The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

BTW - Equine Advocates is also on Twitter: @EquineAdvocates
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, the summit starts tomorrow and not one word has been heard from Equine Advocates. Some of their other speakers are not at all happy about the fact that carriage horse bashing will go on with no one from the industry permitted to set the record straight. No matter how you feel about NYC carriage horses, it's a question of fairness. No one should be lied about and slandered in this manner and not allowed to defend themselves.

2 members found this post helpful.

Have you heard anything about how it went? I kind of expect her to go over like a lead balloon with a crowd that has actually seen horses in real life.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    Have you heard anything about how it went? I kind of expect her to go over like a lead balloon with a crowd that has actually seen horses in real life.
    My guess is that the [most likely] very small audience is already filled with like minded people.
    Perhaps the sympathetic speaker, Dr Hogan, can tell someone how many attendees were there? How the other speakers were received?

I am about an hour and a half away from this place, and never heard a whisper about it, even from my rescue friends.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Since this seems to be/have been a closed meeting with only invited people in attendance put on by an organization that is anti-carriage anyway, why would you be surprised that Forel was invited to speak? And truthfully, how much publicity/weight is this meeting going to have anyway? Perhaps some of the speakers who might be in sympathy with you will speak up.

You have/had a lot of resources available to you to attempt to counteract some of this, including speaking/writing to all of the local media concerning the lack of opportunity to present your side of the story (or maybe they only mentioned you in passing in favor of more important issues). You can write letters to the editor of the local paper. If the conference is covered by local media you can request equal time to present your side. Media loves a controversy anyway.

My personal view is that since this is a closed meeting, absolutely nothing will come out of it--kind of like your local club having a series of speakers in for the members only.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Since this seems to be/have been a closed meeting with only invited people in attendance put on by an organization that is anti-carriage anyway, why would you be surprised that Forel was invited to speak? And truthfully, how much publicity/weight is this meeting going to have anyway? Perhaps some of the speakers who might be in sympathy with you will speak up.

You have/had a lot of resources available to you to attempt to counteract some of this, including speaking/writing to all of the local media concerning the lack of opportunity to present your side of the story (or maybe they only mentioned you in passing in favor of more important issues). You can write letters to the editor of the local paper. If the conference is covered by local media you can request equal time to present your side. Media loves a controversy anyway.

My personal view is that since this is a closed meeting, absolutely nothing will come out of it--kind of like your local club having a series of speakers in for the members only.
    I think you need to revisit the issue:
    The 'local newspaper' is the New york Times.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=315127
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=315998

Yep, not much of support from those people.

Many resources?
    Only the truth and a few friends from around the country.
    A sad ragged bunch, tilting the windmills of organizations and individuals who have more cash than the US government and more faces on the tabloids than the Duggars and the British Royals combined.

'The Media' loves controversy, but not balance. Nor fairness. Only the bottom line, and it seems that can be bought nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I think you need to revisit the issue:
    The 'local newspaper' is the New york Times.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=315127
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=315998

Yep, not much of support from those people.

Many resources?
    Only the truth and a few friends from around the country.
    A sad ragged bunch, tilting the windmills of organizations and individuals who have more cash than the US government and more faces on the tabloids than the Duggars and the British Royals combined.

'The Media' loves controversy, but not balance. Nor fairness. Only the bottom line, and it seems that can be bought nicely.
    The NYT is not the local paper for Chatham NY.
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Apr. 28, 2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Here's their Guidestar info: http://www.guidestar.org/PartnerRepo...ein=11-3313534

Now, if I'm reading this correctly, they took in over $1 millionn in 2011 but ended up about $325,000 in the red? Forel is crowing about all these "sanctuaries" that will take in the 220 NYC carriage horses once they're seized from their owners. It appears that EA has about 70 equines, and they lost $325,000 after taking in over a million in one year? I know that EA is very well-funded, because the benefactors are Wall Streeters. Perhaps the HCANYC could turn this into a 1 percent versus 99 percent story, as the mega-rich EA people want to take away working people's horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    The NYT is not the local paper for Chatham NY.

it's the local papers that the carriage people tilt with.

and yes, the NY Times is local everywhere.....

and the people behind Forel read the Chatham rag....or their supporters....
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Well, the summit starts tomorrow and not one word has been heard from Equine Advocates. Some of their other speakers are not at all happy about the fact that carriage horse bashing will go on with no one from the industry permitted to set the record straight. No matter how you feel about NYC carriage horses, it's a question of fairness. No one should be lied about and slandered in this manner and not allowed to defend themselves.
    Kind of like the "Unwanted Horse Summit" that Sue wallis had, where only pro slaughter people were invited...

2 members found this post helpful.

Each one of these slanted meetings gives you (the carriage groups) yet another opportunity to get your own message out in rebuttal. Yes, it probably is a royal pain in the you know what, and yes, it's a lot of hassle and repetition, but it is also a golden opportunity (see the latest PETA thread) to explain your side, but in a nice and nonconfrontational manner.

And don't forget that unlike most horse groups, yours (carriage people) already have those retirement homes lined up in advance.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Each one of these slanted meetings gives you (the carriage groups) yet another opportunity to get your own message out in rebuttal. Yes, it probably is a royal pain in the you know what, and yes, it's a lot of hassle and repetition, but it is also a golden opportunity (see the latest PETA thread) to explain your side, but in a nice and nonconfrontational manner.

And don't forget that unlike most horse groups, yours (carriage people) already have those retirement homes lined up in advance.
    you are optimistic.

The pro person has to be invited though.

Two years ago, the HSUS organized one of their to-dos in ND, right before some bill important to them was to pass.

It was not that well advertised, but some farmers that the bill was going to hurt, found out about it and had said they would attend.
    The HSUS quickly cancelled the to-do, didn't want anyone else there than their hand picked news media representatives to brainwash about what that bill was and was not.
    They didn't want anyone else asking the hard questions for the media to maybe learn there was other to that bill that was presented by the HSUS.

The same happened when the "puppy mill" bill in either MO or MS four years ago, that the whole dog world was in arms about.

It is not the good sounding, oh so helpful bills with the catchy names the HSUS pushes, it is the small print, that then makes what we do with our animals extremely hard and those that do it second class citizens.

You know, that is the way all works in politics, some citizens have their interest that needs this or that law and regulation and they get their representative to present a bill with what they need.

Then other citizens, that may also be affected complain and run that proposal down, explaining why that is not a good idea.

The trouble is when extremists, as animal rights are, become some of the richest groups in the world with no other to do with that money that bat for their extremist causes and try to bulldoze those over the rest.

The HSUS is one of those, that has spent decades amassing a fortune and are using some of it, I am sure enough is squirreled away anyway, it doesn't hurt them any to spend what they are spending, like keeping 50+ lawyers around, having their president jetsetting all over, etc.

Why are they extremist, you ask?
    Because they hold the extreme position that demands humans quit using animals, ignoring that is how this world we live in works, is what made us humans who we are and is a very important way humans live, by having animals to use in all ways, from the cat in your lap to the egg or meat in your plate and so much else we do and get from them.

Animal rights extremist are using that fortune they have amassed and the millions that fortune is permitting them to get as donations with their drives to try to pass bills that further their agenda.

That is what all of us that have worked all our lives with animals, or have any animals in our lives and want to keep the right to do so, need to keep our ear to the ground and try to defend our world view, that yes, animals do belong in human hands.

Apparently we're just a bunch of bullies. Forel cries about it in her latest newsletter:

"Although I am not an anti horse slaughter expert, I do know something about the carriage trade and why it should be shut down in NYC. This is also an issue that Susan Wagner, EA's president, strongly supports. I was invited to speak about the carriage horse issue and the Avella/Rosenthal state bill that would prohibit the operation of horse-drawn carriages in NYC. My talk was received with much support and enthusiasm. However, when the carriage trade and their supporters learned that I was on the program, they went CRAZY.

Always bullies, the carriage trolls and their pals sent nasty, bullying e-mails to Equine Advocates, made comments on EA's Facebook page demanding equal time and insulting me. They put out a call on the Internet asking people to pressure Equine Advocates. When they were ignored, they escalated their fight by calling the publicists, board members and speakers. One of them walked into the veterinary office of one of the speakers in New Jersey and demanded she do something about me speaking at this conference. This Summit was a meeting of people who are opposed to slaughter - leaders in the field. It was not a place for a commercial enterprise that exploits horses. Nowhere on the Facebook pages of the groups that were involved in this disgusting behavior is there any talk of the horrors of horse slaughter and what can be done about it. There is nothing on these Facebook pages asking their supporters to contact their representatives about the SAFE Act. Even if I were not speaking, they would have absolutely NOTHING to offer such a conference.

This is a group of bullies who has gotten their way in the past by sheer aggressive, bullying behavior. In 2008, they had our fund raiser shut down by bullying the restaurant owner who canceled one week before."

http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...196213923.html
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Even if I were not speaking, they would have absolutely NOTHING to offer such a conference.
    This is 100% the type of quote comment that needs to be rebuked. Ms.Forel as simply realized that her tenuous grasp on the ledge over the carriage issue is slipping so by latching onto another more widely spread topic she is attempting to spread her "word" while seated firmly on the slaughter debates coat tails.

Does E.Forel personally give a hot pocket about slaughter (I truly doubt it). It is undeniably clear visiting her page and her recent over propositioning of the anti-slaughter message shes just looking for a bigger host to parasitize.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Then perhaps you were more successful by NOT being invited.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    This is 100% the type of quote comment that needs to be rebuked. Ms.Forel as simply realized that her tenuous grasp on the ledge over the carriage issue is slipping so by latching onto another more widely spread topic she is attempting to spread her "word" while seated firmly on the slaughter debates coat tails.

Does E.Forel personally give a hot pocket about slaughter (I truly doubt it). It is undeniably clear visiting her page and her recent over propositioning of the anti-slaughter message shes just looking for a bigger host to parasitize.
    In all fairness the Veggie Pride Parade popped up googling her.

I think I'll refer to this nut as "Stalin" from now on. That's because she censors and bans anyone who disagrees with her, and advocates the seizing of private property -- the NYC carriage horses -- by the government. I think it's quite the appropriate nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    I think I'll refer to this nut as "Stalin" from now on. That's because she censors and bans anyone who disagrees with her, and advocates the seizing of private property -- the NYC carriage horses -- by the government. I think it's quite the appropriate nickname.
    I was trying to say to not insult....

but I can't find it in me!

Off to buy clock parts!

Trying to figure out "Veggie Pride Parade". ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    In all fairness the Veggie Pride Parade popped up googling her.