The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default All things Rolex competition related--one thread, please

What score did WFP and Seacookie get for dressage? I just watched James Alliston, and he ended up with a very bad dressage score indeed on Parker. 66+ PP.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

WFP was a 45.0 I believe. That's what Rolex FB says

ETA: 46.2

http://scoring.rk3de.org/leaderBoard.html for scores

What happened during Phillip's test?

Andrew Nicholson and Calico Joe certainly aced their test.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

While I think it's in the best interest of the event/sport to give the benefit of the doubt and accommodate competitors as much as possible IF possible, my initial reaction to the news the Jennie Brannigan wasn't riding til tomorrow due to her horse slipping on the wet concrete was "is that legal?"
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

2 members found this post helpful.

Who was in the arena just now? Lovely test overall.

Judges seem to be really, really tough. I thought Will Faudree rode a lovely test, and it didn't make my benchmark.

I was wondering that about Cambalda as well.

Default nice test for Caitlin

great to see Catch a Star do so well. Go Caitlin
    forwård...go forward

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    While I think it's in the best interest of the event/sport to give the benefit of the doubt and accommodate competitors as much as possible IF possible, my initial reaction to the news the Jennie Brannigan wasn't riding til tomorrow due to her horse slipping on the wet concrete was "is that legal?"

It would be in the ground jury's discrection. Honestly, I'm sure she would rather ride today when it is quieter. She actually had quite a decent draw time.

I think with the vet's certification and the eyewitnesses to the fall.....if the schedule permits, they should let them.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Go Becky!

Becky Holder and Can't Fire Me have moved into second.

4 members found this post helpful.

I love Becky!!! I get so excited watching her ride

3 members found this post helpful.

All I can say is "Good thing somebody started a thread!"

Because we all know not having one means that the sport is DOOOMED!
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Judges seem to be really, really tough. I thought Will Faudree rode a lovely test, and it didn't make my benchmark.
    Perhaps they didn't think it was quite forward enough, although it was a lovely test.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    Thank you for saying this. I mentioned something about it on Twitter and got absolutely flamed for it! While I am happy for Jennie that she can continue on, I have a hard time believing that this would be allowed at any other competition. I've seen people eliminated for being 5 minutes late to their ride time!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

3 members found this post helpful.

Being late for your ride time and having your ride time revised due to unforeseen circumstances are two entirely different kettles of fish. Being late for your ride time holds up competition and gets things running behind. Prearranging a change of ride time should not affect the schedule adversely.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JFCeventer View Post
    have a hard time believing that this would be allowed at any other competition.
    But it's NOT any other competition- if I had worked as hard and spent as much as any of those riders to make it to the only 4* on the continent, I would be thrilled that the ground jury was understanding that "sh*t happens" and would be able to help me out. Jennie is a terrific rider and horsewoman, if her horse isn't fit to run, she won't run. But I say kudos to the ground jury for not squashing her chances before she's even started. It's not like there are 400 other ride times to work around, it was certainly not a huge inconvenience to have her ride tomorrow.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I'm a hunter rider and I dunno nuffin' 'bout nuffin' when it comes to eventing, and I had the same question re. Cambalda. I think it is nice that she has that option but did question the legality.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by JFCeventer View Post
    I've seen people eliminated for being 5 minutes late to their ride time!
    Yes you would. And I've seen riders put later in divisions or later in the day for lost shoes. One of our girls was allowed to go last in her division (was a large division) when we had a truck break down on the way to the event. We called the Secretary and they asked the ground jury and were able to make it work with their schedule. They will not for SURE be allowed to go later but you can always ask the ground jury. It happens ALL the time. but you can't just show up late and think you will get to go. But when something wrong happens....it is very posssible for riders to be allowed to go at a different time.

I've also known them to put riders in different divisions on different days at HTs. Basically...this is NOT something unheard of...even at regular HTs. Just not something you want to happen at Rolex. Given the smaller entries at this 4* it is just something that is possible. But the added stress to having to do this...plus she will likely have to pass another jog by the vets....isn't something any rider at this level at an event like this wants to do. It isn't really even an "option"....more that they ground jury decided to give her the option. They could have also said no...and she would have had to WD or hope he wasn't so sore as to be rung out of the ring in dressage. My bet is that he wouldn't have been able to do dressage today at all and it is iffy if he will go tomorrow unless he ultrasounds clean (and you bet they will be doing that now) and he has some good body work done today and in the morning (there is a very good equine massage person there now).
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Apr. 25, 2013 at 02:20 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Agree--I have seen times/divisions adjusted for lost shoes, flat tires, etc. A couple of years ago my horse opened up a groundhog burrow and took a spill while circling the dressage arena and they let us reschedule for later so as to check him out.

In general events seem to try to be accommodating when they can be. In some ways, it might be easier to do at a huge event like Rolex because there is only 1 division, and only 1 phase per day, so less juggling of rings, course changes, etc.

1 members found this post helpful.