The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    But that's the whole point of the dressage phase, to demonstrate that your horse, in addition to being that fit, is supple and obedient enough to keep its body parts where you want them, and you are a good enough rider to put them there.
    Have you ridden a dressage test on a super fit horse? Most straight dressage horses, in comparison, are not super fit.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouch View Post
    Looks like Alexandra Knowles could give the rest of the US riders a few dressage lessons. Wow. There's a lot of weekend left, but to be in fourth in dressage in her first **** she must be over the moon.
    I hadn't seen her horse before and she's just gorgeous. That was a NICE test. Too bad about that bobble on the last change or she might have been even higher in the standings. Hope she has a nice go on xc.

1 members found this post helpful.

Does anyone know why the withdrawals of Inmidair, and Exponential ?

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Have you ridden a dressage test on a super fit horse? Most straight dressage horses, in comparison, are not super fit.
    I'm sorry, I'm not understanding your point. Are you saying it's ok for dressage tests to be not very good because the horses are super fit? That's part of what's being tested, and the reason the tests are mid-level, comparable to 3rd. And yes, I have ridden a dressage test on a super fit horse. Have you ever ridden a GP dressage horse? The elite ones are pretty darned hot. That's not very easy, either, but we don't make excuses for them because they're so highly trained and difficult to ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Just watched WFP on Chili Morning, and then watched a young horse, first time at Rolex and can see so clearly why one gets such good marks, while the other is marked down for*small* things that us H/J types usually have trouble appreciating. What a great way to train my eye.

I asked this a while back, but I am old and I forget things.....

Scoring: I know there is a multiplier, so, for instance, WFP got a 77, which, at the lower levels would result in 100 - 77 = 23. He got a 33, so I am guessing the multiplier is a % which results in the additional 10 points.

But, horses in the middle ranks got (e.g.) a 55 score and final dressage mark of 45. Which does not appear to have a multiplier added in.

Can someone please explain the mutiplier again? Thank you.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by faybe View Post
    When your dressage horse is fit enough to gallop around a 4*, let us know how easy it is to keep ANY part of them on track in the dressage ring.
    Yeah, that's the standard cutesy answer. Notice Jimmy Wofford agrees with me. And WFP, Andrew Nicholson, and many others had very few problems riding correctly on their very fit horses. Because the problem isn't the HORSES. It's the RIDING.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Again with the confusion. Dressage isn't the problem, and super-fit horses aren't the problem. As long as Americans say "Oh well, it's tough doing dressage on fitted-up eventers" we'll lag behind the Europeans who can actually, ya know, RIDE those fitted-up horses.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

3 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

LH, the math follows:

Get the average positive dressage percentage score. Subtract that from 100. That will give you the negative dressage score. Multiply the negative score by 1.5 to get the FEI penalty points. Neither USEF nor BE use the multiplier for national events, so the negative dressage score and PP are the same for non-FEI events.

Rolex makes it hard to check because you have to create the positive average score yourself. They don't do it for you unlike most of the other 4*s.

So WFP is 78.33+77.67+77.33=233.33 divided by 3=77.78 subtracted from 100 = 22.22 x 1.5=33.33.

When I do my spreadsheets, I love it when the venue does most of the calculations for me.

Why the 1.5 multiplier for dressage in these short format days is a mystery. In long format days, it was instituted to make dressage more influential as against endurance day.

Edited: Actually the 1.5 multiplier became part of scoring when they changed to PP. It kept the same ratio as before, but has had consequences in these days of short format. FEI has proposed dropping it several times, but that change never makes it through the politics.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Just watched WFP on Chili Morning, and then watched a young horse, first time at Rolex and can see so clearly why one gets such good marks, while the other is marked down for*small* things that us H/J types usually have trouble appreciating. What a great way to train my eye.

I asked this a while back, but I am old and I forget things.....

Scoring: I know there is a multiplier, so, for instance, WFP got a 77, which, at the lower levels would result in 100 - 77 = 23. He got a 33, so I am guessing the multiplier is a % which results in the additional 10 points.

But, horses in the middle ranks got (e.g.) a 55 score and final dressage mark of 45. Which does not appear to have a multiplier added in.

Can someone please explain the mutiplier again? Thank you.
    Average the three scores, subtract from 100, and multiply by 1.5.

No expert here, but I'm bored waiting for an oil change, so I did the math on the first and last places riders as well as James Alliston and Katie Ruppel, and the same rule applies for all of them.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Anyone else getting a lag time with the video vs. the sound on xc? I am hearing cheers and commentary about the way something rode before the horse even gets to the jump.

Oh, it just caught up. Maybe had something to do with me surfing at the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm not understanding your point. Are you saying it's ok for dressage tests to be not very good because the horses are super fit? That's part of what's being tested, and the reason the tests are mid-level, comparable to 3rd. And yes, I have ridden a dressage test on a super fit horse. Have you ever ridden a GP dressage horse? The elite ones are pretty darned hot. That's not very easy, either, but we don't make excuses for them because they're so highly trained and difficult to ride.
    If you don't understand my point then you haven't ridden a super fit horse. Most GP dressage horses are not super fit, because most are ridden cranked down and bottled up and are not really *working* as they should. Also, see my post below.

I just love to see DQs come over here and crack on eventing dressage, when at least the good eventing dressage riders have good medium trots and good canters, and overall eventing dressage has improved so much.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadenz View Post
    Again with the confusion. Dressage isn't the problem, and super-fit horses aren't the problem. As long as Americans say "Oh well, it's tough doing dressage on fitted-up eventers" we'll lag behind the Europeans who can actually, ya know, RIDE those fitted-up horses.
    I'm not confused. It's not just about dressage riding, it's about the horse. Doing a good test on a traditional super fit TB-type horse? Very, very difficult. Doing a test on a super fit more warmblood-minded horse. Much more doable. Compare Blythe Tait riding the two different types of horses. Like night and day.

Nor am I saying that Americans couldn't ride better dressage, but this is an international field and it's not just Americans who have less than stellar tests. Besides, two Americans had EXCELLENT tests. *Most* Americans have no clue as to how to actually ride dressage. The only good dressage instruction I've gotten is from two GP riders from Holland.

Back to XC...commentators for USEF feed? Sinead and ?

Quote Originally Posted by BestHorses View Post
    Anyone else getting a lag time with the video vs. the sound on xc? I am hearing cheers and commentary about the way something rode before the horse even gets to the jump.

Oh, it just caught up. Maybe had something to do with me surfing at the same time...
    They just calibrated the sound to match the video feed. The audio was live at first, and they need to keep us a bit behind in case of mishaps. As soon as I opened my eyes this AM I said a prayer for safe runs for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Back to XC...commentators for USEF feed? Sinead and ?
    Gina Miles

Madeline Blackman's horse spraddled two jumps. Scary.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    LH, the math follows:

Get the average positive dressage percentage score. Subtract that from 100. That will give you the negative dressage score. Multiply the negative score by 1.5 to get the FEI penalty points. Neither USEF nor BE use the multiplier for national events, so the negative dressage score and PP are the same for non-FEI events.

Rolex makes it hard to check because you have to create the positive average score yourself. They don't do it for you unlike most of the other 4*s.

So WFP is 78.33+77.67+77.33=233.33 divided by 3=77.78 subtracted from 100 = 22.22 x 1.5=33.33.

When I do my spreadsheets, I love it when the venue does most of the calculations for me.

Why the 1.5 multiplier for dressage in these short format days is a mystery. In long format days, it was instituted to make dressage more influential as against endurance day.
    Honestly, that 1.5 is going to be the death of you!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Becky
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Becky
    What happened? Was there a fall at 24? I saw the E, but don't know why?

Becky fell off the side but she was up and walking home very shortly after.
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf