The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Just chiming in on the Jennie/Cambalda situation. I have no personal knowledge further than what's been on FB and EN.

However, I had a horse fall on pavement at a show and we scratched him. Not because he was particularly sore -- and it turned out that was, indeed, fine underneath his skin. But the skinned areas, if we HAD put him in the ring, probably would have bled. And blood in the ring = elimination (and usually lots of "talk"). So we just scratched, played it safe, and also didn't give anyone anything to talk about.

That is one very possible explanation for how a horse could fall on pavement, have no ill effects other than some skinned areas, and still need to be scratched.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by JFCeventer View Post
    I believe Demeter is Oldenburg/Dutch Warmblood, don't know the specific sire and dam though
    Thank you! She is lovely.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Also, as a dressage rider, I have to agree with the above observations.

There are riders at Rolex who really, truly understand how to ride every single muscle on a horse, every single second, and how to glean every possible point in that arena.

And there are riders who don't.

THAT is the biggest disparity I saw. And I might add, I saw OLYMPIANS who fall into that second category.

Certainly there are less experienced horses; and there's always a loose cannon or two, given the venue and the brisk weather. That is to be expected. But riders of this caliber who can't keep the horse's haunches on an 8m circle? Come on.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadenz View Post
    Certainly there are less experienced horses; and there's always a loose cannon or two, given the venue and the brisk weather. That is to be expected. But riders of this caliber who can't keep the horse's haunches on an 8m circle? Come on.
    When your dressage horse is fit enough to gallop around a 4*, let us know how easy it is to keep ANY part of them on track in the dressage ring.

I say kudos to all those first timers for making it through phase one, and here's to a safe and fun day tomorrow!
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

11 members found this post helpful.

Question XC course map?

I've looked on several sites and have yet to find a cross country course map. I've done a couple of virtual course walks and seen the still pictures of all the jumps but would love to see an overview in map form.

Anyone?

Yellow Rose Eventing LLC has a photo of the course map on her FB site.
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you, FoxChaser!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Come on. This is the only 4* in America and for half these riders its their first time competing, and maybe their only shot. It's an enormous place with thousands of people watching your every move. How many dressage tests have you done where several hundred watch you warm up from inches away? The Rolex arena is massive, with towering stands and dozens of cameras.

I say they can do whatever the hell they want in the dressage arena if they have earned the right to make it safely around the course I walked today.

The talent and time required to earn the right to enter that venue negates any problems they might have with their haunches on the circle.

12 members found this post helpful.

The top hat is a lovely tradition. Most of the riders rode TO and FROM the barns and in warm-up in their helmets. Then put on their top hats right before entering the ring, for a classical respectful exhibition. Let this tradition continue, we've already lost the long format.
    nitro horse

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ridingagain View Post
    Please educate me... I know nothing about dressage, but I felt sorry for Buck Davidson's horse that just went (forgot the name) where at the trot Buck was banging on the horse's sides with his spurs. Is that supposed to happen? I thought the rider's aids were meant to be invisible.
    Obviously I have no room to talk, as HE'S the one at Rolex! But I wonder this too. Seems like he would make the horse dead to the leg this way, and obviously we eventers want them to be forward and not dead!

I've always marvelled at the completely different style Buck Davison and Bruce Davidson have.
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

2 members found this post helpful.

I was drinking a Maker Mark at 11:00 today watching very talented horses and riders trying their best to be the best, God bless them all and Sally O!
    nitro horse

I LOVED Sally's commentary. Always refreshing to me and entertaining

Looks like Alexandra Knowles could give the rest of the US riders a few dressage lessons. Wow. There's a lot of weekend left, but to be in fourth in dressage in her first **** she must be over the moon.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Quote Originally Posted by emirae1091 View Post
    Obviously I have no room to talk, as HE'S the one at Rolex! But I wonder this too. Seems like he would make the horse dead to the leg this way, and obviously we eventers want them to be forward and not dead!

I've always marvelled at the completely different style Buck Davison and Bruce Davidson have.
    Honestly...I have never thought Buck Davidson was a graceful and natural rider (I've watched him for years). I think he's clearly effective but not a "beautiful" or "harmonious" rider. I watched his ride this year and it reaffirmed how much I'm not a fan of his dressage training/riding techniques. I wish he would really REALLY focus on his dressage - he'd place sooooo much better.
    I completely understand that a fit four star horse is difficult to ride on the flat, but I also know some eventers just don't enjoy working on dressage - so don't. I thought the woman in last place after dressage did a good job keeping things together during her horrible dressage test. Her horse was just NOT into the atmosphere. Oh well. She kept her cool and kept a lid on things that looked like they could have been worse.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

2 members found this post helpful.

Bruce's talent = nature, Buck's talent = nurture.

6 members found this post helpful.

No comments on WFP's giant JEEP logo on his saddle pad? I thought it was really tacky. This isn't Nascar.

Nice test, etc But speaking of "respecting traditions" with the top hat and stuff I just don't think the dressage ring is the right place for something like that. XC, possibly, still not sitting that well, but maybe. I am just not looking foward to watching riders with corporate sponsers plastered all over themselves, and WFP is an influential leader in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by faybe View Post
    When your dressage horse is fit enough to gallop around a 4*, let us know how easy it is to keep ANY part of them on track in the dressage ring.
    So true! Having watched the '96 Olympics and '97 Rolex (when it was a 3 star) in person, the dressage overall is SO much better now. In '97 most riders in the dressage ring just looked like they were trying to keep lids on powder kegs. At the '96 Olympics Mary King was in a class by herself in the dressage test.

As far as the flapping legs, you see this with a lot of dressage riders, not just event riders. It happens because the rider's seat and back are not taking all of the motion of the horse's gaits. It won't make the horse dead to the leg however, because it's not at all the same as the leg being *on* the horse.

Fwiw I wish that all of the riders would wear helmets in the dressage ring. First and foremost for safety reasons, of course. Second, I've always thought riding a horse in a top hat is absurd.

3 members found this post helpful.

If we respected tradition we'd be sending riders over XC fences without vests or helmets and we'd make the horses jump into raging rivers a la Mexico City.

Sports evolve over time especially as we become more aware of safety and I have no issues with a rider making the personal choice to wear a piece of safety equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by faybe View Post
    But that's the whole point of the dressage phase, to demonstrate that your horse, in addition to being that fit, is supple and obedient enough to keep its body parts where you want them, and you are a good enough rider to put them there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Of COURSE that's the point, doesn't mean it's easy.

6 members found this post helpful.