. Fitness is DEMANDED.

What difference does that make? How many 4* horses have you ridden?

I didn't say that FEI horses aren't fit but it's a different kind of fitness. A weight lifter couldn't run a marathon. You couldn't take an FEI dressage horse and gallop him 6 miles in 11 minutes based only on his training for FEI dressage.

FEI horses don't gallop for fitness like event horses do. Speed work and Fitness created from speed don't lend to softness and relaxation being easy. Event riders also have to balance their riding between schooling the three different phases.

Thought you might like the TB count:

Name/Place after XC
    Calico Joe 2
    Donner 6
    Syd Kent 13
    Pirate 14
    Daily Edition 16
    Parker 21
    Sal Dali 27
    Irish Diamonds 29

Our Questionnaire E
    Here's To You WD
    Inmidair WD
    Tsunami WD
    Can't Fire Me E
    Ziggy E
    Exponential WD
    Enchantez E
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by arnika View Post
    Peter Atkins and Henny made it home with a couple of time faults.
    My mom is officially obsessed with Peter and Henny now. She just bought two Run Henny Run hats!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Mac Donald View Post
    Jessica Phoenix was interviewed on the Horse Radio Network on Friday and was considering withdrawing from the competition then. I think it had something to do with the dressage phase...?
    Yes super disappointed. Seems like some riders only want to compete if they have a good chance of winning. Sucks for the fans and sponsors.

What is everyone's opinion of the course design and the changes in fence construction?

My immediate impression, after watching snatches of the XC yesterday, was that it was very successful. No serious injuries to horses or riders (correct me if I'm wrong); several of the top riders made it look easy, and less experienced riders either struggled to get around or struggled to make the time. No rotational falls. The horses that made it look easy were rideable and adjustable, and attacked the course but compressed their stride without fighting for the technical combinations.

Problems occurred at a variety of places on course, there was no particular "bogey" fences. Some were downright surprising, like Chilli Morning, Tradind Aces and Catch A Star.

What did anyone else think?

Quote Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
    What is everyone's opinion of the course design and the changes in fence construction?

My immediate impression, after watching snatches of the XC yesterday, was that it was very successful. No serious injuries to horses or riders (correct me if I'm wrong); several of the top riders made it look easy, and less experienced riders either struggled to get around or struggled to make the time. No rotational falls. The horses that made it look easy were rideable and adjustable, and attacked the course but compressed their stride without fighting for the technical combinations.

Problems occurred at a variety of places on course, there was no particular "bogey" fences. Some were downright surprising, like Chilli Morning, Tradind Aces and Catch A Star.

What did anyone else think?
    Totally agree... great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Yes super disappointed. Seems like some riders only want to compete if they have a good chance of winning. Sucks for the fans and sponsors.
    Not as much as it would if they ran on no chance and had a disaster happen that seriously injured either horse or rider. Going around a 4* is no walk in the park, and isn't something you can do an unlimited number of times with a horse. There's something to be said for saving it for a more promising day. It's not like these horses need it for the school at this level.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Can I ask about fitness?

Some of the horses galloped home with time to spare others retired a few fences from the end. Any reason for that? I would assume all the riders knew how long the course was and what it took to get their horses fit so what is the difference?

Any information on the Sunday morning jog?