The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Been thinking, which is dangerous.
    I know it's early yet, but from Dressage Day 1 it's almost as if there were two different Rolexes being competed. There is the Rolex of those who have competed in Olympic games and WEGs (or been alternates), and then there is Rolex of the rest who apparently came with no chance to do well. The dressage of the rest seems almost as bad as it was when I first started watching Rolex in 1999.

Even some of the team riders didn't do well on their first horses.
    Agreed, there were some tests that I saw yesterday that were very, very far off the standard. I guess they must be able to jump!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Gotta love the shots of the crowd....chewing gum. They look like cows chewing cud.
    Pure class. . .

It's as bad as the people who sat in front of my husband and me last year and spent the next 30 minutes of stadium eating popcorn passing things back and forth and talking about their trip to somewhere in loud voices. Okay, so we're a little intense especially when we know one of the competitors, but PLEASE shut the Hell up or get out. Finally, one of them said they were bored, thank god because they left.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by Pony+ an inch View Post
    I am drooling over Boyd's horse... only nine years old, horse goes like a champ. Wonder how he jumps!
    Trading Aces... I LOVE this horse. I remember him at his first Advanced with Kylie Lyman riding (first for her too)... They both looked like they were running Training.

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Pure class. . .

It's as bad as the people who sat in front of my husband and me last year and spent the next 30 minutes of stadium eating popcorn passing things back and forth ...
    Um, why is it a problem if the crowd is chewing gum?

2 members found this post helpful.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    There is a BIG difference between formally requesting a change, well in advance of your ride time, due to some sort of unfortunate incident, and just showing up late for your ride time.
    Yes, that's true. I guess in this incident, it wasn't just a lost shoe that had to be tacked on... or a forgotten piece of equipment. It was a horse that was potentially (and now we know WAS) injured during a fall in the barn area. Again, I have NO problems with their final decision. I'm really glad she was at least given the opportunity. But it just struck me as odd really because it was a soundness issue. Could someone potentially look at this and argue that their horse would have been sound on Thursday that wasn't for the jog on Wednesday therefore they should have the opportunity to jog later? I know that's a little reaching, but in our society as a whole, it just seems to be a prevailing attitude and I'd hate for it to creep into eventing.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Um, why is it a problem if the crowd is chewing gum?
    I agree. Not the most photogenic but still... we're complaining about people chewing gum and passing popcorn??
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

3 members found this post helpful.

Geez, has anyone ever looked at the crowd shots at a baseball, football or hockey game? We want people to support eventing, but we don't want them to chew gum, eat popcorn or do anything else that is perfectly acceptable in other spectator sports. Is chewing/eating on camera attractive? No, but these folks didn't ask to be filmed either. Personally, I would love to see a FULL stadium of people chewing gum and chomping on popcorn while watching the dressage. Let's not nitpick the audience that is there!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

10 members found this post helpful.

Hey, I was not complaining about the gum chewing! I thought it was a fun shot. The camera pans to the crowd, all looking in the same direction, chewing gum. It just reminded me of a field of cows, lying down, chewing cud. For the record, I love cows!

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    I agree. Not the most photogenic but still... we're complaining about people chewing gum and passing popcorn??
    Well, this is Coth after all...everyone here is perfect. No gum chewing, popcorn eating or talking in public. And every member has more experience than Sally OC and can make perfect commentary on a live broadcast.

I'm just happy that I can even watch Rolex coverage. Not so long ago there was no tv coverage and there were no computers. I'd read about what happened weeks later in a magazine. (And, yes, I sound like an 80 yo curmudgeon.)

11 members found this post helpful.

Wow WFP and Chilli Morning just rode a beautiful test!
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    Wow WFP and Chilli Morning just rode a beautiful test!
    He did. Seven penalty points (almost two sj rails) better than Calico Joe. So now we wait to see if AN & Quimbo can match him, because otherwise (barring something completely out of the ordinary) the competition is over. I don't see any of the other riders remaining coming anywhere near a 33 PP score. He's got an insurmountable lead for the other riders, IMO.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Demeter looked awfully thin...

Please educate me... I know nothing about dressage, but I felt sorry for Buck Davidson's horse that just went (forgot the name) where at the trot Buck was banging on the horse's sides with his spurs. Is that supposed to happen? I thought the rider's aids were meant to be invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by Trak_Eventer View Post
    Demeter looked awfully thin...
    She did look like she could use more weight, but I'm used to seeing overweight hunters. I loved her, though. Anxious to see her go tomorrow. What's her breeding?
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    She did look like she could use more weight, but I'm used to seeing overweight hunters. I loved her, though. Anxious to see her go tomorrow. What's her breeding?
    I believe Demeter is Oldenburg/Dutch Warmblood, don't know the specific sire and dam though
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    While I think it's in the best interest of the event/sport to give the benefit of the doubt and accommodate competitors as much as possible IF possible, my initial reaction to the news the Jennie Brannigan wasn't riding til tomorrow due to her horse slipping on the wet concrete was "is that legal?"
    About 20 years ago my mare pulled a shoe in dressage warm-up. We notified the warm-up, who contacted the TD and GJ, who gave me a specific amount of time to have the shoe reset so I could ride my test at the end of my division. My friends contacted the show farrier who reset the shoe and we were able to ride.

Stuff happens and when possible most officials and organizers will work with the competior as they are able.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I think that Jennie is a class act, and that article in EN just cemented that. I'm proud to have my generation represented like that, and I wish her all the best in the future. What a pleasant change from some others who have had unfortunate things happen in past years. Jingles to Ping, hoping that the bone scan shows nothing at all and he just needs some ice and rest.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OverandOnward View Post
    I know she's not everyone's cup of tea, and that's ok. I love Sally's comments, personally. And her deadpan humor. It's kind of an auditing lesson for me.
    I agree, I love Sally!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by ridingagain View Post
    Please educate me... I know nothing about dressage, but I felt sorry for Buck Davidson's horse that just went (forgot the name) where at the trot Buck was banging on the horse's sides with his spurs. Is that supposed to happen? I thought the rider's aids were meant to be invisible.
    I saw that as well, I have noticed that in several Event Riders in Dressage in the last several years, What is up with that?
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Been thinking, which is dangerous.
    I know it's early yet, but from Dressage Day 1 it's almost as if there were two different Rolexes being competed. There is the Rolex of those who have competed in Olympic games and WEGs (or been alternates), and then there is Rolex of the rest who apparently came with no chance to do well. The dressage of the rest seems almost as bad as it was when I first started watching Rolex in 1999.

Even some of the team riders didn't do well on their first horses.
    A lot of first time combinations this year. I expect them to put in less than stellar tests. As for the "experienced" riders - I guess their young horses are having trouble settling into that environment.

I figure there have been roughly 40 +/- entries most years. Of those 40 odd entries, only half are really competitive. The rest are getting experience or solid XC machines that 'get through' dressage.

What "we" should take away from the past 2 days is the US had better get better at all three phases. The Brits and NZ's just handed us our hats in dressage. And we know they are really strong on XC and in SJ.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim