The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Interesting to see the top 4 places currently held by riders from 4 different nations. A true international event.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    Agree--I have seen times/divisions adjusted for lost shoes, flat tires, etc. A couple of years ago my horse opened up a groundhog burrow and took a spill while circling the dressage arena and they let us reschedule for later so as to check him out.

In general events seem to try to be accommodating when they can be. In some ways, it might be easier to do at a huge event like Rolex because there is only 1 division, and only 1 phase per day, so less juggling of rings, course changes, etc.
    See that has not been my experience with issues like that. I've witnessed lost shoes, forgotten tack, etc. and the riders always seem to be given a hard time about that so I suppose that was where I was judging from. I truly feel terrible for Jennie and I do hope her first Rolex isn't over before it starts.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Default Helmets at Rolex

I'm always in favor of riders wearing helmets in dressage for safety reasons, but I'd also like to note that many riders actually look better in their helmets than in their top hats.

I noticed this particularly with Kristi Nunnink-she looked really great in her helmet today. Also thought Will Faudree looked elegant and athletic.

On the other hand, I wish Buck had stuck with the helmet he wore at Fair Hill-it looks significantly better than the top hat he wore today and makes him look longer and leaner. Also think PD looks better in the helmet than in the top hat-it makes him look like he has better posture.

If you pick the right helmet, I think they can look great with the tails.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    I'm always in favor of riders wearing helmets in dressage for safety reasons, but I'd also like to note that many riders actually look better in their helmets than in their top hats.

I noticed this particularly with Kristi Nunnink-she looked really great in her helmet today. Also thought Will Faudree looked elegant and athletic.

On the other hand, I wish Buck had stuck with the helmet he wore at Fair Hill-it looks significantly better than the top hat he wore today and makes him look longer and leaner. Also think PD looks better in the helmet than in the top hat-it makes him look like he has better posture.

If you pick the right helmet, I think they can look great with the tails.
    Actually its funny you say this because I purposely kept track of the helmet wearers and I was certainly pleased that more wore their helmets than didn't.

Top Hat Wearers: WFP, Buck, Andrew Nicholson, PD, Becky, Peter Barry, and Shandiss McDonald. The remaining 14 wore helmets which is fantastic to me. Hopefully the trend continues tomorrow!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

1 members found this post helpful.

I just LOVE can't fire me. Really lovely horse.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I was watching on an elderly laptop and FEI tv was stuttering a bit, but does Sir Donovan always go like that? He looked like he was half asleep and about to fall onto his nose at some points!

Quote Originally Posted by Napoles View Post
    I was watching on an elderly laptop and FEI tv was stuttering a bit, but does Sir Donovan always go like that? He looked like he was half asleep and about to fall onto his nose at some points!
    Perhaps she was just a bit cautious. If memory serves they had a E in dressage a couple years ago for disobedience, and then a fall last year (?). Hoping 3rd times a charm for her!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Yes, I thought she was the unfortunate person who had blown up and either E or retired in a high profile dressage test once alright.
    I guess he is a huge horse and takes a lot of holding together, but at some stages it looked like she was having to literally hold his head up off the ground!

I loved Will's test as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JFCeventer View Post
    Thank you for saying this. I mentioned something about it on Twitter and got absolutely flamed for it! While I am happy for Jennie that she can continue on, I have a hard time believing that this would be allowed at any other competition. I've seen people eliminated for being 5 minutes late to their ride time!
    There is a BIG difference between formally requesting a change, well in advance of your ride time, due to some sort of unfortunate incident, and just showing up late for your ride time.

Most GJ that I have worked with (USEF, not FEI) will work to accomodate a change request if the overall schedule allows it. But they won't generally allow you to get away with just showing up late.

At a (national level) HT I was stewarding at earlier this month there was at least one rider allowed to do dressage at a later time because of a lost shoe, and two others allowed to go late, but I was not told the reason.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Been thinking, which is dangerous.
    I know it's early yet, but from Dressage Day 1 it's almost as if there were two different Rolexes being competed. There is the Rolex of those who have competed in Olympic games and WEGs (or been alternates), and then there is Rolex of the rest who apparently came with no chance to do well. The dressage of the rest seems almost as bad as it was when I first started watching Rolex in 1999.

Even some of the team riders didn't do well on their first horses.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

4 members found this post helpful.

Who is the announcer on USEF Network this morning? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Denali View Post
    Who is the announcer on USEF Network this morning? Anyone know?
    Sally OC. Grating.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Sally OC. Grating.
    Thanks... yeah. I'm going to have to mute....

http://eventingnation.com/home/jenni...rom-rolex.html

Jennie Brannigan has had to withdraw due to the injury to Cambalda yesterday. It hasn't improved sufficiently. And more can't be done in the way of diagnosis and treatment unless he is withdrawn.

I have no doubts that Jennie B. will be back at Rolex, and for many Rolex' to come. This is terribly disappointing and my heart goes out to her and to her and Cambalda's connections.

Good for Jennie and the Gardners for putting Cambalda's best interests first.

American 4* rant:

THIS is why there MUST be more than one 4* per year in this country.

It is ridiculous that a rider of this talent, in her first-ever Rolex, loses this 4* ride for a YEAR due to something that blocked her for one weekend out of the entire year.

It is not reasonable to think that spending at least $20k to pop over to Europe to run a 4*, with the stress of travel and time change on the horse as well as the rider, is a reasonable and realistic substitute if a rider and horse can't be ready for the 4* ride at one weekend in April. Even with help from grants, most riders won't be able to do this.

It is not practical - or good for American eventing - to expect that enough riders to constitute a broad base of prepared 4* talent will live and ride in Europe for years to gain that experience and education.

U.S. eventing (and Canada as well, in concert with the U.S.) will either step up and do what has to be done, or simply revise expectations downward re the team and a solid base of 4* riders/horses. Either is acceptable; it's a choice. But fooling ourselves that the Jennie Brannigans of this country are going to achieve their full potential as 4* riders with just one 4* per year on this side of the water is not sane or rational. No one can expect to excel at something on the basis of one competition ride per year, no matter how much training and preparation are done. Only the actual competition truly gives the experience needed.

/ rant over, sorry for any derail

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Sally OC. Grating.
    I know she's not everyone's cup of tea, and that's ok. I love Sally's comments, personally. And her deadpan humor. It's kind of an auditing lesson for me.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OverandOnward View Post
    I know she's not everyone's cup of tea, and that's ok. I love Sally's comments, personally. And her deadpan humor. It's kind of an auditing lesson for me.
    Oh, please let me clarify....I, personally, find all commentary grating when there is only one person doing it. I like the banter and exchanges of opinion of two commentators. It tends to keep thing a bit fresh. It is not a "Sally" thing.

Gotta love the shots of the crowd....chewing gum. They look like cows chewing cud.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JFCeventer View Post
    See that has not been my experience with issues like that. I've witnessed lost shoes, forgotten tack, etc. and the riders always seem to be given a hard time about that so I suppose that was where I was judging from. I truly feel terrible for Jennie and I do hope her first Rolex isn't over before it starts.
    The GJ has leeway to define 'extraordinary circumstances'. Forgetting your girth does not qualify LOL~

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...rolex-kentucky

I am drooling over Boyd's horse... only nine years old, horse goes like a champ. Wonder how he jumps!